Dyna Beads & Harley Davidson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyna Beads & Harley Davidson

Anyone tried these and if so, what's your opinion?

Dyna Beads dynamically balance tires on the move, resulting in a smoother ride, and one that lasts the life of the tire.

Dyna Beads are small ceramic spheres, high in density and perfectly smooth, that travel inside the tire to locate themselves opposite heavy points to eliminate out-of-balance motion.

The result for your customer is not only a smoother ride, but a better look - Dyna Beads eliminate the need for spoke or stick-on weights applied to those beautiful alloys. They can be used with tubes or tubeless tires, and work for scooters as well.

Dyna Beads are 100% environmentally friendly ceramic, impervious to moisture, and non-abrasive to inner liners and tubes. No special air drying is needed, and Dyna Beads can be installed directly into the tire at mounting time, or after, through the valve stem.
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Ive HERD of it, but how do they know how many beads to put in ?
    Appalachian Redneck

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used and worn out, loudly proclaiming, "WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Comment

:bull

hmmm dunno if I want anything bouncing around in there.... also if it is free to move around wont it go to the place farthest from the hub? wont that be bad?
      MOOOOOOO
      '09 Ultra
      US Navy '76-'82

"Free my mind of life's inconsistencies"

Comment

sounds like dixie got this one...I cant understand the needed weight to start with......it appears one needs to know the weight to add, before it could be successful...
        U.S. Army "Retired"
        (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

I'm not understanding how they work, the centrifical force of the wheel will throw the beads out to the inner cup of the wheel...once centrifical force is achieved, the beads will stay put in that spot until the rotational force changes (slower speed)

seems to me, these beads will just roll around in the tire until their weight is over matched by the outward force of increased rotational speed

did i just repeat myself

an out of balance tire is the result of a flaw in the tire itself(tire is heavier/more rubber in a certain spot), if these beads find an internal flaw in the rubber.........................maybe
          Twenty First Herdster
          * When Its All Said And Done, Will You Have Said More Than You Have Done?
          ** How Old Would You Be If You Didnt Know How Old You Where?
          99 FLSTF
          03 FLHTCI

Comment

These work the same way as balancing powder works for truck tires. I would guess it comes in a pack and you add all of them. I can't exactly explain how they work except for they are reactive to an out of balance situation and can actually be worse of a ride. We use the powder where I work and often times you get front end shimies until the powder settles itself.
            HERD Member #114
            2007 FLHTCU Ultra Classic
            When all else fails, GET A BIGGER HAMMER!
            If common sense was so common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Comment

So....I take it this is not a win-win for bikers since we only have 2 tires and one steers?
              2010 FLHX - Street Glide
              HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

If you watch the video on the Dyna beeds, it shows how the beeds will settle to the bottom (gravity) until the wheel spins and they move into position. This is a clear indication that there's a brief period of time, when the beeds withh all be massed in one location, causing an out-of-balance state.

Once up to a certain speed, centrifugal force causes the beads to move to the alleged locations where needed. Just not sure how this is accomplished, other then the heaviest parts of the tire would have an increased certripetal force, meaning the beeds would react to the opposite.

I've talked to people that have used them. It appears that in reality, you have to be moving at least 30 miles an hour to feel an out-of-balance shimmy, and in most cases, it's in the 40-45 mile an hour range. By then, allegedly, the beeds have all moved into place.

Large trucking companies use them, but the amount of weight you can be off balance on a tractor trailer tire is considerable when compared to a motorcycle tire.

Personally.....I may try them one day. I'm not sold on them, but the idea is scientifically realistic.
                **Note: The technical info I provide is suggestive. I am not a perfeshunel.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

While out riding yesterday, I met a guy that just had it done and he thought it was the best thing..sppecially while turning. For some reason he claimed the tire seems to grip better and the ride was smoother.

I'll wait until there are more out there that have tried it.
                  2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                  HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

How about I use it and report on it? Worst case scenerio, I'll be scrapping 2 inner tubes and having my wheels rebalanced........... :)

Not sure how the "tire had better grip" as the beads only balance the tire, not change it's compound or construction, which is what determines how well a tire grips. Suspension settings are the only other thing affecting that.

It amazes me how people will fall victim to the "Placebo affect" for certain things, because they WANT TO believe that their mod has done good.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

The cost sounds reasonable per ounce...Seems the whole process is cheap! Wonder if that is something anyone can do.
                      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Sure. Simply strip off your old wheel weights, remove the valve stem core, add beeds, replace core, refill with air and ride.

HERD Member #10

Comment

How about determining how many ounces anyone needs?
                          2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                          HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Not sure. I'll research it.

HERD Member #10

Comment

i'd consider it, but i'm gonna do some home work first...the last time i read anything about somebody thowing beads into a hole, it was another website, and i wont be going back there any time soon.....thanks Mo, wherever you are...:)
                              U.S. Army "Retired"
                              (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Working...
                              X