How to bleed dual front brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to bleed dual front brakes?

So if the brake lever is crazy mushy, and has to be pulled about 75% of the way down before the brake starts to work. Do they need to be bled? The reservoir is full.

Also, it's a dot 5 system, but the fluid inside looks brown or yellow, last time i used dot 5 it was purple. Does it come in different colors or could some doush have out the wrong fluid in over 2 years ago? Brakes haven't been touched in 2 years+, nothing is leaking anywhere and the brake works, just a mushy lever.

Try pumping the lever,if it pumps up then it needs to be bled,it might be a good idea to bleed them out anyways until clean fresh fluid is pumping thoroughly through the system,start with one side and after clean fresh fluid is coming out then move to the other side.
    You ,if You do`nt already have one,might want to invest in a vacuum pump to which there are a "Very Large Variety" shown in Gruss`s clutch cable lubeing thread.

http://www.hdherd.com/showthread.php...ication-method...
    Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

yep, brake bleeding under vacuum is really the only way to go.....
      U.S. Army "Retired"
      (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Yeah I have a mighty vac, I bled the single front brake on my dyna, Never did a dual before, I thought you had to do it a different way.

Does it matter what side you do first? Should be easier on this bike since there is fluid in the system. It was a bitch on my dyna, but I was starting with a empty system.

Comment

i always start with the line that has the longest hose and work yer way back to the shortest
          Twenty First Herdster
          * When Its All Said And Done, Will You Have Said More Than You Have Done?
          ** How Old Would You Be If You Didnt Know How Old You Where?
          99 FLSTF
          03 FLHTCI

Comment

Eric, do what Marty said.....pump it up and if it does pump up, ya just need to bleed the system out!

Dot 5 fluid is purple to start with, but as it ages it turns yellowish in color, if that's the case, replace the fluid with fresh Dot 5.

Dual Disk brake bleeding can be done all at once, I use a hand Vac pump with catch bottle, get some rubber hose from auto parts store and a tee that will fit hose, make a tee hose set-up that will reach both calipers at the same time and you can bleed both at the same time!
            OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
            With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
            FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
            RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

What does pump it up mean?

Comment

Here's what I do on all my bike's brakes. I attach a clear hose to the bleader then the other end to a hand pump (like little hand oiler). I then take off the m/c cover and apply the brake slowly. With the bleeder screw opened a little, I slowly pump the oiler. It forces the brake fluid and air up the up the hose and out the m/c. Don't pump too hard or the fluid will rush up the line. When the m/c looks like its getting full take a little out. You will only need a few pumps to get the air out.
                Whatever doesn't kill me....HAD BETTER START RUNNING!

Official HERD Member #00130

Comment

Originally posted by Eric The Welder View Post
                  What does pump it up mean?
                  Grab hold of your brake blade like you where stopping the bike and depress the blade over and over again, thus pumping it up!!! Do it about ten to fifteen times it should get hard as a D##K!!! If not bleed your brakes.....10/4 good buddy?

Comment

It don't get hard at all. Not even a limp d!ck

Comment

Bleeding time!!!:madcow

Comment

You might have to clean the pucks. They get a build up on them and
                        won't seat all the way. At least if it's not pumping up. If it pumps up
                        they need to be bled. My duals on my Sport are the same way, takes
                        about lever to the bar to stop, even bled an full master cylinder.
                        Regards Sonny
                        2007 FLHX Street Glide HERD #35
                        Route 66 "The Mother Road" Thank You Cyrus Avery!

Comment

If You decide to disasemble them braking components be sure to have new kits on the werk bench other wise You might be a week or so out waiting fer parts n such.
                          Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Got a piont there Sonny! Bit I'm betting the fliud is nasty an blowing past the seals......Know what I mean?

Comment

Maybe that's just how it is if yours is the same sonny, there are no leaks anywhere, but the fluid is yellow. My dyna starts stopping the second you touch the lever.

Comment

Working...
                              X