Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the nozzle of a grease gun go together?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the nozzle of a grease gun go together?

This is a little embarrasing but I've never owned or even used a grease gun. Today I went and bought one from Lowes and tried to use it. I could not get any grease to come out the nozzle even with it off the zerk. Something was wrong. Even pressing real hard with the nozzle off the zerk, the pump handle would not move in. I pushed so hard on the pump handle that grease came out the screws where the extension screws into the handle assembly. It was as if the nozzle was blocked. So I took the nozzle apart and, unfortunately, some pieces fell out and I don't know how they go back in. Attached is a drawing of the pieces in the nozzle. Sorry, I could not figure out how to put the image in my post, only as an attachment. My questions are:
    1. Where does the ball bearing go?
    2. Should the tapered spring have the wider end toward the nozzle case or towards the extension?
    3. Do I show the tapered spring in the correct place?
    4. Is the black rubber part supposed to be in there? At first, it appeared that it had no hole in the end through which grease could pass. Then I poked at it and found that it has a tiny little hole in the tip.
    5. After putting it back together in the manner shown, something was wrong. I could attach it to the small zerk but could not remove it from the zerk. I literally pulled with all my might and no go. I then bent the nozzle case down thinking, incorrectly, that this might detach it from the zerk. Nope, it snapped the small zerk in half leaving some of the zerk threads still in the neck tube of my motorcycle :( I got it out.
    6. The only way I could get the nozzle off the zerk was to partly unscrew the nozzle case from the extension
    Any help or advice you can offer would be appreciated.

G'day,

Vinish

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grease Gun Nozzle.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1084313
    Last edited by Vinish; 06-12-2014, 11:19 PM.
    Official HERD Member #00217

did you draw the diagram?
    Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

Yes, I drew the diagram. It is my guess as to how it goes back together but was hoping someone who KNOWS can tell me where my guesses are wrong.

G'day,

Vinish
      Official HERD Member #00217

Comment

the ball is correct being on the outer of the nozzle. the spring should be reversed.without taking one of mine apart and being 100% the rubbers surround the metal insert with the "u" shape of the rubbers pointing out.
        Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

grease guns are tricky.

Comment

i can take one apart if i need too. no problem

Comment

just go buy another hose an nozzle, if you cant get the fitting oft the zerk then loosen the nozzle, shud see a fine finger grip machining just above the adjustment joint.

ehh did you take the plastic cap oft, put that end it in the gun then pull the alumin pull tab oft an then screw the plunger assembly back on? then sometimes the plunger dont start rite in the carboard tube.
              THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
              How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

Originally posted by BigWorm View Post
                i can take one apart if i need too. no problem
                thats why you got them messicans huh

Comment

grease guns are tricky.
                  I have had a fight or two with em

Comment

Nozle??? I have never in my life tuk one apart they are pretty much fool proof

Comment

Originally posted by vlade View Post
                      Nozle??? I have never in my life tuk one apart they are pretty much fool proof
                      i wouldn't say fool proof but its only a check valve. big orifice going out of the gun. small orifice going in the zerk fitting. bleeding the basterds was always my biggest problem. thats the tricky part for me.

Comment

i wouldn't say fool proof but its only a check valve. big orifice going out of the gun. small orifice going in the zerk fitting. bleeding the basterds was always my biggest problem. thats the tricky part for me.
                        I dont knoe they prolly built so cheap nowadays some fugger might have even jamed the hose up with somethin cause he was pissed at his chinese overlord

Comment

possibly vlade, it wouldn't surprise me. i hate to admit it.....but i have been fixin cars/trucks/bikes for 30 sumtin years and only recently. did i learn how to load a grease gun.

Comment

possibly vlade, it wouldn't surprise me. i hate to admit it.....but i have been fixin cars/trucks/bikes for 30 sumtin years and only recently. did i learn how to load a grease gun.
                            you prolly had them big air powered drums full of grease. I PO'

Comment

i didn't own that big drums. just supersized. yall let the tarrablr run the game. its good we all sacred,.

Comment

Working...
                              X