Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bagger: Right Saddle-Bag Guard Gets HOT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bagger: Right Saddle-Bag Guard Gets HOT!

For those of you with baggers who ride two-up, got a question for you:

While Sooze and I were on our big trip out west, there were a couple of times when the right saddle-bag guard (the chrome tubes around the right saddle-bag) would get so hot, mainly the portion that is around the leading-edge / forward-most portion of the bag - would get so hot, that Sooze actually had marks on her leg! And she was wearing armored riding pants.

Anyone else notice anything like this? The bike is an '09 Ultra.

It wasn't really consistent - there were times when we were running through the mountains when I had the bike would out in 4th gear climbing passes (so I was running the dog-snot outta the motor) when that bar was fine, then there were other times when we were just making miles on the slab and that bar was hot to the touch.

I don't know if there was some kind of heat leeching going on from the exhaust on that side or what, but that bar did get hot Hot HOT!

Thanks.
    BG
    Official HERD Member #00143

sigpic

I can't say that we have ever noticed that but would be interesting to find out when we ride again. Texas has been seeing some close to record highs lately and the roads are extremely hot. To find out would probably not take much effort and I will check the rail that you are referring to.
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
      I can't say that we have ever noticed that but would be interesting to find out when we ride again. Texas has been seeing some close to record highs lately and the roads are extremely hot. To find out would probably not take much effort and I will check the rail that you are referring to.
      We don't have these on our bike. I've always wondered about the radiant heat on the these rails. I want to add some bag guards to the front of the bags not the ones that wrap around like on the Ultra. I know the inside of my bags get hot as hell and it would stand to reason that the rail underneath would be even hotter. I'm sure the slow speeds are causing rails to heat up faster.
      Whatever doesn't kill me....HAD BETTER START RUNNING!

Official HERD Member #00130

Comment

I have the guards on my RK and never noticed them getting hot. The inside of my bags stay fairly cool also. I can leave a candy bar in there and it wont melt. Maybe because I have the "soft bags" and a little air gets in there under the covers.
        HERDSTER #00115
        Herdstock II survivor
        Herdstock III survivor
        Herdstock IV survivor
        Herdstock VI survivor
        MOO TON CREW member
        I like the dog. If he can't eat it or f**k it, he pisses on it. I can get behind that

Comment

Originally posted by CLL375 View Post
          I'm sure the slow speeds are causing rails to heat up faster.
          That's kinda what I was thinking, but when our speeds were somewhat slower but engine RPM's were high (when climbing mountain passes), we didn't notice it. When our road speeds were higher, and engine RPM's lower, that sucker got hotter. It was weird.

sigpic

Comment

On the 09 and newer bikes the way the exhaust is routed will heat up that right side guard. Both front and rear jug pipes route together just in front of trans, and where the front pipe splits off and goes under the frame is a HOT SPOT bigtime. On the 08 and older the factory pipes would heat up your right thigh. I went with Rineharts and no problem with either now.
            HERD # 00075
            08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
            USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by DevilDogBagger View Post
              On the 09 and newer bikes the way the exhaust is routed will heat up that right side guard. Both front and rear jug pipes route together just in front of trans, and where the front pipe splits off and goes under the frame is a HOT SPOT bigtime. On the 08 and older the factory pipes would heat up your right thigh. I went with Rineharts and no problem with either now.
              I wondered about that, but since it didn't seem to be a consistent condition, I wasn't sure.

Good stuff...

sigpic

Comment

As long as you have lots of airflow its not a problem. I have a good friend with an 09 and it is really noticeable after we stop and take a break and getting back on the bike is interesting as that side guard is branding hot.
                HERD # 00075
                08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
                USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by CLL375 View Post
                  We don't have these on our bike. I've always wondered about the radiant heat on the these rails. I want to add some bag guards to the front of the bags not the ones that wrap around like on the Ultra. I know the inside of my bags get hot as hell and it would stand to reason that the rail underneath would be even hotter. I'm sure the slow speeds are causing rails to heat up faster.
                  Ooops! I thought he was referring about this one which is North from the exhaust.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bar..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	979276
                  2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                  HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

I say jack up them floorboards to the highest point Ms. Snooze might actually be getting bruised.
                    THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
                    How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

I use to keep my tire repair kit in a zip-loc bag in the right saddlebag.......mine too gets hot in there..........melted the bag in spots! Wonder if it's from the 2-into-1 exhaust???
                      OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
                      2014 FLHXS
                      U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

I have a 2010 and haven't had the Mrs complain yet and I'm sure she would if it was happening..LOL
                        2010 Ultra Limited/Merlot/Cherry
                        Official HERD Member #00134

Comment

Working...
                        X