high speed wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high speed wobble

my 01 ultra and the 89 both have this problem go into a corner if there is a groove and i run over it the back halfof the bike does this wobble im talking 75 mph and up i no slow down would a frame stableizer fix some of this problem
    1989 classic 115 big motor 2001 ultra classic 21 on the front

HERD #00106

I think what you are experiencing is when any uneven surface of the road is present. the front of the bike and back of the bike are each traveling on different planes, that causes the uneven feel and slight wobble.

the back roads around Paintsville KY have alot of areas where spots in teh pavement rise or sink, and I felt that the whole weekend of HERDstock
    Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

I was having the same problem with my 08 and was looking at getting a frame stabilizer. I switched tires to the Dunlop Elite 3 series and I have not had a tire tracking issue since. Grooved pavement and tar snakes are almost an non issue with these tires.
      HERD # 00075
      08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
      USMC Veteran

Comment

not trying to hijack, but DDB, glad to hear you like those tires, that is what I was considering for my next set on the fatboy. course I don't think they are offered in the size I need
        Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

the wobble is moving the ass of the bike back and forth up to a foot its not fun trust me i also have the elites on the 01

HERD #00106

Comment

try missing the groove......................... :-)

odd that both bikes do it though,
            Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

if i go into the corner groove or no groove a small bump it upsets the bike and the woble will start not all the time like the bushing are loose in swing arm but there not

HERD #00106

Comment

I jus know you got the right air pressure in em
                THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
                How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

Originally posted by trobbins View Post
                  the wobble is moving the ass of the bike back and forth up to a foot its not fun trust me i also have the elites on the 01
                  Thats a sh*t load of wobble. Bushings in the swing arm maybe? Question.... do you have spokes ? I have seen and heard of riders complaining of the same thing and it turned out to be loose spokes.
                  HERD # 00075
                  08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
                  USMC Veteran

Comment

Checkum wheel bearings,specially on the rears,UHHH Sorry,did`nt mean to start off a hijack in here.
                    Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

are the rims bent....put the bike on the lift and use a pencil(whatever) held against the swing arm. rotate the wheel and notice any space changes between the wheel and pencil....

also found this

http://bettermotorcycling.wordpress.com/tag/wobble/
                      Twenty First Herdster
                      * When Its All Said And Done, Will You Have Said More Than You Have Done?
                      ** How Old Would You Be If You Didnt Know How Old You Where?
                      99 FLSTF
                      03 FLHTCI

Comment

also, give the neck bearing pre-load a check as well......this an often overlooked, and potentially dangerous condition........

Many factors play into the death wobble......It starts at the tires, amplifies through the wheels, bearings, and then through the swingarm, forks, fork neck, and eventually makes it to your handlebars.....

Have "HERD" the same thing about spoked wheel movement as well........
                        U.S. Army "Retired"
                        (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

you know, the rake and trail setup on the bike can play into this condition as well....I know Dave posted a piece a while back about proper setup on a bike......called "rake and trail, explained" or near to it..

I'm sure if you PM him, he can give you the link....a scary deal to be sure.. If you have suspension mods on the bike, and the condition did not occur prior to the mods, you may be facing the rake and trail issue.....just my .02

I want you to be safe !!
                          U.S. Army "Retired"
                          (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

my buddy has complained about this same problem for a year and finally he took my advise and changed his tires..ya they had some miles left but the bike is like new now..old tires are just that old..also his riding partner has an 81 shovel i believe and he had wobble issues at high speed he took my advise also,,he came on a ride with us that previously would have left him at home due to his high speed wobble..now hes back in the saddle.
                            just a thought and cant hurt to check thread for excessive wear or bulges..ride it get the tire good and warm then check the tire for imperfections..you may not feel any but it doesnt take much to throw a bike off..
                            Last edited by colonelangus; 08-02-2010, 01:19 PM.
                            09 Softail Springer FLSTFBT "AKA" Heritage Fatbones Touring
                            www.youtube.com/user/bcvtwin?feature=mhee

herd #148

Comment

I installed a TWR link kit on my classic. I never had a wobble and put it on cause I didn't want none. I did notice a slightly better handling after installation, specially over the tar cracks. Was it worth the money? I haven't wrecked yet.....Glenn

Check out their web site:
                              http://www.twrbaggersplus.com/stabilizer_kits_1995.html
                              Where does it say Humpty Dumpty was an Egg?
                              Official HERD Member #00127 - Glenn
                              Growing old is not for Sissies..........

Comment

Working...
                              X