RK shock conversion on sportsters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RK shock conversion on sportsters

i was asked about the glide shocks i had on my sporty so i thought id post the mod..i first saw it on a bike built by cosmo kramer..lol yup
    anyone riding a sportster knows the suspension is less than perfect maybe ok for solo but not really when riding 2 up and even riding solo potholes ,manholes ,expandion joints on overpasses just kill the back..most aftermarket shocks are still heavy springs with oil etc..so the road king shock conversion is the best thing i did to my sporty .they are air adjust oil filled sprung shocks,and they fit on all years ..i had a nightster and the RK shocks are to long so i picked up electra glide shocks and tamarack 1" lowering blocks install took about an hour total..
    when riding solo i run 5lbs and 2 up about 10lbs..these shocks along with progressive front fork springs and HD performance fork oil is like riding on air ..oh right you are .heres a pic of them on my sporty..ultima makes them in chrome for you chromasexuals lol

pics of lowering blocks installed

heres a pic gators i found to cover brass air valves..i know they look big but it just a close up. try to find them in the other pics

i now a pic of the bike without the gators on the valves..they stick out like a sore thumb..imo
    Last edited by colonelangus; 07-31-2010, 04:58 PM.
    09 Softail Springer FLSTFBT "AKA" Heritage Fatbones Touring
    www.youtube.com/user/bcvtwin?feature=mhee

herd #148

Looks great too! I like it.
    Herd member #85

sigpic

Comment

That's a SWEET lookin' Sporty! I want one.
      H1E2R8D

Comment

Beuaty bike, and thanks for the pics and all the info. I think it will come in very handy.
        Herd #00049 formerly Soccer... Time for a change

Comment

WOW, what a GREAT idea. I've never heard of this before. Great looking mod, and one hell of an addition to the ride. Going to show this to a couple of my buddies riding Sporties.
          Official Member #00149
          2 Stinking Trikes, '09 % '11
          Social Security and Medicare
          Qualified! 65 and still riding
          Official Bona fide Geezer

Comment

I had no idea you could put RK on a sporty, thanks for the information. Great looking bike by the way.
            Herd Member #87
            US Navy Veteran

Comment

thanks guys the guys that pull them off put corvette shocks on with onboard comresser gives 4" of travel for doing the air dragger/bagger thing

herd #148

Comment

We have a 1200c and we ride 2 up all the time. I will have to look in this Mod.

Thanks for posting!

E&T

(chromasexuals?) That us!!!!! :)
                08 FLSTC - cus we likes to ride! HERD#146 - Thanks Classy! USN - Retired
                When I wear an "Old Navy" shirt, it is not a fashion statement, it is just a statement.
                Looking at life from the back of the HERD....All I see is...well, you know! :)

Comment

anything ya need to know just ask ive done it once and im sure ill do it again if not for me one of my buddies..

herd #148

Comment

great post, sweet idea, not saying the mrs' rear end is big or anything but I could use a little cushion when she's on... just saying
                    George
                    Official Herd Member #00174
                    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by o9pghsportsfan View Post
                      great post, sweet idea, not saying the mrs' rear end is big or anything but I could use a little cushion when she's on... just saying

lol the ride is hard enough solo .. hitting a bump when riding loaded just kills the back had to do something and even the progressives are heavily sprung the air adjust is great

herd #148

Comment

Nice post kernel, I was debating between the RK shocks and the progressive's for renas sporty and i got a good deal on the 412's. If they don't last i'll be puttin these on next!!
                        "09" King & "10" Forty-Eight(wifes)
                        If u ain't ridin u ain't livin!!

Comment

Man I wish I could fit on a sportster.... I would love to have a 48
                          HERD # 00075
                          08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
                          USMC Veteran

Comment

looks like I may be adding this to the MOD list along with your mom!
                            Ken 2003 100th Anniversary FLSTF FatBoy Official HERD Member #00172

Comment

I've been ridin on RK shocks on my Sporty for almost 2 years now. Best mod I ever did! Keep an eye on fleabay.. the baggers will upgrade their shocks and put the stocks up for sale to help recover cash. I got mine for about $80.

What pump do you guys use to adjust air? The Harley pump.. or is there a good (cheaper) aftermarket choice?
                              HERD MEMBER #00028
                              http://treadonthis.blogspot.com
                              How about STFU and have a glass of MOO
                              Member of the Moo Ton Crew- Ain't no Atheists at 100 up!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X