Service, updates and love- TARA 2018 version

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service, updates and love- TARA 2018 version

There are some new folks here and may be unfamiliar with my annual thread. The more veteran of HERD folks are probably sadly smiling, thinking "Ol' D... here he goes again..." The worlds' most boring thread.

Each year, when I actually owned a motorcycle, I'd post a thread similar to this. I've missed doing this. Now, last February I attempted a TARA thread as soon as I got it from Raymand from Texas, but that one fell woefully flat. I didn't do any changes to it, and instead I performed maintenance and service to a motorcycle that did not need it.

The only exception to this was I noticed last spring one of my fork sliders was slightly sticky with oil. And, sure enough, I blew a seal on a day-trip. Well, into the manuals I dug... I'd had the sliders apart on my old FXD before. But these Showa front forks are the Sport FXDX ones- they have 14 set-able click-stops for both damping and rebound, have two separate oil reservoirs, and take special spring compressors. The manual was 35 pages long on the rebuild. I sought an indy to do a rebuild. These guys are great- they said if I would do the bike disassembly and assembly, and they only had the sliders to contend with, they would do it for $140. That was a deal!

I got two rebuilt sliders to go with almost new rear (VERY expensive) FXDX shocks Raymand installed before he parked it. So, I basically have a nearly new Sport suspension from the get-go.

~~

Well, she needs a little TLC and maintenance now.

Here's my maintenance list, in addition to the 80k checklist of stuff.

- New compensator sprocket spring pack/washer assembly. I'm getting some rattling and knocking in this area with some elevated engine vibration. It's OEM and 17 years old. I know I'll replace this at least, and inspect the cam ramps on the sprocket halves.

- Remove and discard mid shifter jackshaft. I went with forwards when I got the bike, rendering the mid-shaft worthless... "abandoned in-place". The problem is the o-ring in the rear primary is shot, and it leaks. Raymand always ran Ford Type F ATF as a primary lube and the absence of viscosity meant this seal leaked all over the place. Discarding the jackshaft and plugging the rear primary hole is an easy change (I've done this before) when you have the casting on your bench. The ornrey part is you have to dismantle everything except the curb feelers off the bike to do so. Oh well, I have all winter.

- Ignition switch. It's getting hard to get the key in and out of the existing one, and when "in" it tends to waller around. ("Waller" is Hoosier for worn and sloppy) And I've run into a couple "click-no-start" times recently. Out it goes.

- Gas gage mechanism. One of TARA's quirks is the "wandering" gas gage needle. When you fill it up, it may take the needle two minutes to get there. And normal riding, it just wanders around... "in the ballpark" I've reverted back to what we all did in the old days, like I did with my 1976 Honda. Set the trip odometer. I'll have the tank off this winter, and I'll pull the mechanism. It's bizarre. I had my old bikes' out for tin painting, and gave it a look-over. Maybe the float mechanism just needs freed up.

- Steering head bearings inspection/replacement. I'll let the fallaway test be my guide here. The Timkens on my old FXD were Brinnelled after 50k or so. Last winter, these on TARA seemed smoother, but I'll just see how this goes. I WOULD like to at least see how much grease is in them. (My old bike? They were DRY)

~~
    ~~

Well, here's a loose list of updates:

- Bar change. Yup. I'm gonna do it. And re-wire internally while I'm at it. My wires are 3" too short. This'll clean it up. More below.

- Exhaust system swap. I'm on the fence on this one. I was given a nearly new Vance&Hines big radius system, off a 2013 FXDLR. I know I'll have to plug the O2 sensor ports, and the tranny bracket mount won't fit. I have not contacted V&H to see if I can get a bracket for correct fitment. I'll do this research this week while I'm off work.

Well... here goes...

Last edited by Big D; 12-26-2017, 09:07 AM.
    2001 FXDX Superglide Sport. More horses than a feller would want

Official HERD Member #00192

"What, me worry?" Alfred E. Neuman

So! Here goes!

Buckhorn bars, given to me from a guy that pulled them off a 2000 FXD. These are a true 26-1/2 wide.

