• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190302_154002_resized.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1,023.8 KB
ID:	1244925

So I've told you of my absolute hatred for Torx head anything. Well, last trip to the Stealer, I bought a magnetic drain plug for the primary. It won't fit.

What fits in this primary is a straight-threaded plug with a recessed magnet, a o-ring that seats in a counterbore. Well, the one I picked up is a NPT pipe thread. Rather than return it, to have a semi-circle of parts guys huddling over parts catalogs, I said to hell with it. Got out my Dremel, and cut a fat screwdriver slot in the old plug. Then I picked a sacrificial shorty screwdriver and cut it off to fit.

Viola!

Redneck engineering once again reigns!

Name:	20190302_154044_resized.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	928.2 KB
ID:	1244926
    PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

Comment

Now you just have to remember what that special screwdriver is for and where you put it away when you next service the primary.

Comment

I see a lot of fun in the future trying to get that out. If you rounded out a torx hole what do you think will happen with those slots?
        2015 Limited

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner View Post
          I see a lot of fun in the future trying to get that out. If you rounded out a torx hole what do you think will happen with those slots?
          I don't round out female Torx holes in fasteners... I replace them with alloy or stainless SHCS. In this plug? I lay blame squarely on the former owner (or his wrench) one DaFish, Raymand Landry.

Grinding screwdriver slots on the shoulders of screwed up Torx fasteners is how I get them out! Works every time!

Last edited by Big D; 03-04-2019, 08:29 AM.
          PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

UHHhhhh, Dave, are You sure that is not an allen head hole in the drain plug ? Just curious is all.
            My FXDWG, it had torx screws for the fasteners and an allen wrench for to remove the drain plug. Looking at the hole in that plug, it too appears to be an allen type of a unit.
            Ear Tag no. 00030
            MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
            Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
            If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
            The missing link
            http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post

I don't round out female Torx holes in fasteners... I replace them with alloy or stainless SHCS. In this plug? I lay blame squarely on the former owner (or his wrench) one DaFish, Raymand Landry.

Grinding screwdriver slots on the shoulders of screwed up Torx fasteners is how I get them out! Works every time!
              I've done that too, I've never put one back in like that though, I'd at least weld a nut to it so a regular socket or wrench could be used in the future, but it's not my bike.
              2015 Limited

Comment

Well, things ground to a halt with ill-advised expenditures for vintage stereo equipment.

But I got going again here... Focusing on electrical stuff. Specifically, getting to the bottom of the occasional "click-click" when the bike has sat around. That "sitting" happened a lot this year.

First, I pulled the battery out to get the ignition switch out. This thing is junk. You stick the key in, and it wallows around... it's worn out. I wasn't able to identify it online, so I'll run it by the local indy. Those guys have treated me fine in that regard.

Junk:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190310_143644_resized (002).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	1245111

So, while I was rooting around, I thought I'd look at the solenoid contacts. I'd never been here before.

This flash pic is deceptive... it was filthy in there, with dusty black carbon-y looking stuff all over. Was hard to see, but it looked like the contacts were worn. So, I pulled the starter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190310_145252_resized (002).jpg Views:	0 Size:	704.5 KB ID:	1245112

Here's the brass plunger contact washer. It looked like it was getting just little "arc marks" when it contacted those contact semi-circles.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190310_111403_resized (002).jpg Views:	0 Size:	698.1 KB ID:	1245113

I got the starter out for a bath. Looks like a pretty deep wear pattern in there, around where the plunger washer contacts it to close the circuit. The wear was around 1/16" deep.
                Now, I don't know what's normal or what's worn, but it's an easy fix.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190310_142244_resized (002).jpg Views:	0 Size:	815.1 KB ID:	1245114
                Last edited by Big D; 03-10-2019, 03:10 PM.
                PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	oep2010477_217dc519f122f1e42ba6a0bca9a870f986c3258d.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.9 KB ID:	1245116

This is H-D kit part 31604-91 and I ordered it with wifey's Amazon Prime. $18. Should be here Wednesday.

Now, the old-timers will tell you this- this is a great back-up plan. Solenoid cover with a plunger button. Think I'll get one coming. $30.

Ain't no "click" with your right thumb.

Click image for larger version  Name:	41lmUlqtLGL.jpg Views:	0 Size:	18.2 KB ID:	1245117
                  Finally... I couldn't find any mention of how old the battery was in Raymand's parts book. I've had the bike two years now, and it just sat for several years in TX before I bought it. The battery is made in China.

This one is a 20 size, and I can get a H-D HEI OEM part at the squealer for $130ish.
                  PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Got the solenoid contacts in.

As an old boss of mine used to say... "I'm not doing nothing."

Old contacts and plunger.

Name:	20190314_195949_resized (002).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	707.1 KB
ID:	1245217

Ready to be put back on the bike. I'll retrofit the push-button cover when I get it in. Just three screws to R&R.

Name:	20190314_195851_resized (002).jpg
Views:	27
Size:	757.7 KB
ID:	1245219
                    Attached Files
                    PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Well, this thread was silly. Not a whole lot to do with a bike that saw 2,700 miles on it last year. Just lacks some fluids and a gasket and a paycheck. I tested the battery and it's in the green, so it goes back in.

It's bath time and detailing.

One mystery solved- I could NOT find a ignition switch anywhere on the 'net with this 4-pin Packard-style plug.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190310_143644_resized (002).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	1245242

There's a reason! It doesn't exist! I took it to the indy and it stumped the counter guy. He huddled with the other owner, who said, "Yeah... that switch doesn't come with the connector. I can get a new switch and put new contacts in this connector for you. Uhhh, it'll cost you an additional $6."

Sure ! Take my money!

Anyway, I'll have it and gaskets and fluids Friday.

~~

You don't think suspensions don't work hard. I saw the clean spot on my tubes every time I see stuff like this, I wonder how punishing an ol' hardtail springer chopper would be to ride.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190317_083642_resized (002).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	1245243
                      Last edited by Big D; 03-17-2019, 08:29 AM.
                      PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Well... I got the new ignition switch back in.

A major pain, as there's not much room under the seat for stuff- there's a in-line control module under there that fools the speedo into the correct reading from the speed sensor picking up 6th gear on the Baker, instead of 5th. Also, Raymand had retrofitted a super-bright brake & rear turn signal LED package. (When you hit the brakes, it flashes 3 times in rapidly, then stays on. I love it.) Well, that module is tucked under there, too.

I got her in, then suffered the bizarre Dyna battery box wrestling match. Hooker 'er up and...

Nothing. Deader than a doornail.

Name:	thumbnail_20190323_091650_resized.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	1245320

Took 'er all apart and found the 3-wire hookup in the 4-hole harness was mirror-image. Oops.

Got that fixed. Poured $62 worth of oil in all the holes, everything shiny.

Name:	thumbnail_20190323_165224_resized_1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	1245321

Quick, chilly shakedown ride.

The new ignition switch will take some getting used to. It has a spring that spits the key out when you shut it off. It's nice, tho. The old one was shot. Once in a while, you'd look down, and the tach would be at zero, and the turn signals wouldn't work.

I hope I ran that occasional "click-no-start" gremlin to ground. Battery tested fine, ground wire to starter solid, no more worrying about the ignition switch, and I replaced the solenoid contacts. I

So, she's old enough to vote now, I'm good to go for 2019!

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Good Job.It should run real nice for another season, at least.
                          Ear Tag no. 00030
                          MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
                          Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
                          If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
                          The missing link
                          http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Working...
                          X