Clutch cable leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch cable leak

Starting a thread on this, rather than putting it on the TARA saga. I know this'll work, because I've already done it on on my other Superglide.

This pertains to all Twincam Alpha engines... the ones that shake.

~~

I was spotting oil on my garage floor. I assumed it was the cam chest cover, having it off recently. Got out my wrenches, and got underneath for a closer look. Turns out it was my clutch cable. I had pulled it closer to the bottom of the engine to gain a little more length up top, due to a bar change. It was rubbing on the boss (pictured)

Because the clutch cable goes under the engine cases on its way to the left grip, this area is lower than the cables' entry into the tranny housing. If the braided shielded sheath (usually stainless, and below the black cover) has a wear point that opens up a pinhole, it will leak trans fluid. And as I run Spectro syn 75W140 in the Baker DD6 per their recommendation, and as it is $14/qt. it gets fixed!

The poorly-rendered arrow shows where the wear happened.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180401_112809_cropped_LI.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1234236

Several ways to fix this... a 1" longer clutch cable for one.

Below is the fix I'll do. It's exactly how I fixed my old Superglide.

~~

I measured the diameter of the cable sheath- it's 0.431" diameter.

I'll hit up the hardware store for a 2" long Schedule 80 pipe nipple for a 3/8" NPT. The OD is .675, the ID is .423 diameter.

Bandsaw it in half, dope it liberally with crap-load of Permatex Form-a-gasket, and clamp both ends with hose clamps. This will armor-plate the cable from the engine doing any more damage to the cable.

Probably have $10 in it, and ding up my bandsaw blade some.

Name:	20180401_115449_resized[2743].jpg
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1234237
    2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

When you doing the machine work on the NPT?
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
      When you doing the machine work on the NPT?
      As soon as I buy one at Lowes. Probably tomorrow.

And by "machine work", it's just splitting it lengthwise with my little bandsaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post

As soon as I buy one at Lowes. Probably tomorrow.

And by "machine work", it's just splitting it lengthwise with my little bandsaw.

I know exactly what you meant. But based on the architecture design, I called it machine work.
        2010 FLHX - Street Glide
        HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

I know exactly what you meant. But based on the architecture design, I called it machine work.

Comment

This is a GOOD day!

Just read Kev LilJo's post about his next-door neighbors, then as I was eating a sammy at work, I did a google search on "H-D leaking clutch cable" for fun.

What else did I find than forum posts from V-Twin Forum, H-D Forum, etc. I clicked on a few, and began grinning ear-to-ear. Lots of advice given, diagnoses about cable o-rings, etc. Then, predictably, the "Thomases" waded in, saying stuff like "there's NO WAY trans fluid could get past the o-ring"... and all sorts of theories, accusations, flame-throwing... you're an idiot... etc.

At no time did I find anyone that had crawled underneath their bike and saw, "Hey! My cable sheath has a little hole in it from rubbing on a bolt boss!"
            ~~

So! What do you think...

Big D's Clutch Cable Armor Kit

$299.95

"Increases gas mileage, reduces back pressure..."

(That last was stolen from every single thing J.C. Whitney ever sold...)

Last edited by Big D; 04-02-2018, 12:25 PM.

Comment

go for it Dave, it's hard to tell how many you'll sell
              1986 FXR 2015 Road Glide

Member #00014

Comment

Well, it ain't pretty...

Best laid plans, and all that. Lowe's didn't have any Schedule 80, but I poked around and got a 1/4" brass pipe nipple that worked even better. The I.D. was right, and I band saw blade liked the brass, too.

Here's the kit. Chopped nipple right down the middle, a couple of stainless hose clamps, and some Permatex.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180402_201135_resized[2744].jpg Views:	1 Size:	134.6 KB ID:	1234351

I cut that cloth-looking netting about where the wear spot was forming, doped the inside of the nipple halves with that black snot (got it everywhere) and clamshelled it shut, and clamped it up.

Name:	20180402_201044_resized[2745].jpg
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1234352

Comment

What will secure the hydraulic pressure? Will the brass fitting rub against the nut that caused the problem? No pun intended when I said the "nut that caused the problem".
                  2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                  HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

What will secure the hydraulic pressure? Will the brass fitting rub against the nut that caused the problem? No pun intended when I said the "nut that caused the problem".
                    There isn't any pressure higher than atmospheric in the trans housing, as it is vented to the atmosphere.

There's no nut that rubs on the cable... it's the edge of the boss on the lowest part of the engine case that rubs on the cable housing. I'm not preventing this from touching, I'm "armor plating" the cable sheath and the Permatex will prevent the small amount of tranny fluid from dripping out the pinhole leak in the sheath.

This worked great on my old bike.

Comment

I replaced a clutch cable on 2000 for that very reason, why couldn't you have been around back then to guide me?
                      2015 Limited

Comment

Working...
                      X