On my old Superglide, I'd put Bucks on it, pulled off a 1995 Sportster Hugger, and they were narrower, but I loved them.

Now, this bar is non-magnetic stainless, and HARD HARD! I had a helluva time drilling this with a 7/16" drill. I have all my dad's old drill indexes, and this drill is sharp. But my poor old Harbour Frieght drill press stalled out repeatedly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171223_150958_resized[2381].jpg Views:	1 Size:	931.1 KB ID:	1229847

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171224_080922_resized[2380].jpg Views:	1 Size:	932.0 KB ID:	1229848

Went after it with a Dremel. The key here is to eliminate all burrs where the wire comes in and out the bar.

It ain't pretty, as this tubing is HARD. It'll all be out of sight anyway. (Really, I don't see how metal fabricators do it. my mindset is sawing and sanding wood.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171224_091118_resized[2379].jpg Views:	1 Size:	964.2 KB ID:	1229849

Last edited by Big D; 12-26-2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Oh boy! Something NEW to follow...

2010 FLHX - Street Glide
      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

I look forward to this thread as I do each year Dave. Hard hard and hard can also be interpreted as brittle. Thats a big hole in them bars. Force will be applied to the knurls, but keep an eye out for hairline cracks non the less.
        Mark
        HERDster #204

Ride On Larry Weaver
        Wndchsr, catch you in the breeze my friend

Comment

Where is chapter 2?
          2010 FLHX - Street Glide
          HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by BaggerBum View Post
            I look forward to this thread as I do each year Dave. Hard hard and hard can also be interpreted as brittle. That's a big hole in them bars. Force will be applied to the knurls, but keep an eye out for hairline cracks non the less.
            Thanks, Mark, and I appreciate the heads-up. I probably meant to say, this bar was HARD for me to drill with marginal tools. But I took a quick look at a metals guide; one that I use all the time at work. This tubing is far from brittle... being non-magnetic stainless, it's either 303 or 304 alloy, which has 78k psi tensile (1018 CDS has 61k) and much more elongation, 70% vs. 39% for cold rolled 1010 steel. It'll bend and deform like crazy before it breaks. That's why I couldn't easily drill it in a marginal tiny drill press- it wouldn't "chip-break" like CRS, just smear.

It DOES beg the question- how much did I weaken the bar by slotting it? Well, this is the third bar I've done this to... I did some apes for my other Superglide. And then tested the integrity of this bar by flipping that bike several times on the Interstate about 8 years ago. Sheared off the clutch lever, mirror, mangled the grip. Bar OK.

Take a look at what riders held onto 60/70 years ago- this is a pic of a bar off a panhead... it's 4 pieces.

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	1 Size:	136.3 KB ID:	1229883

So, anyway, what's the hold-up?

I'm off all this week; should be making all this fabulous progress! Well, when I got up this morning it was (-4) degrees. My garage is attached, and it's cold out there, but it's miserable, just the same. I have two small electric heaters out there, but they won't make a dent. I had some family stuff to do today, but I just went out to the shed to get the Kerosene heater and the 4 gallon tank. It's empty, so I'll go get some when I'm out tonight. I hate kero, but I have no choice this week. Forecast is for sub-zero temps for the next week or so.

As far as the bar goes, I roughed up the entire surface with 320 grit, then masked, primered and painted it with Rustoleum black. It turned out OK, just not fabulous.

~~

Click image for larger version  Name:	FB_IMG_1514374711795[2388].jpg Views:	1 Size:	29.4 KB ID:	1229884
            Last edited by Big D; 12-27-2017, 03:09 PM.

Comment

That should be in funny pics. thread.
              Ear Tag no. 00030
              MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
              Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
              If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
              The missing link
              http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Oh, boy. A whole lotta life happened this last week. A week off work... shoulda been making some progress with this. Naturally, my wife set her sails on painting her Lady's Cave/scrapbook/crafts room. I heard those fateful words, "I'm gonna do this; don't get all excited, you won't have to do a thing..."

This, from the lady awaiting a surgery date for her elbow... that's in a brace... Yup. I wound up doing 80% of it.

