Seat Rubbing my gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Rubbing my gas tank

My seat is rubbing the lower edge of my tank and looks to be dulling the finish. Any ideas what I can do to prevent that. I once saw a clear 3M type material that you could stick over a painted surface and it would protect the finish but can't seem to find it. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.
    The hardest part about a Zombie Apocalypse, will be pretending I'm not excited!

Jim, that's just a stick on patch, ain't worth shit in my opinion! See if you can move the tank forward and the seat back, if not do like I do, I keep a heavy coat of wax on the tank and carry a micro cloth with me between the seat and tank! :croc
    OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
    With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
    FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
    RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Yea I seen it sold as drawer liner like peel and stick stuff for your kitchen drawers . Hobby stores may have it. have used it on maps too. It wont last forever but it will save wear on your paint. I use sticky back kraft foam 8x11 sheets on alot of spots under the seat
      You could give a crap but no use to let it get so far it gets to metal and starts a rust.
      THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
      How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

Originally posted by vlade View Post
        Yea I seen it sold as drawer liner like peel and stick stuff for your kitchen drawers . Hobby stores may have it. have used it on maps too. It wont last forever but it will save wear on your paint. I use sticky back kraft foam 8x11 sheets on alot of spots under the seat
        You could give a crap but no use to let it get so far it gets to metal and starts a rust.
        That's what I'm thinking. Even at the seat no one sees it but me. But that's enough to do something to save it from wearing off.

Comment

I guess I'll go inspect mine as well since I upgraded it.
          2010 FLHX - Street Glide
          HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Keep in mind, the clear coating on your tank/fenders is powdercoating, not paint. It's more durable and resistant to friction then paint, although not bulletproof.

If it were mine, I'd cut a small patch of black microfiber (although it will fray) or "Felt" and hotglue it to the underside of the seat, where it's rubbing, to prevent abrasive contact. You can buy felt at any craft store, or fabric store for less then one dollar for a 8x12" piece.

Some leopard skin print felt would be a nice touch.... :)
            **Note: The technical info I provide is suggestive. I am not a perfeshunel.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

I have had a number of Harleys over the years and also been chasing the same problem. I have used tank bra's and assorted leather doo dads however they too cause rubbing and marking. Short of adjusting to alleviate contact you may as well resign yourself to living with short of sticking something on the trailing edge to prevent and that would suck even worse.....
              Chris (Steveston)
              Herd # 93
              Retired Navy Vet

Comment

Originally posted by Dave63 View Post
                Keep in mind, the clear coating on your tank/fenders is powdercoating, not paint. It's more durable and resistant to friction then paint, although not bulletproof.

If it were mine, I'd cut a small patch of black microfiber (although it will fray) or "Felt" and hotglue it to the underside of the seat, where it's rubbing, to prevent abrasive contact. You can buy felt at any craft store, or fabric store for less then one dollar for a 8x12" piece.

Some leopard skin print felt would be a nice touch.... :)
                yea I think Ive seen sticky back felt too.

Comment

Heres the actual product you mentioned
                  http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rotection/Film

Comment

I like the felt idea as a way to really hide it and protect the tank at the same time.

Comment

I'm thinkin that whatever you put there, and it still rubs , it will still dull the finish. The only way to solve the problem is to keep it from rubbing. You can use softer material, but if it still rubs it will still dull the finish, but will only take longer to do it. Harley sells a clear strecthable piece that you can put there. But, then again, it will just rub on it until it is dull too. But, at least it won't rub to bare metal.

Comment

ifn the sticky goes on the tank side or painted side it wont rub is why I do sticky stuff

Comment

Originally posted by vlade View Post
                          ifn the sticky goes on the tank side or painted side it wont rub is why I do sticky stuff
                          Yeah, exactly . I guess what I was saying is, that the sticky stuff gets dull and looks like doo. But, at least your not rubbing into the steel. yikes.

Comment

Aww Hell It'le add character,,an your on your way to a Rat Bike,,
                            Herd #124
                            Age 10 and holding
                            Official Herd Poser

Comment

Working...
                            X