homemade bike lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• homemade bike lift

anyone here make there own lift..im starting to collect material to build one..going to do it on the cheap.a buddy made one back in school and its been working fine for years so im going to copy and tweak his design to fit my needs.
    wondering if anyone has pics of their homemade lifts.. id like to see others before i start..dont want a wide table.,but want the bike up high without using a regular bike jack which i have .
    lets see them lifts
    Last edited by colonelangus; 07-20-2010, 02:41 PM.
    09 Softail Springer FLSTFBT "AKA" Heritage Fatbones Touring
    www.youtube.com/user/bcvtwin?feature=mhee

herd #148

If you mean a lever that you move to lift the rear, you can make one from exhaust tubing. However, at $80 from Sears, I'd rather spend a tad more on a lift then take a chance of saving money, and dropping a $15K + motorcycle.

Cheap is good, but I draw the line at "cheap", vs taking a chance.

$80 for a hydraulic lift is less then your deductable in the event of a claim. Not to mention the "Awww FUK!!" factor.....

This type of jack is as cheap as it gets. I'd also never use one as the leverage/force is running through the grain of the wood, when force is applied to the bar. Granted, this one is made from 2 plies of wood, but again: You get what you pay for.

I've made these out of exhaust tubing though, and welded all the joints.

Last edited by Dave63; 07-20-2010, 03:09 PM.
    **Note: The technical info I provide is suggestive. I am not a perfeshunel.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

What He said.
      2010 Ultra Limited/Merlot/Cherry
      Official HERD Member #00134

Comment

X 3..

hey.. did you ever hook up with the people I gave you the addy for??
        the Maple Ridge crew???
        lots of fun
        sigpicHERD medic! #00039
        I am Jase's precious
        If you are what you eat, then I'm delicious!
        I miss you Rick, you goofball
        HPH- The Legend

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Yoga View Post
          X 3..

hey.. did you ever hook up with the people I gave you the addy for??
          the Maple Ridge crew???
          lots of fun
          Is it possible to keep a thread on track without hijacking it, or going off on another path??? Send him a PM for this............

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

Here is another idea but I would secure it (weld) to the bottom of a 18 x 18 metal plate of some sort.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bike lift..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	979123
            2010 FLHX - Street Glide
            HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

I use an air lift, I would not risk something failing and dropping my bike. Just my .02.
              Dale
              Official HERD Member #00145
              Keep The Rubber Side Down

Comment

i have used one similar to what Dave described.. the welded kind and it worked out ok.. i prefer my sears lift.. for the money it cant be beat.. but if space or money is an issue and you can weld i would make one like Dave described
                Official HERD Member #142
                2003 VRSCA

Comment

i use a a sears atv lift on all my stuff ! although getting the harley on it is a biatch,because it has so low of ground clearance! right now i have my vintage motocrosser up on it !!
                  herd member #00112
                  smitty
                  2009 nightster
                  AMA#262299 LIFE MEMBER

Comment

That scissors jack looks cool, but leaves little to stability for forward/backward movement, in the event of changing a tire.

If you've ever changed your own tires, you have a tendency to push/pull the bike a bit, and the last thing you want is a bike falling, while you;re sitting behind it, holding an unattached wheel.......

HERD Member #10

Comment

Originally posted by Dave63 View Post
                      That scissors jack looks cool, but leaves little to stability for forward/backward movement, in the event of changing a tire.

If you've ever changed your own tires, you have a tendency to push/pull the bike a bit, and the last thing you want is a bike falling, while you;re sitting behind it, holding an unattached wheel.......
                      Even worse if you have something with a long fender like an EG or Fatboy or Heritage Softail, you gotta jack that thing way up high on my air lift, wish I had the drop out for the rear tire!
                      Dale
                      Official HERD Member #00145
                      Keep The Rubber Side Down

Comment

A buddy of mine has the one from Harbor Freight I believe it was $69.00. I used it on my bike when I changed out my bars it was very sturdy, I will be buying one of my own soon. The only drawback to it was that it is kind of a tight fit to get it under the bike since its been lowered but thats my own fault :)

Josh #00042
                        R.I.P. Dad 1951-2015

Comment

i lowered my bike.. the way around that is .. roll your bike up on a 2 X 6 to give the clearance.. and put a small piece under the stand...
                          2003 VRSCA

Comment

Originally posted by doublej View Post
                            The only drawback to it was that it is kind of a tight fit to get it under the bike since its been lowered but thats my own fault ...
                            Yeah....I noticed that with mine too. I can weasel it in, but standing it up a little as I place the jack under usually works enough. I just have to be careful with a jack, because the Dyna has an aluminum oil pan, who;s drain bolt hangs lower then the frame rails.... lifting on the bolt can crack the pan.

Don't ask me how I know.

HERD Member #10

Comment

that doesnt sound good
                              2003 VRSCA

Comment

Working...
                              X