T&T Fabrication GPS mount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T&T Fabrication GPS mount

With my planned ride to Nova Scotia this September I decided a decent bike GPS and proper mount would be a really good idea. Prior to this I used my ordinary GPS and zip ties through the windshield bag drain holes to hold it in place. It wasn't great but it worked well enough. After deciding to upgrade the GPS I figured updating the mount would be a good idea too. I didn't want to put permanent holes into the fairing or mount it on the bars. While doing some research I found the T&T Fabrications website and decided to give it a shot. They had two options available, one for those of us with windshield bags and those of us without.

First impressions:
    The mount looked sturdy and clean enough. The holes had to be drilled out a bit more to fit my Tom Tom as they were based on a Garmin mount but I knew that going into it. Obviously the 2 piece mount allows them to set it up for either bag or bagless options.
    IMG_0131 by unimoose1, on Flickr
    IMG_0132 by unimoose1, on Flickr

The mount was designed to hold the GPS just underneath the height of the stock windshield, which makes sense. The mount sits pretty tight to the window pocket, as that pocket was set up with zip ties to hold my old GPS before it's not one I use regularly so accessing it isn't the biggest deal in the world. I keep a pair of clear glasses in there in case it gets dark as we are riding so it's not something I access on a regular basis.
    IMG_0204 (1) by unimoose1, on Flickr

The only "issue" I have with the mount is where it positions the GPS in relation to my line of sight for the gauges. I took this picture from right in front of my eyes to give you an idea. Of course I am 6'4 but even a few inches shorter and most of the top of the gauges would be blocked. In any case you can still get the bike speed on the GPS so that's not the biggest issue in the world.
    IMG_0202 by unimoose1, on Flickr

I like the idea that the GPS is easily removable, the mount is tucked tight to the windshield bags so it becomes more or less hidden with the GPS removed, and if it becomes the biggest deal I can always remove it and use the quick disconnect to undo the wires. Shipping was pretty quick as well. I'd recommend them if you're in the need of a GPS mount.
    Joe the One Antlered Moose
    Herd member number 00098
    Combat Vets Motorcycle Association # 19938

It looks like a nice solid mount, but the placement would probably make me a little nuts. Any way to add another piece of metal to raise it above the gauges and still keep it in your line of sight? Looks like you could bolt a sized piece of metal to the face of the T&T mount, spray it gloss black, and then just drill corresponding holes to match your TomTom mount.
    Last edited by Firenailer; 04-25-2018, 12:53 PM.
    Bob

Official HERD Member #00230

Westchester County, NY
    '17 FLHXS Street Glide Special

Comment

Look like a pretty good mount and I would think that the position it is in would be about right to keep the weather off it
      1986 FXR 2015 Road Glide

Member #00014

Comment

Firenailer fire was considering another piece to lift it a few inches but I don't know that it would lift it high enough to get it off the gauges.

Happy Hours I agree with the height and weather plus pocket accessibility
        Herd member number 00098

Comment

Let me take a picture of the mount I got that fits your inner-fairing. BRB....
          2010 FLHX - Street Glide
          HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	971.6 KB
ID:	1235239Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	978.3 KB
ID:	1235240Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1235241
            2010 FLHX - Street Glide
            HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

TheBoss I like that mount but I'm pretty sure I'd lose the GPS behind my bars.
              Herd member number 00098

Comment

Originally posted by Unimoose View Post
                TheBoss I like that mount but I'm pretty sure I'd lose the GPS behind my bars.
                Forgot about you switching the bars!
                2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Working...
                X