Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing 2009 Sportster Handgrip

Mornin all!

I will be doing a handlebar swap in the next day or so and wondered if these was a trick to getting a left side 2009 grip off.

Are the newer ones glued? Can it be taken off and reused?

Thanks.

Ed
    08 FLSTC - cus we likes to ride! HERD#146 - Thanks Classy! USN - Retired
    When I wear an "Old Navy" shirt, it is not a fashion statement, it is just a statement.
    Looking at life from the back of the HERD....All I see is...well, you know! :)

use a small screwdriver to pry it a little loose, then use an air nozzle to shoot some air into the grip, should break it free
    Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Interesting approach. I will try that out.

Ed
      When I wear an "Old Navy" shirt, it is not a fashion statement, it is just a statement.

Comment

Might have to work the S.D. around a bit but this method has always worked for Me.
        Might want to get one of the industry unaproved blow gunz so Yuh have a bit more pressure under the grip,I think I read somewheres that a bit of gasoline swabbed around the inside of the rubber will seal them back on without using goooopeygluuuuue.
        Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Ahhhh the goooopeygluuuuue....I normaly get more of that on me than the grip.

Thanks!

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced View Post
            Ahhhh the goooopeygluuuuue....I normaly get more of that on me than the grip.

Thanks!

Ed
            If it do`nt works then yuh can always re move it agin and then go in with the goooopeygluuuuue,Be sure it`s Horsehoofgluuuue though,would want to ruin a perfectly gooood cow fer a dabagluuuuue.ed:):):):):)
            Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

if your wires aren't run internally, here is another approach that has worked for me........ take the bars off the bike, and soak that side (grip and all) in a pan of hot water for about 15 minutes or so. the heat loosens the adhesive
              Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                if your wires aren't run internally, here is another approach that has worked for me........ take the bars off the bike, and soak that side (grip and all) in a pan of hot water for about 15 minutes or so. the heat loosens the adhesive
                Hey man,that is a excellent idear,works better n the old blowtorch.:):):):)
                Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarty51 View Post
                  If it do`nt works then yuh can always re move it agin and then go in with the goooopeygluuuuue,Be sure it`s Horsehoofgluuuue though,would want to ruin a perfectly gooood cow fer a dabagluuuuue.ed:):):):):)
                  mmm What????

Comment

when you go back together with the grip clean bars and grip then shoot a little hairspray on the bars and slide the grip on before it dries. clear paint works the same , just lay a towel over the tank/bike so to not get overspray on it.........................oh yea, yer bars are on their way, should be there tomorrow, sat at the latest... :-)
                    Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

Thanks!!!!!! Me soooooo happy!

Comment

Originally posted by BigWorm View Post
                        when you go back together with the grip clean bars and grip then shoot a little hairspray on the bars and slide the grip on before it dries. clear paint works the same ,

I used that 3m spray adhesive on mine...didn't work for shit, I've got some flat clear at home, I'll try that tomorrow.
                        It's not "derailed", as long as the last post relates to the post above it...it's just on a different rail, heading into a more interesting direction

Comment

Originally posted by Motive View Post
                          I used that 3m spray adhesive on mine...didn't work for shit, I've got some flat clear at home, I'll try that tomorrow.
                          gotta clean it up real good, i use alcohol and make sure there isn't any type of oil or water inside the bars.
                          Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

just gotta watch the hair spray, if it gets any water on it before it dries it won't stick. but if its a dry application it will stick. mine always have.

Comment

I will have to use paint, no hair spray around this house..... :)

Chrome Dome Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X