Then, a death of a friend... then our furnace started acting up. Yup. A nice relaxing week.

~~

The paint on the bars didn't look all that great, so I took it all off and got a different primer and paint. This looks great now. Proof of results soon. Waiting on UPS to bring new grips.

The fallaway evaluation on the neck bearings was fine. It's amazing, in fact- this bike has some limit-stretching hard mileage on it, and Raymand has told me he's had the front wheel off the ground more times than he'd like to admit. Anyway, there's no need in pulling all that stuff off this session.

I pulled the tank off to get at the throttle cables (if necessary) and the upper engine swingarm. waded into the gas gage sending unit, and it looked completely different than my faulty memory allowed, when I had my tins off my other bike years ago. I think I found the culprit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171231_145249_resized[2401].jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	1230033

There are two tiny spoons behind the gray plastic rectangle, that ride in the arc of the two printed circuits, that rise and fall via this thing that looked like the guts of a toilet tank.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171231_220454[2402].jpg Views:	1 Size:	912.1 KB ID:	1230034

There is a "gripnut" or "pal-nut" that holds the wire on the sending unit. I'm pointing to it with the pencil. It had slipped back on the shaft, allowing "slop" and intermittent contact on the circuit board. I scooted it up (already done, here) and I imagine that's why my gas gauge wandered around.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171231_145445_resized[2399].jpg Views:	1 Size:	733.2 KB ID:	1230035
                Last edited by Big D; 01-01-2018, 10:50 AM.

Comment

For a decade, I owned a Superglide just one year older than this one. And over the years of performing 99% of the service myself on that one, I got to know it pretty well. When I would pull covers off, tins, exhaust, etc. on that one I would notice how filthy it got. This bike is totally different. Or maybe its just being blacked out, and my mind is tricked by the shade of it, or perhaps pride? Don't know.

I will swear to anyone that'll listen that this "X", or the Dyna FXDX in black trim, is one of the most beautiful modern production bikes the MoCo ever screwed together. Again, IMO, it's second only to the Night Train softy.

Anyway, I'm just a so-so wrench, but I don't know how it is that I can cock-up a simple project like pulling a tank. I've done it 5 or 6 times now, and I plan, buy tubing, lay everything out, and just the act of draining what's left of fuel out can turn into a Keystone Kops episode.

Anyway, got 'er done.

Here's the fun part. As I do segments of this bike, and I have a full 8 weeks to do it in, I'm in no hurry, and I get to detail everything as I go on. On the other bike, I polished the daylights out of the aluminum. Not so, this one. I'm LOVIN' the black.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171231_152241_resized[2397].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	1230043

Dayum! The cave looks messy!

The innards of this tank look nothing like my old one. Looking into the gas gauge hole where the frame tunnel is, it has a beautiful gray porcelain looking coating on it. Totally different than my old one, which looked bad. Looked like bubbles of corrosion, and flakes, etc. This one is pristine.

So I'll tell this one on Raymand... don't really want to know what happened, but within the maintenance records, I found paperwork for a brand new tank, FXDX badging, in Vivid Black, dated 2007. The startling thing is what The MoCo extort-- err sold these for. Holy moly.

So, anyway, if my thinking is right, chalk up a small win on the gas gauge fix.

~~

Here's what I mean by "clean".

Raymand told me recently about how he went about the upgrades on this bike, when performance parts were still a bit rare for the Twincam, having only been out two years. Here's one of them... can't see much of it here, but here's the Screamin' Eagle 44mm carb and intake.

Name:	20171231_145158_resized[2403].jpg
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1230044

Here's a cool thing- on the frame backbone (top tube in bicycle parlance) some line operator of maybe an inspector had marked a "3" on it as it passed down the line. I'm assuming this bike came from the same St. Louis plant my 2000 FXD did. It had been marked with a "2".

~~

I TOLD ya this thread would be boring...

Comment

Next is to finish the bar update. Can't really wade into it until I get my new grips. A surprise here- I'm going OEM. What I used to call Harley's "bowling balls". Should have them by Wednesday.

