No announcement yet.

Getting the bike ready for riding season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't help you with a host for pictures, but I do want to know what happened to the bike
    When it rains, it pours, and the Lord is my umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
      Can't help you with a host for pictures, but I do want to know what happened to the bike
      Apparently, the new deck I installed was a dud. It worked great when I first installed it before I left, all the time I was adjusting the settings, clock, etc and worked fine when I loaded it. But when I unloaded it it in Atlanta, the display wasn't working. The buttons were lit up, but the display was dead. A little while later, I had to run an errand, and it was quiet where I had parked. I could hear a slight static noise coming from the speakers, so I turned up the volume, and the sound was working perfect.

This was a Sony deck (DSX-S310BTX,) with a flip-out internal tray for an ipod/iphone. My ipod was in the deck and that was the last source I had selected when I had loaded the bike, so it was playing one of my playlists. "OK, great", I thought. Later in the day, I fired the bike up again and the display was working fine, and everything seemed to be ok. I figured that maybe the display just had a glitch, or the front face just had a bad connection to the deck... who knows. So on Tuesday, when I got back home, I unloaded the bike and... nothing. Fiddled it with it for a while and still couldn't get it to work. And I really, REALLY wanted it to work, because the sound of this deck was awesome when I installed it just a few days earlier. Not to mention, I really wasn't in the mood to tear into that fairing again. But I had to. While I was doing that, I kept turning the ignition and the deck on, to see if anything was affecting it. Low and behold, sometimes it would come on, so I thought I must have a bad connection in the power or ground circuit. But I was being optimistic, and knew that wouldn't explain why sometimes the buttons lit up and the display screen didn't. Checked the bike fuses, checked the deck fuse, and even checked power to the amp. The amp was never losing power (it's got a power LED on the top of it), so I knew that wasn't the issue, but the first rule of trouble-shooting, is ALWAYS check everything.

So then, I thought that maybe the issue was isolated in the bike harness, so I disconnected the pigtail from the bike, to the deck, and straight jumpered the ground, illumination and power. Still nothing working properly. I bought this deck new sometime last year from Crutchfield, but couldn't immediately remember the exact date, so I called them. And I then found out that they have an awesome tech service department. A tech stayed on the phone for over an hour while I went through all the same tests with him, and confirmed with him what I had already checked. I also went as far as to temp-wire the old deck in while he was on the phone, and it worked perfectly. So I knew the bike's harness wasn't the issue. He never once tried to rush me off the phone, at all. And he was confident that I had everything properly wired, and was competent to do the tests. Really can't say enough about their service guys, impressive. He then confirmed that the deck was out of warranty, because I had originally bought the deck from them back in April of 2016. So he put me on hold, and came back after a few minutes and told me that he got authorization to give me a good discount on a replacement. Cool. Only bad part was, Sony no longer made a deck that had an internal tray for an ipod/iphone. Neither did any other manufacturers. Damn. I really liked that feature.

So I was limited to using Sony, because my Biketronics retro interface would only work with Sony decks. I called Donna at Biketronics, and she confirmed that, and that they could offer me a discount on the new interface units that work with all seven major deck manufacturers. Apparently, not all manufacturer's decks "talk" to the hand controls interface the same, that's why they're different. Now, Biketronics have revised their interfaces, so that they are selectable to the different decks. You get a Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, etc deck, and now all you have to do, is set the Biketronics interface for that specific manufacturer. I really didn't want to spend any more money, so I opted to stay with a Sony deck from Crutchfield. I called them back and ordered an MEX-M71BT, and they gave me a great deal on it with the discount. The new deck came in, and I proceeded to install it. I noticed that the new Sony deck, had a different pigtail configuration than the previous Sony decks, so I called Biketronics back, to confirm that I could reconfigure the new pigtail to mate to my existing Biketronics interface. Despite the difference in Sony's new decks, the same Biketronics interface still works with all versions of Sony's newer decks. Yep, it was that easy, so I was back in business. Got it all wired, reinstalled the deck, amp and brackets, and it worked perfect. Resecured all the bike harness, and installed the outer fairing and windshield. Adjusted the illumination, dimmer, clock, sound settings, etc, and it sounds amazing! All blue button lighting, blue display screen matches my gauges and LED lighting in the gauges, and looks as good as it sounds.

So hopefully, I'm done with removing and disassembling that damn fairing and stereo for a while now. Sorry for the long post, but there was just a lot of details to tell this story. Oh yeah... all that towing the trailer, to only ride a total of eight miles once we got to Atlanta. That storm that came through the south, made tons of rain, and crushed any chances of getting any real riding in. It rained endlessly while we traveled from Dallas to Atlanta, and for a majority of the time we were there. And not just a little shower where and there... buckets of rain, for hours at a time. Damn the luck.

Official HERD Member #00231

"Blue skies hanging over my head, I got five hundred miles to ride" - RVZ

Comment

Wow, what a pain in the butt that turned out to be. I agree with you about disassembling the fairing being a pain to trouble shoot issues. Top it off the storm crushed your riding plans, damn, talk about bad luck
        Joe the One Antlered Moose
        Herd member number 00098
        Back in the breach!

Comment

Wow...that sucks about the radio and the trip. Shoulda towed west and came out to South Dakota. We had some great riding weather. Glad you got it all figured out and I wish you the best of luck with it. Now go out and put some miles on that bad motor scooter.
          A.K.A. Chad
          Official Ear Tag #163
          Official Member Paracord Posse
          2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
          "I talk a lot but don't say much, and I know it..."
          "If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog."

Comment

Originally posted by hockeydawg12 View Post
            Wow...that sucks about the radio and the trip. Shoulda towed west and came out to South Dakota. We had some great riding weather. Glad you got it all figured out and I wish you the best of luck with it. Now go out and put some miles on that bad motor scooter.
            Yeah, I really would like to have. But this was a paying gig, so I kinda had to. Going to Sturgis for the Rally, but that's a paying gig too, so I really can't complain.

Tearing into the fairing wouldn't be so bad, but I've got so much crammed in there, with the bigger speakers, the amp, the Biketronics interface and all the extra wiring, it's just a damn PITA. It's all good now... everything's securely tucked in and has plenty of room for proper movement. That's part of the pain, you can't just shove it in and zip it up like an over-stuffed suitcase. Everything has to be able to flex, but can't just flop around either.

I still need to get a couple good, nighttime pics. That inner fairing looks so good with all blue lights and black gauge faces. That had been bugging me and my OCD for a couple years.

Official HERD Member #00231

"Blue skies hanging over my head, I got five hundred miles to ride" - RVZ

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyGirl65 View Post

Cycle Chat has been gone for some time now, following the great ban-athon. It's a long old story - Big D, Wanna Ride, Bagger Bum could fill in the deets. We were all on there.
              Well, I am glad You all are here now.
              Ear Tag no. 00030
              MMMMOOoo"Official HERD Exalted Prime Example"...
              Do`nt need no stinking hay,We want fresh green spring grass
              If they get close enough kick em in the crotch,MMMOOOOooo
              The missing link
              http://www.shovelhead.us/

Comment

Glad to hear you got it squared away, but sucks you had to tear back into it again.
                When it rains, it pours, and the Lord is my umbrella.

Comment

Working...
                X