Starter staying engaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter staying engaged

Usually I'm a very calm guy, but this starter kit really has me POed. If one more thing goes wrong, I'm throwing it through my garage door. This entire kit is just a piece of crap. This is the second kit I have received from J&P, and just like the first, nothing but problems. But at least they are different problems this time. OK, now I feel better.

Problem is, starter is staying engaged and running even though the bike isn't running. It's on the 75 Shovelhead I'm working on. The only way I can get it to stop, is dissconnect the battery, or move the solenoid a bit. I've searched and searched, but the only issue I can find is either a bad solenoid or binding due to a missaligned starter shaft. I suppose the solenoid could be bad, but it's brand new. I've tried everything from leaving the solenoid and outer cover loose, to unplugging the green (smaller) wire in the solenoid to rule out the relay. It's proably going to be the solenoid, but I figure I would ask for advice first.
    Justin, HERD member 00016
    97 Fatboy

From what You have described it seems like the contact disk in the solenoid is not returning back after the starter button is disengaged,there are two things that can cause that besides the relay problem which You have already eliminated.
    1: the starter gear can be bound or hanging up
    2: the contacts that jumper the starter motor to the battery is hanging up and not allowing the disk to release.That usually occurs on solenoids that have seen a lot of starts and the contacts are getting severly pitted or possibly there was no spring or a broke spring in the end of the solenoid.
    If You have the original solenoid try installing it and see how it performs,if You are using the original solenoid remove the end cap and see what the contacts look like,they can be smoothed with wet/dry sandpaper,if they be real bad then I use My right angle die grinder and a green sanding disk to remove the roughest and then using some finer wet/dry sandpaper smooth them contacts.
    Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

OH YEA,Is the sparking plugs installed????if not install them plugs and gives it another try.
      Another thing that comes to mind is a low battery will cause the solenoid to stick.
      Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

No, the spark plugs are not installed. If that is it, I'm going to still throw something. (it will proably be 5 or more beers into my mouth) I spent another 5 hrs trying to figure this out. LOL. Battery was fully charged. That makes alot of sense. If the engine is just free wheeling, there isn't going to be any resistance to disengage the starter. I have to go buy some plugs tomorrow and try it again. Damn............... I can always count on you Marty to chime in. Thanks again.
        97 Fatboy

Comment

I haven't heard that one! Please, let us know the cure!
          Official Member #00149
          2 Stinking Trikes, '09 % '11
          Social Security and Medicare
          Qualified! 65 and still riding
          Official Bona fide Geezer

Comment

Did installing sparking plugs fix the issue with the starter???
            Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarty51 View Post
              Did installing sparking plugs fix the issue with the starter???
              Sorry, I was out working on the bike all day. I just about have it running, only a couple of things left.

Yup, the spark plugs fixed the starting issue. I feel like such a putz for spending so much time on a problem that wasn't even there. Thanks again Marty, I would probably still be out there if it wasn't for you. I owe you a beer if we ever cross paths.
              97 Fatboy

Comment

Cool!
                Herd member #85

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by autotec View Post
                  Sorry, I was out working on the bike all day. I just about have it running, only a couple of things left.

Yup, the spark plugs fixed the starting issue. I feel like such a putz for spending so much time on a problem that wasn't even there. Thanks again Marty, I would probably still be out there if it wasn't for you. I owe you a beer if we ever cross paths.
                  fuggars fixed and thats all that matters.
                  UUUHHHHhhhh,You do`nt want me drinkin no beer,things get real haywire real fast if that happenserboxCup a coffee will do in a pinch though.:)
                  Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Ear-tag #30 gets to keep his tag number once again! Way to redeem yourself Marty!!!
                    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Whod a thunk it? Man, you learn something everyday. Thanks Marty.
                      2010 Ultra Limited/Merlot/Cherry
                      Official HERD Member #00134

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
                        Ear-tag #30 gets to keep his tag number once again! Way to redeem yourself Marty!!!
                        UUUHHHHhhhhh,Thanks Boss,I think.ed:fall:laughout
                        Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Originally posted by glenalt View Post
                          Whod a thunk it? Man, you learn something everyday. Thanks Marty.
                          I sure didn't. I think this thing would have been running if I figured that out right away. Next time, I'll hop on here and ask first before I rip the entire bike apart again.
                          97 Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by autotec View Post
                            I sure didn't. I think this thing would have been running if I figured that out right away. Next time, I'll hop on here and ask first before I rip the entire bike apart again.
                            I've learned so much on here its amazing, but I wouldn't have thought of that one!
                            Official HERD Member #00144
                            Sponsored by: Rainrider

Comment

Working...
                            X