What length 412s?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What length 412s?

I have a new to me 02 FXDL. I'm around 195 pounds +/- on any given day. The previous owner must've bottomed out a lot/was a little more portly than me, some of the wiring to the taillight had obviously been rubbed raw by the tire.

(I fixed the taillight wiring and and added a Kuryakyn LED plate holder.)

Stock shocks are 12". I wouldn't mind adding a half inch to an inch to the ride height as I find myself scraping pegs a lot. (My other bike is an 04 Sportster Roadster with 30" seat height).

Ive also noticed my FXDL is rather harsh over bumps. It's to be expected with a bike that low, but I'd like to mitigate that if possible.

My question: is adding a half inch to an inch or ride height as simple as getting Progressive 412s in 12.6" or 13" lengths or is there something I'm missing?

I mostly ride solo, but for trips with gear I'm sure I'm over 220lbs. Will heavy duty be too stiff for daily commutes?

Just for funsies, here's a pic of the new plate holder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	1223125
    New plate holder, wired for run/turn signals.

I put Progressive 440s on my wide glide, they were 12.6". The ride height was decent and I never ran into a wire rubbing issue but I wasn't overly impressed with the ride quality of them.
    Joe the One Antlered Moose
    Herd member number 00098
    Back in the breach!

Comment

Originally posted by Unimoose View Post
      I put Progressive 440s on my wide glide, they were 12.6". The ride height was decent and I never ran into a wire rubbing issue but I wasn't overly impressed with the ride quality of them.
      Should I spring (pun intended) for the Legends or Ohlins?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3nose View Post

Should I spring (pun intended) for the Legends or Ohlins?

My personal opinion,,If you can go with the Legends, they are worth the money. But either one would work well.
        2010 FLHX - Street Glide
        HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Danny3!

Don't be afraid to call folks at Progressive, and others... like Dennis Kirk and J & P... they have tech folks that will discuss this stuff.

Also, look at some Youtube vids on how to set preload and sag if/when you change. Matter of fact, the thread just below this one about setting "sag" posted by DaFish in the suspension grouping is a great read. Having to do with sport bikes, but the principles are the same.

~~

Should you go Progressive, below is a pic of my old Superglide with Progressive 412's... with the "covered" skirts, to hide the springs. I always liked this look, but it was entirely cosmetic. These were 12 inchers...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3349.jpg Views:	1 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	1223212
          Last edited by Big D; 07-25-2017, 11:07 AM.
          2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

Comment

Working...
          X