No more Dyna family

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hockeydawg12 View Post

But I understand they have to do something to try to get the younger generation to start buying bikes or they are gonna die a slow painful death.
    Cause all the 40-60 year olds are dying off and they're not making any more...................LOL
    Herd Member #87
    US Navy Veteran

Comment

Harley has to do something to draw in more buyers, I get that and I 'm glad they're working on keeping the brand alive and kicking....................So dont think I'm bashing on em too bad for trying to stay marketable.

The new bikes they have may not be my style but I'll still support the brand and spend my money in their stores............I just bought a new FXRG jacket that cost more than my first car.
      Herd Member #87
      US Navy Veteran

Comment

I've been loving my SGS since I got it, but after taking a look at the blacked out '18s I'm loving it even more - I actually just went down to the garage to tell it that!
        Bob

Official HERD Member #00230

Westchester County, NY
        '17 FLHXS Street Glide Special

Comment

It's all academic to me. I'm with LilJo, the only thing that's holding me up from getting even more assertive with my bike at present is a new front tire, and that will come at season end. I'm only familiar with the Dyna family, having spent a decade on my other Superglide.

I read, with interest, all the new gee wiz things the new platform(s) offer... a 9% increase here, a weight loss there, X % valve size difference. All good.

H-D IS the King of the hill, and I would recon there's some smart people there that know what they are doing. There are manufacturing costs considered, balanced by the race to update this venerable product for the future. Some of the decisions made for the 2018 model year will be with them for decades. I like the engineering around the counterbalancers to smooth out the 107/114. Oil coolers standard now, as that's an integral component to cooling the heads.

The Showa monoshock under the seat on all models? Terrific! How many Softail owners ever went through trying to adjust sag on their rides, crawling around on the floor, trying to look upside-down? Now that dude is easily accessible.

What gives me pause? And I'm just this way- I will never ever be in the market for a new bike. Motorcycle prices are mortgages now. They were last year. This year. And I imagine next year. And, obviously there is an age factor for me personally. Cannot deny the inevitable... my riding years are finite.

~~

Something I have never EVER done is to go to a dealer and participate in riding a demo in those events they all do. I just may do this, only for curiousity.
          2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

Comment

I'm obviously not in the market for a new bike, but if I was, I would have to have one built, or build it myself.
            It would likely be a softail, and have an 80 inch evo motor. I, still to this day, believe the evo was the most reliable of any motor ever put out by the moco.
            Sure, I am an ironhead freak, but let's face it, they weren't exactly known for maintenance free reliability.

I understand, all the new mubo-jumbo BS is because the general motor cycle buying public wants more power, and the epa wants less emissions, and the MoCo has to find ways to keep up with both, But a nice reliable evo, with a mild cam and some carb jetting work can be the perfect bike motor. A little power when you twist your wrist, and a smooth ride when Sunday cruising.

I think the aftermarket is probably loving the fact HD isn't putting on much chrome now. I imagine most indie shops are selling chrome bits by the truck loads.
            As far as no more dyna family, well, that sucks, but that should also make the older ones a lot more valuable too.
            I was once addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around

Comment

I'll sum up the reasons for HD doing what's it's been for a while: Millenials!

They have turned the world on it's side.

Never before have manufacturers had to deal with such different thinking folks.

Different values, priorities and attitudes.

And figuring out how to reach them and turn them into consumers is at the top of the list.
              “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by wndchsr View Post
                Harley has to do something to draw in more buyers, I get that and I 'm glad they're working on keeping the brand alive and kicking....................So dont think I'm bashing on em too bad for trying to stay marketable.

The new bikes they have may not be my style but I'll still support the brand and spend my money in their stores............I just bought a new FXRG jacket that cost more than my first car.
                I'm not bashing either. Just because I don't like the changes doesn't mean a new rider coming in won't also. I just think some of the broad changes to classic models goes against what most people liked about those models. I would have rather seen new models come in with some of the changes they made to the Heritage and Fat Boy than to make them something they never were meant to be.

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                The Showa monoshock under the seat on all models? Terrific! How many Softail owners ever went through trying to adjust sag on their rides, crawling around on the floor, trying to look upside-down? Now that dude is easily accessible.
                That is something that I find interesting in the new line-up. I am one of those guys that tried adjusting the shocks on my Fat Boy. After beating on them both and only breaking one lock nut loose, I had to coat the other one in PB Blaster and let it sit over night to get the other one loose. I SUCKED to put it mildly.

A.K.A. Chad
                Official Ear Tag #163
                Official Member Paracord Posse
                2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
                "I talk a lot but don't say much, and I know it..."
                "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKing View Post
                  I'll sum up the reasons for HD doing what's it's been for a while: Millenials!

