From HD's Pocket to Mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From HD's Pocket to Mine

So I've been hearing these little rattles somewhere behind me for the last couple weeks. Bothering the crap outta me! I dismissed it as little pieces of gravel coming out of my tires and hitting the inside of the rear fender.

Well today I'm riding and I notice that instead of my right turn signal indicator going flash...flash...flash...flash like it's supposed to, it's going flashflashflashflash! Usually an indicator of a blown bulb. So I carefully reach back and put my hand over it while I'm at a stop light and sure enough, it's not working.

So I get home and just by visually inspecting the bulb without taking it out, it looks good...so I start poking around under the rear fender, and find a wire just hanging there.

Well I already knew that the previous owner had done a turn signal relocation when he put in the quick-disconnect hardware for the sissy bar...what I didn't know was that he did a $hitty job. He used the wrong size crimp-on connectors and used pliers instead of crimpers to crimp them. So I get the right size connector and the proper tool and fix the connection.

The light still no worky! So now, I pull the bulb and hook it up to my 12VDC power supply and sure enough...the bulb is good as I had previously hypothesized. I though maybe because the wire was rattling around in there, maybe a fuse had blown but I didn't hold high hopes for that theory as all my other lights were working. Quickly seeing one fuse for "Lights", I immediately dismissed that idea without even opening the fuse panel.

Soooo, I start poking around under the rear fender again, and yes, I find ANOTHER break in the same wire right up behind the tail light. JEEZ! Some people and their half-a$$ed ways! This one I have to remove the tail-light to get to and fix and when I'm done, the light works great and I can sleep knowing that it will work for a long long time.

The other side however still has the wrong size crimp-on connectors on it with the same shoddy crimp job, so I'll be fixing those probably next weekend, but this will get me by for my ride with Check_Valve and Happy Hours tomorrow.

Now to the point of this thread...Had I been your average schmuck that only knew how to change a light bulb, I would've done just that and then took the bike to HD to get it fixed when it didn't work...where I probably would've been charged (in historic fashion) no less than a Hundred Dollars or so for the repair...maybe more.

So let this thread be the repository for your stories of money saved by fixin' the simple $hit yourself instead of getting raped by the Stealership!
    Last edited by HoboCoastie; 10-23-2010, 07:21 PM.

For some reason.....everything that I have been doing myself is not working very well. Not sure what has caused that..
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

do yourself a favor....throw those crimp connectors in teh river.

Solder and heatshrink any wires that have any remote possibility of getting wet
      I have used 1,000s of those butt connectors when doing car stereo installs and such, but on a bik.....NO WAY
      moisture gathers inside of the plastic tube part and will corrode the metal badly, and quickly
      Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
        do yourself a favor....throw those crimp connectors in teh river.

Solder and heatshrink any wires that have any remote possibility of getting wet
        I have used 1,000s of those butt connectors when doing car stereo installs and such, but on a bik.....NO WAY
        moisture gathers inside of the plastic tube part and will corrode the metal badly, and quickly
        Yes, now that you mention it, that's the way we did it right when fixing electrical problems and doing installs on Coast Guard boats. I'll re-do the whole thing probably next weekend. I just wanted to make sure it's all working for my ride tomorrow.

Thanks for reminding me how it's supposed to be done.

Comment

I'll use those chrimps but I'll throw the plasticaway, solder em efter chrimpin and then liquid tape and heat shrink for watery places
          THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
          How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

We (Coast Guard) use the heat shrink with the inside that gets gooey when you heat it and seals it up. It's expensive...so thank you guys for buying it for me.

Comment

Comment

hmmmmm misuse of govt property huh? LOL

you might need to be spanked..
                Official HERD Member #142
                2003 VRSCA

Comment

I'm excited for you. saving money is a great feeling. doin it yerself is even better. the troops are right tho, solder is better and cleaner.
                  Expectations managed for free

Comment

Originally posted by HoboCoastie View Post
                    We (Coast Guard) use the heat shrink with the inside that gets gooey when you heat it and seals it up. It's expensive...so thank you guys for buying it for me.
                    Hell I havent even herd of that kind I mus be really po
                    THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
                    How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Olive Martini View Post

Oh SNAP niccuh!

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Olive Martini View Post

Hmmmm, don't forget the pics...
                        The hardest part about a Zombie Apocalypse, will be pretending I'm not excited!

Comment

Run Hobo Run!!!! Catch the nearest train and get the hell outta here!:aahhherbox
                          Official "Herd Booze taste tester!"

Member #0006 :babe

"Lead paint chips are chewy AND sweet......" In memory of Rick.

Comment

jim that is up to hobo.. he might not want the evidence laying around.. ;)
                            Official HERD Member #142
                            2003 VRSCA

Comment

Originally posted by V-Girl View Post
                              Run Hobo Run!!!! Catch the nearest train and get the hell outta here!:aahhherbox
                              Hmmm. The nearest Train is sittin' right out there in the garage and there ain't no bulls to kick my a$$ for ridin' it either. Not a bad idea you got there V.

Comment

Working...
                              X