Name:	20180101_043911_resized[2404].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	707.2 KB
ID:	1230106n

Well, these Big Radius pipes were a gift. they're off a 2013 FXDWG. i THINK all I need to mount up to this FXDX is a different mounting bracket, situated, as all are, around the transmission housing.

I've e-mailed V&H and asked their tech folks for confirmation and price and availability the correct bracket is.

Attached Files

Comment

Well, I internally wired the throttle side this weekend. Lots of messing around, soldering and fussing.

It DOES look clean. The good news is my throttle cables (will) work fine. Less good news is I'll need a new brake line.

Name:	thumbnail_20180107_161838_resized.jpg
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	1230562

~~

I'm really not keen on working on this thing. The weekends' event have left me devastated. But it's shaping up to be a long winter. I have plenty of time.

Comment

Yup. Take some time
                        sigpicHERD medic! #00039
                        I am Jase's precious
                        If you are what you eat, then I'm delicious!
                        I miss you Rick, you goofball
                        HPH- The Legend

Comment

I saw elsewhere that Gunner, whose bike is up on the lift for service, is still up. After Jeff passed, it all took the collective wind out of our sails. Sure did me. Coupled by the fact that this bitter cold that has us by the throats locally, it's just tough to do. We've had sub zero weather for 15 straight days.

Anyway, I've gotten one side re-wired, and hooked up the battery to test. All AOK. It DOES look clean. One side down; one to go. I have the extention wires soldered and color coded on the left grip.

Name:	20180121_142240_resized_1[2510].jpg
Size:	769.6 KB
ID:	1231517

What's left to do on the front end is to (in addition to wiring the right grip) order a new front brake line assembly, and mount a front tire. Re-assemble the throttle cables into the new throttle grip.

Then something I dread- bleeding the front brake lines.

~~

On the primary side, the mid shifter shaft o-ring leaks around the rear primary... like a sieve, The fix is easy- pluggingthe hole with a 1/2" bolt, washers, nut and Permatex. Did it on my other one when I removed that midshaft. But, both primary castings have to come off, which means EVERYthing inside the primaries.

I still have my hi-temp red loctite from the old days, but I think I'll spring for a new tube.

I've been experiencing a faint knock/rattle in the primary and I quizzed Raymand, who told me the compensator sprocket was original, and OEM.

Ha! That sprocket is the ONLY OEM part on this bike... everything else is performance upgrades.

I dropped in on the local Harley dealer to buy a compensator retainer washer and cover. That's the cup that fits over the toothed cam ramps that smooth out the knarly engine pulses with those strong Belleville washers. I suspect mine are shot.

So I hit up the counter man for a new OEM Compensator Retainer Washer Assembly. OEM# 40384-91.

$176. Fr a washer and spring.

I bid the nice feller a good day. Dennis Kirk had them for $40, shipping $11.

Wifey said "hold on!", she of the Amazon Prime card holder. I got the part from one of the zillion vendors on Amazon. $44; free shipping.

Name:	20180122_194719_resized_1[2509].jpg
Size:	477.4 KB
ID:	1231518

Name:	20180122_194802_resized_1[2508].jpg
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	1231519

And so it goes...

Comment

If, twenty some years ago, the MOCO did not push dealers into boutique stores their overheads would not demand such ridicules prices. And their sales would probably have continued to flourish.

I just got an email yesterday, one of the local dealers, Rommel, who owns I believe 6 dealers in the northeast, just sold the local one to Hannons out of Philadelphia. Rommel is a mega company into construction, engineering, etc. HD dealerships were an investment. Apparently the local Rommel was not turning the numbers the head bossman wanted to see and, their gone. Let the next bidder take a shot at it.
                            Mark
                            HERDster #204

Ride On Larry Weaver
                            Wndchsr, catch you in the breeze my friend

Comment

GREAT THREAD, Dave.
                              Ride EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Father Time is undefeated.

Ride in Peace, Ricky "Rubberdown" Massey
                              Ride Forever Free, Larry Weaver
                              See you on the other side, Jeff.

Official HERD Member #00181

Comment

Working...
                              X