Warming Her Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warming Her Up?

Well guys, my OL isn't exactly fond of motorcycles. She never liked it way back when I had the '73 Ironhead and she was opposed to me buying the Night Train.

I noticed though that there was a lot less resistance when I bought the NT, and she seems to have warmed up to the idea of me being out on it.

My problem is this: She's always said she wouldn't ride with me...Said she's scared of riding. I really would like to get her on there though as I'm seeing she's not terrified of me being on the bike anymore. I'm almost at the point where I'll be able to talk her into riding around the block a couple times to get the feel of it.

I've got kind of a master plan at work here to push her over the edge. She loves this leather jacket that I bought her years ago. It's like a designer jacket that wouldn't be suitable for riding, but her birthday is coming here on November 18th. I think I'm going to get her this:

Pink Label

I know she'd LOVE the jacket, and I can just get it for her with no conditions about riding, but hope for the future.

So what do you think? Will my master plan work? Any of you guys ever have trouble getting your OL on the bike? What did you do to get her riding?

I think you're on the right track. Nice jacket, for a good cause as well, and maybe short rides around the block. I also added a back rest on a sissy bar so that she felt more comfortable and secure while on with me. Good luck
    The hardest part about a Zombie Apocalypse, will be pretending I'm not excited!

Comment

Might be a great incentive.....She will get on for short around the block rides with you when she is ready.
      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Make sure you take her out when it really warm so she don't freeze. Also a backrest will make her more secure. One time and she'll be hooked. Them wimmins can't resist that big rumbling machine!
        "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." Hemingway
        Official HERD Member #00155

Comment

The only problem I have with my wife and me riding is its hard for me to get out and ride without her, she enjoys it as much if not more than I do. She told me the other day she wanted me to buy a new tour pack for the Road King. Did I mention that I love my wife?
          Herd Member #87
          US Navy Veteran

Comment

Times two on the backrest/sissybar/bleach bar or whatever yuh wanna call it,time is on Your side so do`nt rush it.
            Most wimmins that do`nt wanna ride due to a fear factor had the crapola scared out of em by some hotshot that had to show em how fast his muschine would go,maby try n find out if that ever happened to Her and if so send Her over to HotYoga,the "HERD Counselor"fer a few sessions then She be OK.
            Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

I'm lucky, my OL likes riding and I like her as a passenger.

If she is scared, be careful. IMO, nothing worse than a passenger sitting up straight or leaning the other way in a corner 'cus she is scared or worried. If the jacket gets her on the back, may I suggest some back roads with some nice easy corners and little traffic. I asked my wife to keep her body behind mine at all times, and she has turned out to be a great passenger.

I really enjoy the rides with the boys, and she understands that, but I find there is something special about touring with the love of my life on the back of the other love of my life.
              Last edited by Glyde; 11-11-2010, 09:26 AM.
              There is a special place in our hearts... Carved out for our memories
              R.I.P. RubberDown
              R.I.P. James "Jimbo"
              Reese

Comment

:good

Originally posted by Glyde View Post
                I really enjoy the rides with the boys, and she understands that, but I find there is something special about touring with the love of my life on the back of the other love of my life.
                Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

I've got a sissy bar with the quick-detach hardware. I've also got a touring seat that's a lot more cushy for her tushy.

Comment

Hell, other than commuting, I can't hardly get the bikes outta the garage without Sooze riding with me.

Hobo - dunno if your wife is someone who always needs to be doing something, but one thing that Sooze does to entertain herself is she takes pictures. Lots of pictures. She rides with a point & shoot camera on a lanyard around her neck and takes lots of pictures when we ride, especially when we tour. Which is nice for me, because I can focus on the task at hand and then when I look at her pictures later, I can say, "What / where the hell was that?!?" She sees things that I don't.

Also, do you know other couples that ride? Perhaps the comeraderie of riding with another couple or other couples could be an enticement for her.
                    Official HERD Member #00143

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BikerGeek View Post
                      Also, do you know other couples that ride? Perhaps the comeraderie of riding with another couple or other couples could be an enticement for her.
                      I think that's the thing I'm missing. If I had a friend that rode with an OL that she was friends with, I know she'd jump right on...cautiously...but right on just the same. I'm still new to the area a little bit, but I'm gradually meeting people.

Comment

She would probably feel safer riding in a pack.
                        2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                        HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
                          She would probably feel safer riding in a pack.
                          Agreed, and with the right gear...(backrest etc.) she will feel safe, and that will help her relax about the issue....

She'll get on, otherwise, the "HERD" will git 'er...LOL !!!

Good luck.........g
                          U.S. Army "Retired"
                          (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

My wife does not want to ride and while I'd like her to be on the back, I'm not pushing it at all. There's an open invitation and I'll hint a few times but she doesn't want to ride (I have no idea why). When we were dating she would ride with me, even has the scar on her leg to prove it but once we were married she told me "when we were dating I wanted you to think I liked it because I liked you but I really don't like motorcycles." She did "allow" me to get my bike and I love her for that but I'm not going to do anything to make her change her mind. My riding buddy (and good friend) has a wife that rides with him all the time and my wife is friends with her also but she still doesn't want to ride. In all honesty if she really wanted to ride with me I'd probably have to either upgrade or add a bagger to my family so we could ride comfortably.
                            x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
                            HERD member #66
                            HS I Survivor
                            HS II Survivor
                            HS III Survivor
                            HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

Comment

I used the jacket trick, Hobo, and it worked with me.
                              valve... check_valve... HERD #007
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              God Bless U.S. Troops
                              __________________________________________________ ___
                              => Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul <=

Comment

Working...
                              X