Sena Bluetooth Communications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sena Bluetooth Communications

Well, I finally took the leap into the Bluetooth headset communications realm and will cut the cord.................I have been using the Harley factory corded headset for the last several years, about four I think and Michelle uses her phone with a set of ear buds. She isnt a fan of the way my music plays...........Goes from John Denver to Ozzy and she hates that.

Now that she has a 3/4 helmet I wanted to get her to something with in helmet speakers. I spent the last three days reading and researching various BT headsets and settled on the Sena. Even spent some time on the phone with Sena asking questions so I think I have researched it about as well as could be. I was primarily looking at the Sena since they released the Sena Freewire early this year which allows BT connection to the new Harley infotainment system.

I also wanted to be able to pair my headset up with other riders, mainly Dave & Phillip as we ride together a lot...................They are purchasing the Sena BT headsets as well.

I chose the Sena as they are the gold standard as far as BT motorcycle communications. I have ordered these so once they are delivered I'll post up more information about the install and first impressions.

I went with the Sena 20S for our headset

Click image for larger version

Name:	sena 1.png
Views:	65
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	1217971

And the Freewire to make to connection to my Harley infotainment system

Name:	freewire.png
Views:	65
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	1217972

Herd Member #87
    US Navy Veteran

Gonna be interesting!
    Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
    Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
    See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

What is the adapter for?
      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
        What is the adapter for?
        The Freewire adapter plugs into the Harley seven pin console connector. Which allows you to Bluetooth your wireless headset to the infotainment system and operate the wireless headset just like you would the corded version that we have been using. The adapter is the go between for the wireless headset and the infotainment system.
        Herd Member #87
        US Navy Veteran

Comment

Sounds interesting, especially talking to other riders. Wonder what that range is. Nice to let your buddies know when you need to take a break
          x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
          HERD member #66
          HS I Survivor
          HS II Survivor
          HS III Survivor
          HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

Comment

Originally posted by Geespot View Post
            Sounds interesting, especially talking to other riders. Wonder what that range is. Nice to let your buddies know when you need to take a break
            Line of site up to 1 1/2 miles is the claim.
            Herd Member #87
            US Navy Veteran

Comment

I have the Scala Unit and like it and some friends have the Sena and are happy with them.
              2018 Road Glide
              Member #00014

Comment

Originally posted by wndchsr View Post

The Freewire adapter plugs into the Harley seven pin console connector. Which allows you to Bluetooth your wireless headset to the infotainment system and operate the wireless headset just like you would the corded version that we have been using. The adapter is the go between for the wireless headset and the infotainment system.
                The Freewire, are they 3 receptacles on the side for the cables? Where is this unit stored when plugged in? If in the infotainment compartment, does the door to that compartment allow for a wire to sneak out, when closed?
                Mark
                HERDSTER 204
                09 FLHR
                16 FLHTK

Comment

How does the sound compare to the wired system? Do you get a richer sound? I feel like I have to shove the headset down my ear (closer to) in order to get a good sound of music.
                  2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                  HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by BaggerBum View Post

The Freewire, are they 3 receptacles on the side for the cables? Where is this unit stored when plugged in? If in the infotainment compartment, does the door to that compartment allow for a wire to sneak out, when closed?
                    You plug it in the to 7 pin console communication port and then mount it on your bars or somewhere else up front. I'll mount like that for now but the permanent home for it will be in the tour pak once I can find a long enough 7 pin cord.

Name:	freewire1.png
Views:	63
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	1218025
                    Herd Member #87
                    US Navy Veteran

Comment

So it's not waterproof?
                      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
                        So it's not waterproof?
                        Yes but I dont want it mounted on the bars..............Hate crap strapped to the bars and it'd be an easy swipe for someone that walked by so it'll be mounted in my tour pak once everything is said and done.
                        Herd Member #87
                        US Navy Veteran

Comment

You going to run a dedicated 7-pin connector to the tourpack? That would be the way to go I think.
                          Mark
                          HERDSTER 204
                          09 FLHR
                          16 FLHTK

Comment

Originally posted by BaggerBum View Post
                            You going to run a dedicated 7-pin connector to the tourpack? That would be the way to go I think.
                            Yes, that'll be the final solution. I'll just attach it to the bars for now but prior to our Canada trip in July it'll be mounted permanent in the tour pak.
                            Herd Member #87
                            US Navy Veteran

Comment

I know I have an old 7 pin connector wire that's been stretched to Kansas and back. I wonder how it would look if I mount and run the wire under the tank and to the tour pak. Can you post a side picture of the adaptor 3 ports?
                              2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                              HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Working...
                              X