Air shocks won't take air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air shocks won't take air

09 Road King, air ride rear shocks do not accept any air. I use the HD pump. I have 2. when I pump in air, on the first 1 or 2 pumps the dial goes straight off the charts. I bled the shocks, both by using the bleeder on the pumps and pressing the pin on the valve to the shocks. I searched the suspension forum here without finding a similar thread.

Whaddya think? Time for new shocks or is there a fix?

As always, thanks.

BB
    Mark
    HERDSTER 204
    09 FLHR
    16 FLHTK

Is there shrader valves in the filler apparatuses ? Maybe if there is then remove the S Valves and see if they are messed up, or down, or, whatever direction a shrader valve goes when it gits bad. LOL
    Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Sounds like a plugged line or something blocking the flow to the shocks. I believe those hoses are all push in. You should be able to push down the collars and pull the hoses apart to check them to see if they are clear.
      A.K.A. Chad
      Official Ear Tag #163
      Official Member Paracord Posse
      2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
      "I talk a lot but don't say much, and I know it..."
      "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

Comment

Good advice guys, thanks. I never messed with them before. Thinking here about your advice, the cap is missing on the Schrader valve. And them red air lines are tiny, real tiny. I bet I got some grit in there.
        Mark
        HERDSTER 204
        09 FLHR
        16 FLHTK

Comment

I was going to say clogged air line too. I need to replace my shocks and I guess I will be doing that when I come back from NM.

2010 FLHX - Street Glide
          HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

If You can release the end of the tube thats attached to the shock, then try installing some air into it through the shrader valve. See if air or dirt blows out the open end of the tube.
            If no air blows through then need new air pipings.
            Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
              I was going to say clogged air line too. I need to replace my shocks and I guess I will be doing that when I come back from NM.

Been thinking about new shocks too. They got 30K on them and are 13 years old. Don't want to break the bank. Let me know what you been thinking of.
              Mark
              HERDSTER 204
              09 FLHR
              16 FLHTK

Comment

I got rid of the air shocks and went with mechanical adjustable. Air always seems to fail.
                OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #00233

Comment

Well I finally got around to messing with these shocks tonight. I got strange results:

1) pulled the lines, they are clear.

2) took the manifold off the bike, disconnected the lines and pulled the schreader pin and put it back in.

Here is what is strange:

I have two of the Harley air pumps. The one I keep in the Kings saddlebag, will not pump air into the shocks, ie a few pumps and it is up to it's limit. The second pump is from my limited. It's just pumps and pumps but does not fill the shocks.

I got some soapy water on all the connections, no bubbles.

I'm at a loss...can the shocks just be bad? 13 years old and 25K miles. Can the "manifold", the splitter you connect the pump to and Y's off to the air lines, be bad?

I'm stopping by my indy I hope this week and hoping it is an easy fix.

If you have changed out your air shocks, what did you go with. Ohlins get glowing reviews, but pricy.

Thanks!
                  Mark
                  HERDSTER 204
                  09 FLHR
                  16 FLHTK

Comment

Following.

2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Look into these. Many have upgraded to legends with glowing reviews and results.

https://www.legendsuspensions.com/pr...nd-revo-a-flh/
                      HERD#00004
                      *disclaimer: I am not an expert. Like everyone else I have an opinion.

HS1 and HS2 Attendee

Paracord Crew Member

Comment

I went from the original air shocks to Progressives and it was better, then I went to Ohlins and there's no comparison. 05 Ultra became a completely different bike. "Herd" good things about the Legends shocks. Everything is better than the stock.
                        Last edited by elPrez; 08-22-2022, 05:33 PM.
                        John
                        Herd member #20
                        2005 Ultra Classic
                        Does my Heaven burn like Hell on you?
                        sigpic

Comment

Cant go wrong with either ohlins or legends
                          HERD#00004

HS1 and HS2 Attendee

Paracord Crew Member

Comment

Well I replaced the airlines and schrader valve for the sum of just ender $8.00.. They hold air, but dropped from 40 to 20 psi overnight. I didn't take it out yet to see if they drop faster being used, one night this week I will get to it. I got me some big bills coming up, new shocks will have to wait until over the winter. I need a well pump, my septic tanks cleaned and pump and mercury switches replaced and an assessment coming up at camp that will be nearly $2K for a new bridge. And that is alright, September and October, are a lot of booked weekends where riding it is out or the Limited will take over. The saga will continue...
                            Mark
                            HERDSTER 204
                            09 FLHR
                            16 FLHTK

Comment

You’re not stuck. You got the Limited. Never had a road king but i sure love my ultra low.
                              HERD#00004

HS1 and HS2 Attendee

Paracord Crew Member

Comment

Working...
                              X