powder coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powder coating

well finally got the PC room finished in my shop..
    started with the headlight bracket on my crossbones..
    i used super mirror black ill post a pic when it kools its not bad for first real attempt on something to be used.
    09 Softail Springer FLSTFBT "AKA" Heritage Fatbones Touring
    www.youtube.com/user/bcvtwin?feature=mhee

herd #148

Looking forward to seeing how it came out
    HERD Member #114
    2007 FLHTCU Ultra Classic
    When all else fails, GET A BIGGER HAMMER!
    If common sense was so common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Comment

first thing I noticed when I powdered is it friggen real easy to get too much on.
      THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
      How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

well first try went not to bad but second way wrong compressor didnt kick in and the peice wasnt prep'd well enough i guess ..oh well better luck tomorrow..ill post pics of the good one tomorrow the other has been blasted ready for second round..

herd #148

Comment

Originally posted by colonelangus View Post
          well first try went not to bad but second way wrong compressor didnt kick in and the peice wasnt prep'd well enough i guess ..oh well better luck tomorrow..ill post pics of the good one tomorrow the other has been blasted ready for second round..
          Prep is everything when powder coating, just like when chrome plating.....if the finish isn't prefect durning prep, it will show right thur the final product!
          OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
          With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
          FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
          RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Definitely interested in seeing this. Thanks for posting and I can't wait to see some pics.
            Dane

'97 Fatboy - Screaming Eagle, Porker pipes, S&S carb, wide tire kit, custom Corbin, oil leak, etc.
            Official HERD Member #00147

Comment

A friend of mine has done some powdercoating for me this year. The first piece he did was mirrorblack on the front fender skirt. I did'nt think it matched the paint very well. So he did it again in gloss black. I thought it matched the paint better. Just my opinion.
              Herd member #85

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strat HD View Post
                A friend of mine has done some powdercoating for me this year. The first piece he did was mirrorblack on the front fender skirt. I did'nt think it matched the paint very well. So he did it again in gloss black. I thought it matched the paint better. Just my opinion.
                well the super mirror black im using is a perfect match.the stuff i had done professionally didnt match as good as this does.what brand is your buddy using..i use columbia coatings products they seem to be some of the best out there imo
                will post pics later today

herd #148

Comment

I'll find out later today when he gets off work.
                  Herd member #85

sigpic

Comment

ok heres a few pics of what ive beed doing.first pic is first try on parts to be used instead of test peices
                    coverage is ok but thin which shows grain/surface inconsistancies

next is second try coverage is thicker and was hot coated second time

back on bike

Last edited by colonelangus; 08-10-2010, 01:31 PM.

herd #148

Comment

That second try looks good.
                      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

thanks its a start..it easy to do test peices but they are generic flat peices of tin ..its a little harder with a more intricate peice such as this little mount ..it takes less air presure and low kv's to get in the corners about 15-20kv's and the paint should look like youve exhaled a cigarette if that makes sense anymore and it wont get into the nooks and cranies

herd #148

Comment

I've tried to do this a few times, it ended up being cheaper to have it done. (I screwed up every piece of metal) I never did get the hang of it. LOL. Looks good though, I might try again.
                          Justin, HERD member 00016
                          97 Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by autotec View Post
                            I've tried to do this a few times, it ended up being cheaper to have it done. (I screwed up every piece of metal) I never did get the hang of it. LOL. Looks good though, I might try again.
                            well i refuse to pay the stupid prices for pc my sissy bar cost me 100.00 with the side plates and my bars were 50.00 ..so it wont take long to pay off the 500.00 i spent on the system..i didnt go with a 100.00 ebay cheapy or a chicago electric either..you should get back into it there is forums like this one for info and help ..i suggest columbia coating

herd #148

Comment

Originally posted by colonelangus View Post
                              well i refuse to pay the stupid prices for pc my sissy bar cost me 100.00 with the side plates and my bars were 50.00 ..so it wont take long to pay off the 500.00 i spent on the system..i didnt go with a 100.00 ebay cheapy or a chicago electric either..you should get back into it there is forums like this one for info and help ..i suggest columbia coating
                              I should. I bet the products and the process is much easier now than it was when I first tried doing it. I think more powder ended up on me than the part I was trying to do. That was a bad week. LOL.
                              Justin, HERD member 00016
                              97 Fatboy

Comment

Working...
                              X