Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake noise w/brembo brakes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brake noise w/brembo brakes

    this is a copy/paste from another forum. i thought it could be useful to those that have baggers, I'm gonna do this trick to a buddies bagger when he changes his brake pads pretty soon. i would imagine it will work with pretty much any model.i hope y'all find this useful----

    THREAD STARTER
    "After using the front brakes to prevent the bike from rolling backwards, you get a clanking noise the next time you use the front brake to slow forward movement. This is caused by the brake pad striking the pad pin. The pad pin hole is too large and allows too much back and forth (not side) movement of the pads.

    While helping a neighbor with brake pad replacement on a 2008 SG, I noticed that the rear brake pads were identical to the front pads but the rear pad pin was larger in diameter.

    I purchased two rear brake pad kits and used them to replace the front brake pads on my 2008 Road King. I did not use the antisqueak paste, just the pads, pin and retaining clip. The pad pin from the rear kit is a little longer, but does not interfere with putting the caliper screen back on. The shoulder of the pin was slightly shorter but torqued to specs without a problem and the groove for the retaining clip was in the proper position. The pin is larger in diameter but still allows sideways movement of the pads.

    The larger diameter pin has eliminated the clanking noise that used to occur with the Brembo front brakes I've put a couple hundred miles on since the pad replacement and have had no problems whatsoever. I'm very happy to be rid of this noise, it had aggravated me for two years."
    second post, from different person,
    "just replaced my rear brakes as well on my 09 SG. I do remember reading that the new pins now are larger whether it be the back or front."
    Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

  • #2
    Very Cool Post, thanks fer the heads up!
    OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
    With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
    FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
    RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Worm! Good valuable information for us baggers to know!
      .
      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
      HERD MEMBER #00003

      Comment


      • #4
        Good info. At what mileage to the pads usually need replaced?
        The hardest part about a Zombie Apocalypse, will be pretending I'm not excited!

        Comment


        • #5
          There is no hard number for when to replace your pads. It's something you need to watch yourself and decide. The owners manual and/or a service manual will show you what to look for. I use compression braking a lot and now have 26,800 miles on my '09 FXD and the pads still barely look used.

          As for BigWorm's post...it does it on my bike too, so when I get the money, I'm going to do this fixit trick. Thanks BW!!

          I also need the anti-squeek stuff for the rear brakes anyway, since they fscking drive me nuts the loud squealing/squeeking they make every time I use them. I hate it with a passion...makes the bike seem like a cheap-sh!t made piece of junk and it bugs the livin' crap outta me.
          The CSA - Fighting terrorism since 1861

          Comment


          • #6
            :good

            Originally posted by yochanon View Post
            There is no hard number for when to replace your pads. It's something you need to watch yourself and decide. The owners manual and/or a service manual will show you what to look for. I use compression braking a lot and now have 26,800 miles on my '09 FXD and the pads still barely look used.

            As for BigWorm's post...it does it on my bike too, so when I get the money, I'm going to do this fixit trick. Thanks BW!!

            I also need the anti-squeek stuff for the rear brakes anyway, since they fscking drive me nuts the loud squealing/squeeking they make every time I use them. I hate it with a passion...makes the bike seem like a cheap-sh!t made piece of junk and it bugs the livin' crap outta me.
            .
            2010 FLHX - Street Glide
            HERD MEMBER #00003

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JimP View Post
              Good info. At what mileage to the pads usually need replaced?
              USUALLY,You can give them a visual without removing any of the braking components,when doing a visual look em over real carefully as most the times they will wear unevenly with the not so visible side wearing more that what You can see.
              That brake pad paste stuff He is talking about is not for a clunking but for the high pitched squeal that disk brakes produce while riding and sometimes when applying the brakes,a very irritating noise to say the least,Permatex makes a spray can of some purple brake silencer that You spray the backside of the pads with,works very well,do not reassemble brakes without some kind of silencer or You will be cursing Yourself later when Yuh has ta takes em apart again to "fix" the noise.
              Ear Tag no. 00030

              Comment


              • #8
                i went with lyndall brand brake pads on my vrod and i won't use anything else. NO brake noise of any kind cruising or stopping. and very little to no brake dust, made keeping the wheels clean much easier.i can get them shipped to your door cheaper than you can get them on the internet. one of my sponsors v-shop.com in maine gives me a hell of a discount. i'll pass that discount along to anyone who may be interested in the pads.
                Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BigWorm View Post
                  i went with lyndall brand brake pads on my vrod and i won't use anything else. NO brake noise of any kind cruising or stopping. and very little to no brake dust, made keeping the wheels clean much easier.i can get them shipped to your door cheaper than you can get them on the internet. one of my sponsors v-shop.com in maine gives me a hell of a discount. i'll pass that discount along to anyone who may be interested in the pads.
                  Makes mental note.
                  Ear Tag no. 00030

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BigWorm View Post
                    i went with lyndall brand brake pads on my vrod and i won't use anything else. NO brake noise of any kind cruising or stopping. and very little to no brake dust, made keeping the wheels clean much easier.i can get them shipped to your door cheaper than you can get them on the internet. one of my sponsors v-shop.com in maine gives me a hell of a discount. i'll pass that discount along to anyone who may be interested in the pads.
                    Agree with everything you said. Been selling/using the Lyndalls for a while now and don't plan on ever going with anything else. Can't get a better brake pad regardless of the price.
                    Herd member #00068

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MrMarty51 View Post
                      Makes mental note.
                      X2 to that.
                      Herd Member #87
                      US Navy Veteran

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        5k miles on me Roadster,,Brakes are half gone,,But I'm a trail Braker an a corner junkie.
                        I use brakes hard.
                        Herd #124
                        Age 10 and holding
                        Official Herd Poser

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MrMarty51 View Post
                          Makes mental note.
                          Hell with that I'm old and going to write it down...... " Robbie has brake pad hookup " got it.
                          HERD # 00075
                          08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
                          USMC Veteran

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DevilDogBagger View Post
                            Hell with that I'm old and going to write it down...... " Robbie has brake pad hookup " got it.
                            Me tooo so i`ll prolly forget and then have to star another thread about Who it wuz that has the goood braking pads.:laughout:laughout:laughout:laughout:laughout
                            Ear Tag no. 00030

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              matter a fact i found the lyndalls recently on ebay for cheaper than my buddy can sell them for. i'd say they prolly hot though.
                              Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X