Modular Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modular Helmet

I purchased a modular helmet last year..................I like the modular helmets for the versatility they offer in bad weather. I am on my second one as the first didnt work out as well as I had hoped. I tried to save a little money on the first purchase and that didnt work out as well as I had hoped.

The helmet I purchased last year was the Stealth Vertice.

http://www.jafrum.com/Shop-By-Brand/...Modular-Helmet

I didnt like the mechanism to activate the internal flip down sun shield.

And then the molding around the base of the helmet cracked.

And the padding on either side would never stay in place..............Which aggravated me.

The good thing is the internal padding felt like velvet..........and the helmet was not overly noisy and the weight was ok but the negatives were just too much for me.

So I purchased a new modular helmet from the Harley dealership yesterday.............A bit more cost but given the quality of the other helmet I have from Harley I have high hopes from this one. The helmet I purchased can be found at this ink.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...modular-helmet

I really like the internal flip down mechanism activation and release mechanism much better. First photo is the activation mechanism and the second is the release.

After installing my headset, the padding stays right where it should be.......Unlike the previous helmet.

Internal material.

Happy with the purchase so far but this time next year will tell the tale I suppose.

Herd Member #87
    US Navy Veteran

Thanks for the write up Jeff. What is the weight comparison against the half-helmet? Also, can you get the modular with build in headset and microphone?
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
      Thanks for the write up Jeff. What is the weight comparison against the half-helmet? Also, can you get the modular with build in headset and microphone?
      Naturally the weight of the modular will be slightly heavier than a half for obvious reasons but I dont think its enough to discount the use of a modular or even the 3/4. I rarely wear a half helmet anymore. My ears are bad enough and the 3/4 and modular help out with that. Plus the fact in cold and rainy weather.................The half sucks where the modular and 3/4 helmets shine.

I dont know about built in at the time of purchase, but I use the Harley headsets in both my 3/4 and modular helmets..........The install takes about 30 minutes and one beer.
      Herd Member #87
      US Navy Veteran

Comment

That appears to be a very nice helmet. I`d just about bet that it will hold up and do the job for You.
        Boss already asked the Qs that I was thinking of.
        If I were to buy a helmet, after reading this, I think thats the one I`d go for.
        I just might any way, one fihr Me and one fuhr wifey, but first, what about the internal intercom/bluetoot thing.
        Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Originally posted by wndchsr View Post
          The install takes about 30 minutes and one beer.

Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

I've had an HJC Modular for a long time. And loved it for quite awhile. Until one July 4th weekend when we got caught in heavy traffic in high heat. Switched to a half after that. Tried riding with my modular again a couple of weeks ago and got frustrated by the reduced visibility to the sides. But always liked the protection and options in my modular. Been considering a 3/4 for awhile.

The one you bought looks nice Jeff. Hope it works out real well for you.
            A.K.A. Chad
            Official Ear Tag #163
            Official Member Paracord Posse
            2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
            "I talk a lot but don't say much, and I know it..."
            "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

Comment

I use the headset from Harley in both my 3/4 & the modular type helmet, but I imagine the Bluetooth would mount up in a very similar manner.

3/4

Modular install

Herd Member #87
              US Navy Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by hockeydawg12 View Post
                I've had an HJC Modular for a long time. And loved it for quite awhile. Until one July 4th weekend when we got caught in heavy traffic in high heat. Switched to a half after that. Tried riding with my modular again a couple of weeks ago and got frustrated by the reduced visibility to the sides. But always liked the protection and options in my modular. Been considering a 3/4 for awhile.
                That is why I have both 3/4 and modular as options Chad..................For me personally I wont ever go back to a half as a primary helmet.

The 3/4 is a fantastic design for all around..........The slight reduced peripheral vision in a modular or full face type helmet is about the only draw back as I see it but once you know it and realize its there or not there so to speak you can simply adjust the way you ride and it no longer becomes an issue.
                Herd Member #87
                US Navy Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by wndchsr View Post

That is why I have both 3/4 and modular as options Chad..................For me personally I wont ever go back to a half as a primary helmet.

The 3/4 is a fantastic design for all around..........The slight reduced peripheral vision in a modular or full face type helmet is about the only draw back as I see it but once you know it and realize its there or not there so to speak you can simply adjust the way you ride and it no longer becomes an issue.
                  Absolutely. I knew how to ride with the modular when I wore it every day. Forces you to turn your head more, which you should do anyway. The half helmet kinda lets you get a little sloppy on that.
                  A.K.A. Chad
                  Official Ear Tag #163
                  Official Member Paracord Posse
                  2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
                  "I talk a lot but don't say much, and I know it..."
                  "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

Comment

Originally posted by hockeydawg12 View Post

Absolutely. I knew how to ride with the modular when I wore it every day. Forces you to turn your head more, which you should do anyway. The half helmet kinda lets you get a little sloppy on that.
                    Very true Chad.
                    Herd Member #87
                    US Navy Veteran

Comment

I have the 3/4 on the shelf as an alternative helmet with the headset installed but I would like to try the modular to see if I would like it.
                      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Nice looking helmet, Jeff. I never wear my 1/2 anymore. Whenever I wear a helmet, it is almost always my 3/4.

For winter, there is No Way to beat a modular.
                        Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
                        Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
                        See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

Originally posted by LilJo View Post
                          For winter, there is No Way to beat a modular.
                          Yes sir.
                          Herd Member #87
                          US Navy Veteran

Comment

Okay Darth Vader I dont know if I can spot you on the road wearing a Black helmet Im so use to following white and I really like the material of that one you are throwing away. Cant believe it fell apart on you. Was that helmet made by Stealth or was that just the model name.

All kidding aside though Ive always had success with all my Harley 3/4 helmets it was just the 1/2 helmets that got ratty looking.
                            sigpic

Official HERD Member #00207
                            2017 Roadking
                            RIP Ride On Larry "Ozzyrral" Weaver 6-28-2016

Comment

Originally posted by outriderone View Post
                              Okay Darth Vader I dont know if I can spot you on the road wearing a Black helmet Im so use to following white and I really like the material of that one you are throwing away. Cant believe it fell apart on you. Was that helmet made by Stealth or was that just the model name.

All kidding aside though Ive always had success with all my Harley 3/4 helmets it was just the 1/2 helmets that got ratty looking.
                              I believe it was made by Stealth and the model was a Vertice. The helmet interior was and is in very good shape and was supper comfortable. The issues I had with it was the molding cracking. the flip down sun shield not acting properly and was hitting my eye glasses.
                              Herd Member #87
                              US Navy Veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X