Service, updates and love- TARA 2018 version

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This segment done.... almost.

Internal wiring all done and tested. Throttle cables into the new grip and adjusted. I'm pleased.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180204_143737_resized[2589].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	490.2 KB
ID:	1232261

Name:	20180204_142729_resized[2590].jpg
Size:	607.7 KB
ID:	1232262

Name:	20180204_142543_resized.jpg
Size:	876.4 KB
ID:	1232263

I lack a new brake line. I'm pulling the old one off and taking it to an indy to see if they make one for me while they mount and balance a new Commander II up front. This one is 1-1/2" too short.

Next stop both primary castings come off for shifter shaft removal, and to fix that pesky leak.
    2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

Comment

Looking mighty fine Dave.
      Now, the only way You will be able to tell how well them bars will fit You, is to set on the bike and make motorcycle noises with You lips. LOL
      Ear Tag no. 00030
      MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
      Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
      If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
      The missing link
      http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarty51 View Post
        Looking mighty fine Dave.
        Now, the only way You will be able to tell how well them bars will fit You, is to set on the bike and make motorcycle noises with You lips. LOL

I've done it!

As far as the fit-up, Mr. Marty... I'm no stranger to Superglides with buckhorn bar. Ran this one for years...

Name:	1919514_104960846182541_1326700_n.jpg
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1232280

Comment

Always enjoy watching what you do over the winter. You're probably way ahead on this but have you ever made the carb mods? Years ago I did this from this place

https://cv-performance.com/

Felt like I was going to destroy it when I drilled that hole but it made a big difference in throttle response and overall performance. Really glad I did it.
          x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
          HERD member #66
          HS I Survivor
          HS II Survivor
          HS III Survivor
          HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

Comment

Originally posted by Geespot View Post
            Always enjoy watching what you do over the winter. You're probably way ahead on this but have you ever made the carb mods? Years ago I did this from this place

https://cv-performance.com/

Felt like I was going to destroy it when I drilled that hole but it made a big difference in throttle response and overall performance. Really glad I did it.
            George, I never did respond to this...

Ol' TARA has a Screamin' Eagle 44mm monster carb and intake, and as it's been on a dyno, I imagine Raymand wrung out all the jetting he could when he put this stuff on.

Ha! If anything, I'd like to de-tune this rocket some, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Comment

Have I ever told you folks how I HATE Torx screws?

I do. I REALLY do. I spend a nice hour or so making screwdriver slots into the inspection cover bolts that had stripped.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180211_071111_resized[2652].jpg Views:	1 Size:	574.0 KB ID:	1232463

Well, naturally, I couldn't break the torque on the crank nut, so I'm borrowing impact stuff from a co-worker.

To recap, here's why both primaries are coming off... the shifter jackshaft inner seal is leaking like a sieve. As I have put forward controls on it last year, I don't use it anyway, so it'll come out. But to take it out, the inner primary has to come off.

This sure doesn't look like my other Superglide...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180211_071239_resized[2653].jpg Views:	1 Size:	1,020.2 KB ID:	1232464

Here's what's not stock in this photo-

Baker compensator sprocket, Baker driven sprocket. This is to monkey with speed ratios for the Baker DD6 six speed tranny
              The take-up shoe (black) is also a Baker item, to make the different chain lash distance right to use the old chain
              Barnett synthetic clutch package with extra plate
              Screamin' Eagle clutch spring
              Non-standard starter pinion

I've done this simple mod before... when I remove the non-functioning jackshaft and housing, the hole in the rear will be replaced with a 1/2-13 short bolt, locknut, a couple washers, and a 1/2 tube of Permatex Aviation Form-a-gasket. Looks like roofing tar. There won't be any more leaks!

~~

I'm not real happy with the shoe wear here, but it'll go back on. Raymand prolly carved the stress on the idler side by downshifting this like Sterling Moss' Lotus at Monaco. Me? I'm somewhat more sedate.

This is also a Baker item.

Now, Raymand always ran Type F automatic transmission fluid in the primary, because of the synthetic clutch plates. When that seal went bad, I couldn't keep ATF in the primary, as it had such a thin viscosity. So, when this goes back together, it'll get Harley primary oil. Ol' sedate D doesn't need to launch. He just motors around.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180211_092008_resized[2654].jpg Views:	1 Size:	743.7 KB ID:	1232465

Well, Mom liked the saying, "Neither a borrower nor a lender be", but I'm stuck on hold without impact tools, and I'm getting a friends' I-R gun, and my son's compressor tomorrow.

