Being Thankful

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Thankful

Well, y'all, today I just rode to work. But Monday I stopped in at Lander's HD in Little Rock to get the one quart of oil I lacked to have enough to service my bike.

There was one of those new 2018 Fat Bobs sittin' there with the 114" motor. I walked a couple circles around it and salesmen poured out onto the floor. Guy says, "I can put you on that today!"

I told him that'd be a heck of an accomplishment, that I was just looking. He asked if I wanted to take it for a spin. Now, if somebody landed a helicopter in a field and asked me that, I'm ALWAYS gonna say yes.

A few minutes later, they had me an issued helmet, and another guy that worked there boarded a bike and said, "Follow me." I was thinkin' to myself, if this thing runs like it looks like it runs, I ain't gonna be FOLLOWING NOBODY.

We pulled out onto a back street behind the dealership that actually has some pretty nice curves. He eased out, I eased out. He was just easin' along so I blew past him and swept through those corners smokin'. I waited for him at a stop light a little ways ahead. He pulled up smiling and said, "So you gonna get it!" I told him, probably not, but I had it for now.

I jumped on it on a long straight stretch down a service road by the freeway, and it Sure DID feel good. I gave it back to 'em and told 'em I'd need to think and mostly pray about it. Man they pressure you, I mean they wouldn't quit. They got as low as me trading my Fat Bob, 2.9 percent interest, payments only $178 a month. I came REAL close to taking the deal, but I just kept reminding myself that I needed to pray about it AND talk to Tina. I finally got out of there, went home, changed oil, tranny, and primary fluids. New rear brake pads. I fired it up and took it for a nice county ride.

I prayed the whole time. Zero payments on the Best Harley I've Ever Owned vs. Payments on the Best Harley I've Ever Rode.

In the end, guys, sometimes we just need to be more thankful for what we've got. No deal.
    Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
    Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
    See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Amen Brother Kevin, Amen.
    And right now, I aint got no bike, but am extremely thankful for the lady I now have by my side
    Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.mydoterra.com/jbush

Comment

You did the right thing. Patience is a virtue and when God tells you it's time....you will know it in your heart.
      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Best thing Iíve read in a long time! Amen!
        Bob

Official HERD Member #00230

Westchester County, NY
        '17 FLHXS Street Glide Special

Comment

you did real good Kevin.
          I never make a decision about a purchase unless I have Gods nod on it.
          If I knew Jesus was going to call us all up within the next several years, I`d mortgage everything I own, with no payments and a balloon payment in the end, then I`d be riding the biggest fanciest Harley You ever did see.
          Ear Tag no. 00030
          MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
          Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
          If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
          The missing link
          http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Made too many moves without praying first .. I have owned this bike since March of '11 , title in the safe since Feb '12 , sure I want a newer RGU , but this one is just fine Thank You .

Comment

Great post Kevin. Yours with the Dyna frame, the new one with the monoshock much better?
              Mark

Comment

Mark I didnít think Iíd like the new frame but it really really REALLY handles well.

Comment

It handles great. Best handling and strongest Harley Iíve ever swung a leg over.

Comment

What a great thread! And post.

Originally posted by LilJo View Post
                    Zero payments on the Best Harley I've Ever Owned vs. Payments on the Best Harley I've Ever Rode.

In the end, guys, sometimes we just need to be more thankful for what we've got. No deal.
                    About 10 years ago, me and my ol' buddy Fishbone were riding and he wanted to stop by the local dealer to buy his GF a tee shirt. 90 minutes later the deal was done on a new Road King. Fast forward to two springs ago, he stopped for an oil filter, left with a new Ultra.

Fish didn't have the restraint you do, Kev.

~~

Yours is the first real thing I've read about the new, completely different H-D suspension, me having turned a blind eye to the demise of the Dyna. Just now, I just clicked around and watched a terrific 15 minute vid by a Brit blogger who shook one down, and he was over the moon. His only negative comment was he thought the headlight setup "Jappy".

Now, there are all sorts of reasons the bike I have now is the last one I'll ever own. But I sure like how you summed up your post.

And, it's refreshing to read, from a knowledgeable source, of H-D's big revolution on model lines and the result... not just the social medias' knee jerk opinion, which includes words like "suck" and other unprintable ones.

Last edited by Big D; 09-03-2018, 09:31 AM.
                    PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

Comment

Totally understand and that's why I avoid dealers. I realized the ONLY time I'm thinking about a new bike is when I'm NOT riding mine. Once I'm on it, everything is great and I'm happy. When it's in the garage or in storage, then I start thinking about something else. Whenever I get the urge I just go ride a little and it goes away.
                      x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
                      HERD member #66
                      HS I Survivor
                      HS II Survivor
                      HS III Survivor
                      HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

Comment

A new bike to Me is one that is about twenty years old, a hundred thousand on it and the price is about a quarter of a new muscheeeen.
                        Ear Tag no. 00030
                        MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
                        Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
                        If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
                        The missing link
                        http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Totally get it brother. I know they've made lots of changes and some improvements to the Limiteds since I got mine. But I like how she sits and rolls. As long as I'm happy with her and she ain't costing me much to run, I'm gonna keep on adding miles to her.
                          A.K.A. Chad
                          Official Ear Tag #163
                          Official Member Paracord Posse
                          2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
                          "I talk a lot but don't say much, and I know it..."
                          "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarty51 View Post
                            A new bike to Me is one that is about twenty years old, a hundred thousand on it and the price is about a quarter of a new muscheeeen.
                            Me, too, MrMarty... My ride is old enough to vote next year...and just broke in! (80k)

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

Comment

Working...
                            X