They have turned the world on it's side.

Never before have manufacturers had to deal with such different thinking folks.

Different values, priorities and attitudes.

And figuring out how to reach them and turn them into consumers is at the top of the list.
                  I don't like to lump people into categories, but the only way you will get some of today's youth to ride a Harley is to get the government to give it to them for free. And they'll still find something that triggers them and makes them run to their safe spaces and hide.
                  A.K.A. Chad
                  Official Ear Tag #163
                  2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited

Comment

We are yaking about the new 2018 models and local dealers are still trying to sell leftover 16's.

And yeah, the new Heritage, lost it's heritage. Bottom line, they cut cost out of producing it while raising the retail.

Hey, whatever. Just so folks get out and RIDE.
                    Mark
                    HERDster #204

Comment

Has anyone taken a look at the price tag on a CVO Ultra lately? My dad paid less than half of one for the house I grew up in. And I'm pretty sure that out the door it's pretty close to the median income of an American Family.
                      “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

Looking through the lineup, I'm with y'all. The Heritage has lost its heritage. I don't like the finish on any of 'em. Still can't wait to flog one at first opportunity when there is one of those big test ride days. I'll probably go to Rogers, AR to the dealership there sometime. Be fun to test one from Rogers to Eureka Springs and back on the NEWLY AND PERFECTLY PAVED Highway 62. We'll find out if they turn or not.

As far as figuring out the Millenials, I know I'll never do it. Yes, I know all these things HD is doing are an attempt to woo a new generation of riders, but these kids seem an awful long way off from bikers to me. Long way off.

I think all the changes I'm seeing in this lineup are the result of shot-callers telling engineers, "Cut costs everywhere. Cut weight, too, and do whatever you can to eliminate that HD feel. Make sure the ride is cushy so girlfriends can comfortably tweet and facebook, etc. while boyfriend navigates the Dragon. And make 'em scary powerful, so after the Millenial buys one and it frightens him, we can sell low mileage used ones to what's left of them old farts still kickin'."
                        Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Love to Ride, Ride to Live, Live to Love
                        Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
                        Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

Originally posted by LilJo View Post
                          so after the Millenial buys one and it frightens him, we can sell low mileage used ones to what's left of them old farts still kickin'."
                          Man, that is the truth, but there ain't a thing wrong with that lol! I love finding deals like that. My 08 was 5 years used when I bought it, and only had 17k on it. I'm well over 60k on it now, I wouldn't be able to sell it to just anyone at this point because of the mileage. I sure do like the idea of other people not riding their bikes because it gives me a good used bike with like new mileage

Josh
                          Herd Member #00042
                          2008 FLHTCU ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

R.I.P. Dad 1951-2015

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJ View Post

Man, that is the truth, but there ain't a thing wrong with that lol! I love finding deals like that. My 08 was 5 years used when I bought it, and only had 17k on it. I'm well over 60k on it now, I wouldn't be able to sell it to just anyone at this point because of the mileage. I sure do like the idea of other people not riding their bikes because it gives me a good used bike with like new mileage

Without a doubt. As much as I have loved my Limited since I bought it new in 2012, I'm gonna find it hard to stomach the cost of a new Limited or CVO if that time ever comes. I'll probably be looking for a garage queen from the far gone 2015-2016 era.

I know there are power junkies out there who want more power and more torque and more speed. But I have to say, knock on wood, my old 103 engine has not given me any power troubles even riding fully loaded, 2-up. I don't see the need to go 114, 120, etc. etc. etc....but that's just me.
                            A.K.A. Chad
                            Official Ear Tag #163
                            2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited

Comment

I have mixed feelings about combining the Dyna line with the Softails. As far as the Softail models - I spent some time on the website looking at the new Deluxe, and while I'm intrigued by the performance improvements I just don't care for the styling cues. The turn signals look like ass. The seat height is an inch and a half (or more) higher. And the color choices don't do a thing for me either. But I'll still go ride one at demo days and try to give it a fair shot. Honestly, though? With the increase in price on top of all those other things, unless it blows my socks off I'll keep riding my '09 and save for a Glide. Or maybe I'll just ride it until the wheels fall off and get a new truck or something. :)
                              Kristy
                              Official HERD Member #00205

'09 Softail Deluxe - Mojo
                              Stage 1, dyno, no major mods but it's shiny!

Comment

On the surface it may seem as if the Run a line is dead but Harley has done similar things before with certain models. So this may just be a revap of the Dynas for an even better performance line.

All the comments that I have read in different places sounds like what I heard people say when in was a kid about the Evo platform.
                                Some Mistakes Are Too Much Fun To Make Only Once

Official HERD Member #00195

Comment

Working...
                                X