My annual service & love thread- TARA 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My annual service & love thread- TARA 2019

Well, it's roughly that time again. Following a decades-long tradition, I don't do anything in the winter to the bike until after the Christmas hurdle. Got that done. And now, as we are looking at (-15) temps coming this week, why not just put the bike on the lift and freeze my a$$ off out in the cave?

So, it's gonna be different, this year for this bike. For the first time since 2006, I have NO PLANS to update anything. Well, with one exception.

~~

Boy, the times, they are a' changin'. LilJo says Father Time is undefeated, and in my personal case, as I slog through the 3rd trimester of life on this earth, I've noticed I don't have the strength I used to. I mentally crossed a rear tire installation by myself off my list last year... it was all I could do to wrestle the rear wheel, position all the spacers, deal with the axle all by myself.... at best a three-hand job... and now with the diminished strength of a senior citizen. I'll holler for help next time. And that goes for putting the bike up on my lift and taking it down.

Clint said, "Man's gotta know his limitations." Wise words.

So- here's my main maintenance task for 2019... (This photo taken last year)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_35888.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,020.2 KB ID:	1243950

Tara had mid-positioned controls on it since Raymand DaFish owned it. As soon as I took possession of it, I knew they had to go. It's all personal preference, I guess, but if there was a overriding reason that would keep me off a metric bike, it would be this- any bike I've ever been on with a "normal" mid-position for foot controls feel cramped for me.

Now, DaFish had highway pegs on this bike and used them all the time,and when he "got busy", doing all sorts of wild-ass curve carving? Rather than to shift back to the mid pegs, he would do his gear shifting with a cowboy spur he had mounted to his left riding boot!

How many of you Herdsters have seen this in action?

He gave me the spur. But Big D don't do no spur.

Anyway, I bypassed the mid jackshaft shifter lever and bellcrank, and just left it there. Which is fine. Except the o-ring around the jackshaft leaks out the rear primary.

Years ago, I put forwards on my other Superglide. When I had the inner primary off for a belt change, I plugged the hole with a 1/2" bolt washers and nut, and a lot of Permatex. Worked great.

Last year, I borrowed a big I-R impact wrench and a air tank, to remove the crank and the clutch basket nuts to get the inner primary off. The crank nut wouldn't budge. So, I let it drip all last year. Embarrassing. The other day, I stopped in to my fave indy, with a sketch I made, to get a quote on THEM removing the primary, plugging the hole, re-assembling with new gasket and oil.

--pull primary, plug hole, re-assemble with new inspection cover . . . . . . . . $290

--same as above, plus new drive belt . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $490

-- Me, bypassing the indy, smearing JB Weld around the jackshaft, then Permatex . . . . . $10

~~

Option #2 SHOULD be the way to go. I'm giving serious consideration to Option #3.

Last edited by Big D; 01-27-2019, 07:25 AM.
    PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Everytime I allowed someone else to mess with my muscheeeenery, it was messed up upon return.
      Not that Your indy would do that, it`s just that I do not trustum.
      Ear Tag no. 00030
      MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
      Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
      If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
      The missing link
      http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarty51 View Post
        Everytime I allowed someone else to mess with my muscheeeenery, it was messed up upon return.
        Not that Your indy would do that, it`s just that I do not trustum.
        I second this statement -- If you got the wrenches and can read a manual, doing it yourself is the way to go.

Just like an airplane -- it's the pilot's responsibility to insure that it's airworthy before taking off -- so hat's why you'll always see the pilot taking a walk completely around the plane before every flight!

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKing View Post

I second this statement -- If you got the wrenches and can read a manual, doing it yourself is the way to go.

Just like an airplane -- it's the pilot's responsibility to insure that it's airworthy before taking off -- so hat's why you'll always see the pilot taking a walk completely around the plane before every flight!
          The Lion Air Boeing 737 MAX crash in Indonesia recently, the pilots were fighting the aircraft wanting to nose into the ground, 29 times. All they had to do was turn off the control system that was causing the issue, but they were not trained on the new system, or did they have the time to read the manual. Just flip a switch, to off. Nothing to do with this thread, just telling the story, as it has been on my radar this past weeks.

Hey Henry, congrats grandpa!
          Mark

Comment

Bring that bike down to Bloomington, we'll get it apart.
            2015 Limited

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_35650.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1243987

No workee on the bike this week. Supposed to hit -16 Wednesday.

I learned another thing today. I have this set of V&H Big Radius pipes in the attic, a gift from several years back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_35667.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	707.3 KB
ID:	1243988

These came off of a 2013 Dyna Wide Glide. It appeared to me, comparing installation instructions, that I needed a different mounting bracket that mounts behind the transmission clutch actuator housing. Well, I finally got through to V&H Tech support and it turns out the position of the jugs' position relative to the transmission housing was changed in 2006.

So... no updated pipes.

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Originally posted by BaggerBum View Post
                Hey Henry, congrats grandpa!
                Does this mean We have a grandpa RoadKing ?
                Corngratulations young feller if this is true.
                How`s that fuhr a hijacking ?

Ear Tag no. 00030
                The missing link

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarty51 View Post
                  Does this mean We have a grandpa RoadKing ?
                  Corngratulations young feller if this is true.
                  How`s that fuhr a hijacking ?
                  Not yet, twins are due by the first week in April. My luck and they're coming April 1-- and nobody will believe me.

Comment

Not yet, twins are due by the first week in April. My luck and they're coming April 1-- and nobody will believe me.

Congrats, Henry!

Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
                    Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
                    See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

We believes Yuh. Trust Meeee.
                      Ear Tag no. 00030
                      The missing link

Comment

We got 3 grandboys, the oldest will be 10 next week, then 8 and the last one is 6. This last 10 years has been an amazing time for me having them in my life....you got some good times coming Henry.
                        Mark

Comment

Daves thread will resume next week, when the weather warms up......
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by BaggerBum View Post
                            Daves thread will resume next week, when the weather warms up......
                            Ear Tag no. 00030
                            The missing link

Comment

The only thing of substance on this thread is Henry's good news.

All I've posted so far is what I CAN'T do... with photos from last year.

Told ya I was getting old.

~~

Yessir! The high for Sunday is 52 degrees, which is a 68 degree improvement from last Wednesday. I'll get her petticoats up in the air Sunday afternoon. Beats hell outa watching the New England Bradys* play that silly game.

(*Note- being a Indiana resident, Colts fan and former season ticket holder in the '80's, I share the regional Hoosier hatred for New England in general, and Tom Terrific specifically, that blazes hotter than one thousand suns.)

PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT PFFT

Comment

Working...
                              X