1999 Softail FXSTC custom Brake pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Softail FXSTC custom Brake pads

Anyone know what type of pads are on the front wheel ? Metalic, Semi-metalic, Organic
    Dealers I've called don't seem to know ??

I thought it was Organic but I never owned a Softail. Hope someone else knows the answer....
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Look at the original pads. If You can see shiny bits of silver looking stuff in there then they are metallic, if they have a yellowish looking shine then the pads are embedded with brass.
      If there is no shiny particles then they are an organic material.
      If installing new pads. I avoid the ones with the silver shiny bits in them, that is steel and, steel against the steel rotors will wear the rotors a lot faster, of the two other choices, if the organic is not available, I will go with the brass as it is a lot more gentle on the rotors. Rotors should be able to go for about the life of the motorcycle if the metallic pads can be avoided.
      Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

I did find one dealer who said they were Semi-metalic. Not sure about the Brass v steel.

Comment

To Me, semi metallic is real shiny with steel grindings.
          I know there are companies that make brake pads for the Harleys with no steel in them. That would sure save on the calipers.
          Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Working...
          X