Inching up on it...
              Last edited by Big D; 02-12-2018, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Sure wish you didn't live 4 hours away. Got all that stuff right here.
                2015 Limited

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner View Post
                  Sure wish you didn't live 4 hours away. Got all that stuff right here.
                  Appreciate that, Gunner... but I rounded up all the stuff. Co-worker has a nice impact tool, and I just picked up my son's compressor. It's too late to mess with at present... I'm thinking about blowing off work tomorrow and making a day of it.

Got my front tire from the UPS man tonight.

Comment

OK, the primary is back and buttoned up. I blew off work Wednesday, and did a major thrash.

Delivered the front wheel and new tire to my trusty Indy, as well as the front brake line assembly. They're going to put a new one together for me.

Here's a chuckle... When the bike came to me last year, DaFish Raymond messaged me, "I looked all over the place and can't find the other key!" He promised to keep looking.

Well, yesterday... looky what I found! Inside the ignition/fuse cover.

Name:	thumbnail_20180215_060343_resized.jpg
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	1232600

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                      OK, the primary is back and buttoned up. I blew off work Wednesday, and did a major thrash.

Delivered the front wheel and new tire to my trusty Indy, as well as the front brake line assembly. They're going to put a new one together for me.

Here's a chuckle... When the bike came to me last year, DaFish Raymond messaged me, "I looked all over the place and can't find the other key!" He promised to keep looking.

Well, yesterday... looky what I found! Inside the ignition/fuse cover.

Name:	thumbnail_20180215_060343_resized.jpg
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	1232600
                      HA!! Sometimes that Fish is too clever for his own good.
                      Kristy
                      Official HERD Member #00205

'09 Softail Deluxe - Mojo
                      Stage 1, dyno, no major mods but it's shiny!

Comment

x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
                        HERD member #66
                        HS I Survivor
                        HS II Survivor
                        HS III Survivor
                        HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

Comment

Yeah... aren't those fun?
                          I replaced the ones on my clutch cover with hex heads.

Have I ever told you folks how I HATE Torx screws?

I do. I REALLY do. I spend a nice hour or so making screwdriver slots into the inspection cover bolts that had stripped.

Click image for larger version Name:	20180211_071111_resized[2652].jpg Views:	1 Size:	574.0 KB ID:	1232463
                          Official HERD Member #00231

"Blue skies hanging over my head, I got five hundred miles to ride" - RVZ

Comment

Well... the snail moved a little...

I got my brake line components (came in 7 boxes!) and pieced it together.

What a hassle! That bar change? In retrospect was pretty damn dumb. Even though I got the bar for free, and used basic grips, and my throttle cables are ok and my clutch cable is ok, The brake line components were $160.

Name:	20180225_155423_resized.jpg
Size:	717.5 KB
ID:	1232957

Name:	20180225_155047_resized.jpg
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	1232958

I got a new Michelin tire mounted and balanced and ready to go back on, then I'll be wrapping it up.

Like I'm going somewhere. We've had 8" of rain here last week. I have my garage door sandbagged.

Comment

Well... the snail moved a little...

I got my brake line components (came in 7 boxes!) and pieced it together.

What a hassle! That bar change? In retrospect was pretty damn dumb. Even though I got the bar for free, and used basic grips, and my throttle cables are ok and my clutch cable is ok, The brake line components were $160.

Name:	20180225_155423_resized.jpg
Size:	717.5 KB
ID:	1232957

Name:	20180225_155047_resized.jpg
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	1232958

I got a new Michelin tire mounted and balanced and ready to go back on, then I'll be wrapping it up.

Like I'm going somewhere. We've had 8" of rain here last week. I have my garage door sandbagged.

OhMy, Come on over, snow is about four foot deep on the flats.
                              It probably wont be until mid Jooolie before this stuff is gone.
                              Ear Tag no. 00030
                              MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
                              Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
                              If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
                              The missing link
                              http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Upper brake line was too long. Waiting on a shorter one...

Could start a poll... "How long will Bid D (no speed demon, that one...) take to bleed a dual brake line with DOT-5 Silicon brake fluid?"

I'm thinking 10 hours.

"...could take years; cost thousands of lives..." Boone, Animal House

Comment

Working...
                                X