Need some expert advice..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some expert advice..

Ok so I'm in need of a Primary Chain oil change.. I really dont want to pay for it, but Ive never done it before ethier..So Ive read a little about it on the net and it seems pretty straight forward.. But I figured Id asked here to see if I got it correct..I have a 08 sporty....

1 Place an oil pan directly beneath the widest portion of the motor's primary housing. Using a Torx driver, remove the oil drain plug directly below the round "derby" cover. Allow the primary fluid to drain completely.

2 Remove the O-ring from the drain plug and discard it. Wipe the tip of the drain plug with a shop towel to remove any dirt or debris that may have accumulated on it. Slip a new O-ring onto the drain plug and reinsert it into the primary housing.

3 Remove the bolts that secure the derby cover to the primary cover with a Torx driver. Pull the derby cover and its gasket away from the primary and set it aside.

4 Pour fresh primary fluid into the primary housing through the derby port, filling the primary until the fluid touches the base of the clutch assembly. Wipe away any spilled primary fluid with a shop towel.

5 Reinstall the derby cover and gasket onto the primary housing, tightening the cover bolts with a Torx driver.

Few more questions are how about how much oil does this take a quart? Can I use mobil one V twin for this?? It says full is when the oil touchs the clutch assembly is that on the kickstand or in the upright postion? Is the clutch assembly visable directly behind the derby cover? Is there anything else that I should know before I attempt this... Sorry for all the newb questions but what can i say but Thx in advance for any input
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. Ben Franklin 1776
    Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims. Ayn Rand
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Herd Member #00101

Red, Re-fill the primary through the chain inspection cover, and dont remove the derby unless your doing a clutch adjustment....while your there, check the chain tension and adjust if needed.....this is the method i use, as it kills two birds with one stone...
    primary uses 1 quart........g
    U.S. Army "Retired"
    (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Upright do you need the page outa the manual
      THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
      How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

Originally posted by vlade View Post
        Upright do you need the page outa the manual
        Sure Vlade any help I can get.... I need to buy the service manual and I keep putting it off
        We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. Ben Franklin 1776
        Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims. Ayn Rand
        All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Herd Member #00101

Comment

I pinged ya

Comment

Well lets see if it blowed thru and how well

Red that looks readable, if you still need I can email
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RedBeard View Post
              Ok so I'm in need of a Primary Chain oil change.. I really dont want to pay for it, but Ive never done it before ethier..So Ive read a little about it on the net and it seems pretty straight forward.. But I figured Id asked here to see if I got it correct..I have a 08 sporty....

1 Place an oil pan directly beneath the widest portion of the motor's primary housing. Using a Torx driver, remove the oil drain plug directly below the round "derby" cover. Allow the primary fluid to drain completely.

2 Remove the O-ring from the drain plug and discard it. Wipe the tip of the drain plug with a shop towel to remove any dirt or debris that may have accumulated on it. Slip a new O-ring onto the drain plug and reinsert it into the primary housing.

3 Remove the bolts that secure the derby cover to the primary cover with a Torx driver. Pull the derby cover and its gasket away from the primary and set it aside.

4 Pour fresh primary fluid into the primary housing through the derby port, filling the primary until the fluid touches the base of the clutch assembly. Wipe away any spilled primary fluid with a shop towel.

5 Reinstall the derby cover and gasket onto the primary housing, tightening the cover bolts with a Torx driver.

Few more questions are how about how much oil does this take a quart? Can I use mobil one V twin for this?? It says full is when the oil touchs the clutch assembly is that on the kickstand or in the upright postion? Is the clutch assembly visable directly behind the derby cover? Is there anything else that I should know before I attempt this... Sorry for all the newb questions but what can i say but Thx in advance for any input
              1 qt, V-twin is ok, bike upright just like if riding, yes the clutch is behind the Derby cover and BUY THE BOOK. I do it like Vlade and check the clutch/chain ad. while I'm there as well.
              OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
              With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
              FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
              RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Thanks guys soo much for the quick response. I have to say the Herd is hands down the best forum I've had the pleasure of bein part of. But with all the advice arose another question. Adjusting the clutch is it really needed the bike has 5000 mile and everything works fine??? And yes croc I'm goin on friday to buy the manual or at least order one on fri.........Thx again guys

Herd Member #00101

Comment

Thanks guys soo much for the quick response. I have to say the Herd is hands down the best forum I've had the pleasure of bein part of. But with all the advice arose another question. Adjusting the clutch is it really needed the bike has 5000 mile and everything works fine??? And yes croc I'm goin on friday to buy the manual or at least order one on fri.........Thx again guys
                  Manual calls it out at the 1K service, and 5K as well...If you get the book, you can check it, otherwise leave it...
                  Mine is at 15k and i've never adjusted the clutch.....no need, it works perfectly....g
                  U.S. Army "Retired"
                  (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

And don't forgit ta lube your cables!!!!! Shame on you Gruss, don't set a bad example fer the kiddies!!!
                    OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
                    With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
                    FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
                    RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

order from Chicago HD or another discounter 20% off Service manual part # should be 99484-08,, electric diagnostics manual should be 99495-08

Comment

Originally posted by Crocodile56 View Post
                        And don't forgit ta lube your cables!!!!! Shame on you Gruss, don't set a bad example fer the kiddies!!!
                        I've failed........gonna go ban myself...LOL !

Red ?
                        Lube the cables brother....check the tire pressures too....belt tension is a good one also.....
                        U.S. Army "Retired"
                        (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Is this a good brand for a manual? Clymer Harley-Davidson XL Sportster 2004-2009

Herd Member #00101

Comment

Is this a good brand for a manual? Clymer Harley-Davidson XL Sportster 2004-2009
                            oh hell no, Get the HD bukk for your year only. Bad enough without sifting thru different years for info. Its worth the extra money. Haynes would be my "ifn I have to" choice.

Comment

Yep, stay away from the Clymer manuals, they will showyou just enough to get you into trouble. Spend the extra cash and get an HD manual.
                              Herd Member #87
                              US Navy Veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X