This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter Cross Reference Information

I can't take credit, nor have I validated or recommend any of the following information.

After seeing that its almost $ 10 dollars for a HD oil filter ( non-chrome ) at the dealership, I thought I would look and see if automobile to motorcycle oil filter cross-reference information was available. Here is the source of the information:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

I converted the information to PDF if anyone is interested in downloading and or printing out a copy.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DevilDog; 10-14-2010, 11:01 AM.
    HERD # 00075
    08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
    USMC Veteran

Thank you DDB, thats good to have filed away......g
    U.S. Army "Retired"
    (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Thanks DDB!!
      Patti, HERD Georgia Girl #113

RubberDown/Double Secret Agent #19 and Ozzyrral #213...RIP
      We will ride again wndchsr...
      'If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun.' - Katherine Hepburn

Comment

Thanks DDB,
        Hard to imagine that you could get a filter fer your Harley at Wally World? Better check to make sure it is made in the good ol' USA first!
        Bill
        Official HERD Member #0153
        Electra Glide Classic Touring 95th Anniversary #153/1000
        Charter Member-American Legion Riders Post #26 PA
        "You can NEVER have too much chrome!"

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

Comment

********************* WARNING *******************************

This information should be verified before you use any filter on your bike.

BullHurley and I went to the auto parts store to look at some of the filters that supposed to work with his bike.

Most of the filters on the " Preferred list " actually cost more than the Harley filter from the dealership. And the flow back holes were smaller.........

If you decide to use one of these filters you need to make sure you look at the filter compared to a Harley filter and make your own decision.

I for one will keep using HD filters.

Strat PM'd me a link that everyone needs to see in addition to this. ( thanks buddy )

http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/foru...ead.php?t=7497
          Last edited by DevilDog; 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM.
          HERD # 00075
          USMC Veteran

Comment

linky no worky, gives 404 error
            Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

Originally posted by BigWorm View Post
              linky no worky, gives 404 error
              Try it now...
              HERD # 00075
              USMC Veteran

Comment

works now
                Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

More information:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fil...tml#OilFilters
                  HERD # 00075
                  USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by DevilDogBagger View Post
                    ********************* WARNING *******************************

This information should be verified before you use any filter on your bike.

BullHurley and I went to the auto parts store to look at some of the filters that supposed to work with his bike.

Most of the filters on the " Preferred list " actually cost more than the Harley filter from the dealership. And the flow back holes were smaller.........

If you decide to use one of these filters you need to make sure you look at the filter compared to a Harley filter and make your own decision.

I for one will keep using HD filters.

Strat PM'd me a link that everyone needs to see in addition to this. ( thanks buddy )

http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/foru...ead.php?t=7497
                    A couple years ago, working part time back at an local auto parts store did some digging. Had access to a couple name brands and K&N and such. Figured while I could get parts at cost plus 10% I'd stock up on filters. Much to my surprise, Harley has sumpin' priced (and quality) done right. Lucky to have a local indy parts store that carries Harley and K&N in both black and chrome.
                    There is a special place in our hearts... Carved out for our memories
                    R.I.P. RubberDown
                    R.I.P. James "Jimbo"
                    Reese

Comment

Some thing else that comes to mind. I spent the time to use many x-references for oil filters and filters by dimension while I was there. You would be surprised how many filters appear to fit many different applications.(by thread, height, seal placement)

For the little difference in price I suggest use what is listed and/or recommended............................is saving two bucks an oil change worth any engine you own?

just my 2 pennies worth.
                      There is a special place in our hearts... Carved out for our memories
                      R.I.P. RubberDown
                      R.I.P. James "Jimbo"
                      Reese

Comment

I'm with Glyde on this one.....I'll stay away from "auto" filters for the bike.....Thank you Glyde......g
                        U.S. Army "Retired"
                        (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

I agree.... was just curious on if there was a cross reference on the filters. Seems that HD filters are actually priced pretty after while.
                          HERD # 00075
                          USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by DevilDogBagger View Post
                            I agree.... was just curious on if there was a cross reference on the filters. Seems that HD filters are actually priced pretty after while.
                            Honestly, I've never purchased an HD filter. I use a lifetime filter with the stainless mesh screen.....And I've had "no" issues with it....
                            I used to run them on my yamaha, and my suzuki. And those bikes ran well on them also.....g
                            U.S. Army "Retired"
                            (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

So it sounds like the OEM filter faired pretty well, I dont base my decision on oil and filters based on price though.
                              Herd Member #87
                              US Navy Veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X