Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the nozzle of a grease gun go together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinish
    replied
    Originally posted by RoadKing View Post
    You could also just stop by your dealer and see if they have part no: 50972-75 which is the grease fitting and lists for $.50.
    I actually thought about trying this today. The closest dealer is about 30 miles away but we were close to there for a wedding this afternoon. Instead of buying from the HD dealer, I tried three or four auto parts stores to no avail. I really hate buying anything from the dealer (stealer?) including bikes so I will try your other excellent suggestion first. Thanks.

G'day,

Vinish

Leave a comment:

• RoadKing
    replied
    You could also just stop by your dealer and see if they have part no: 50972-75 which is the grease fitting and lists for $.50.

Leave a comment:

• RoadKing
    replied
    Try any auto service station that does chassis lubrication. They ought to have a box of replacement fittings and be willing to sell you one or just give it to you.

If you can't find one anywhere else and you're willing to wait for snail mail, just PM me your address and I'll gladly mail you one.

Leave a comment:

• Vinish
    replied
    The flexible wand makes it much harder to break off a fitting :ha

One more thing, the fittings come in both SAE and Metric -- no idea which one HD used. I got a box of assorted SAE fittings from Harbor Freight for $7 which I use from time to time when I come across a damaged, missing or corroded one. If it doesn't fit I just carefully drill and tap it.
    The threads on the zerk fitting are 1/4 inch x 28 thread pitch so I would assume this is the SAE type.

Dang it. I tried 4 different auto parts and one big box hardware today looking for zerks. The big box hardware did not sell them and all of the auto parts stores only sold them in packs of 10 for about $8. Anyone have a suggestion where I can buy just one zerk?

G'day,

Vinish

Leave a comment:

• RoadKing
    replied
    The flexible wand makes it much harder to break off a fitting :ha

One more thing, the fittings come in both SAE and Metric -- no idea which one HD used. I got a box of assorted SAE fittings from Harbor Freight for $7 which I use from time to time when I come across a damaged, missing or corroded one. If it doesn't fit I just carefully drill and tap it.
    Last edited by RoadKing; 06-13-2014, 12:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vinish
    replied
    It's a standard part. Should be able to get at any auto parts store. And while your at it, replace the end of your gun with a flexible rubber one. Should solve all your grease related problems.

Harbor Freight $3.99
    Thanks. I am glad it is a standard part. I should be able to get it today and put an entire tube or grease into the steering stem tonight. I am still bound and determined to beat this nozzle problem. I hate losing the battle against something so simple. If I do decide to declare a truce, I will look for a flexible wand like you show.

G'day,

Vinish

Leave a comment:

• RoadKing
    replied
    Originally posted by Vinish View Post
    CLL375, Thank you. That is exactly what I was hoping someone would know or do. You have been a big help. If we ever cross paths, it would be my honor to buy you a drink. Someone else asked if I took the plastic cap off the grease cartridge. The answer is yes, I took off both caps correctly. If I remove the nozzle, grease will come out the stem. I will reverse the spring and try it again tonight. I don't like to admit defeat against simple mechanical devices. This time its personal :) Unfortunately, in trying to remove the nozzle from the zerk on my bikes steering tube, I broke off the zerk. Cracked it clear in half near the outside end of the threads. I was able to remove the remaining threads from the neck tube but now have to find the proper size zerk. I hope it is not a specialty part. Nothing's ever simple :( G'day, Vinish
    It's a standard part. Should be able to get at any auto parts store. And while your at it, replace the end of your gun with a flexible rubber one. Should solve all your grease related problems.

Harbor Freight $3.99
    Last edited by RoadKing; 06-13-2014, 09:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Vinish
    replied
    CLL375, Thank you. That is exactly what I was hoping someone would know or do. You have been a big help. If we ever cross paths, it would be my honor to buy you a drink. Someone else asked if I took the plastic cap off the grease cartridge. The answer is yes, I took off both caps correctly. If I remove the nozzle, grease will come out the stem. I will reverse the spring and try it again tonight. I don't like to admit defeat against simple mechanical devices. This time its personal :)

Unfortunately, in trying to remove the nozzle from the zerk on my bikes steering tube, I broke off the zerk. Cracked it clear in half near the outside end of the threads. I was able to remove the remaining threads from the neck tube but now have to find the proper size zerk. I hope it is not a specialty part.

Nothing's ever simple :(

G'day,

Vinish

Leave a comment:

• CLL375
    replied
    The only thing I see is wrong with your diagram is the spring is backwards.

Leave a comment:

• CLL375
    replied
    Here ya go. I took mine apart for ya.

Leave a comment:

• outriderone
    replied
    Take the grease gun back to Home Depot get another one

Leave a comment:

• Happy Hours
    replied
    Originally posted by vlade View Post

they prolly hate sein you drive up to home depotthey be sayin "here comes El cheapo Grande with his Taco bell coupons to pay us oft"

.:laughout:laughout:laughout

Leave a comment:

• BigWorm
    replied
    they don't like taco bell. they want wendys, i like wendys too.

Leave a comment:

• vlade
    replied
    Originally posted by BigWorm View Post
    i don't know how legal they all are, they work very good and i reward them every day.
    they prolly hate sein you drive up to home depotthey be sayin "here comes El cheapo Grande with his Taco bell coupons to pay us oft"

Leave a comment:

• BigWorm
    replied
    i don't know how legal they all are, they work very good and i reward them every day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X