I take it all back....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I take it all back....

I need to share this with u sporty guys....After riding my king for about a year and a half i often wondered what the obsession was about sportys. After riding the 48 2 times that my wife won i nicknamed it "basterd child" cause it rides rough and its a bit uncomfortable. The guys at work were buggin me to ride it in so i did just that this morning. 40 degrees this morning so i put on the full face, fleece around my neck, chaps, and leather jacket and off i went. It's all back roads so besides the chill in the air it wasn't a bad ride in, especially after taking my favorite corner slightly faster than i can on the king. After work i just took it out and rode the heck out of it and all BS aside this thing is a blast to ride!! Corners great and geared alot different than the king. A good little bang around town bike and it looks like my options on which bike to take to work have just doubled!! BTW the wife loves the nickname i gave her bike so it looks like its gonna stick!!
    "09" King & "10" Forty-Eight(wifes)
    If u ain't ridin u ain't livin!!

Welcome to the Sporty side!
    Expectations managed for free

Comment

This is exactly why that when I am able to get a bigger bike I'm not so sure I want to trade in the sportster. They are what they are, great for short trips to and from work or even a longer day trip. BTW the more you stay on the back roads the more you will enjoy it, the highway just isn't as fun on a sportster!
      Last edited by Dan; 11-09-2010, 08:29 PM.
      HERD Member #114
      2007 FLHTCU Ultra Classic
      When all else fails, GET A BIGGER HAMMER!
      If common sense was so common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Comment

I'll bet it does handle a little different. Probably what, 250 pounds lighter.
        The hardest part about a Zombie Apocalypse, will be pretending I'm not excited!

Comment

Makes sense to me Jason , when I move up I'm gonna keep my FXR also.
          2018 Road Glide
          Member #00014

Comment

Yea i have the best of both worlds now!! I have a new seat for the 48 comin in the next few days and that'll help the comfort alot!!
            "09" King & "10" Forty-Eight(wifes)
            If u ain't ridin u ain't livin!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rdking09 View Post
              Yea i have the best of both worlds now!! I have a new seat for the 48 comin in the next few days and that'll help the comfort alot!!
              Not so sure the wife would agree that YOU have the best of both worlds but at least she might let ya ride it once in a while.
              HERD Member #114
              2007 FLHTCU Ultra Classic
              When all else fails, GET A BIGGER HAMMER!
              If common sense was so common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Comment

The sporty is the ideal urban warrior. Four inches shorter than a Dyna and within about 100 lbs.

It takes a bit more rider interaction all the time to control properly, so can be somewhat more tiring on a long haul... 'specially on the interstate, but I don't live on the interstate, I live in the city.

And never forget the old adage... "Sportsters... leavin' BTs at the stoplight for 50 years."

Welcome RD!
                Official Herd Dumbass
                (Ask anybody)

MONK
                Crocified '07 XL1200C
                Herd #34

Comment

i traded my sporty in for a vrod and even though i dearly loved that bike i don't miss it like i do my 05 sporty.
                  Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

Sportster's Rule!!!:croc
                    OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
                    With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
                    FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
                    RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Yep

I came off a Goldwing,,,long time ago,,long time,,,
                      I like the fact that the Sporty Is "Portly", Kinda heavy for It's size an
                      Dimm's.
                      The thing Is quick!
                      You'd be surprised at the Number of Sportbikes that struggle to keep
                      up with me In the Twisties.
                      An experienced sportbike rider can walk away from me In a corner,
                      Mostly due to the Sportsters heft and lesser corner clearance.

As for Light To Light Drags,,,Only sportbike riders that can whup me
                      Is the ones who got some balls.
                      If they know how to get up the tach and keep It there they can beat me.
                      Most don't.
                      I'm good on one tank out trips,,after that, the way back I take a few
                      breaks.
                      I do love It when a Big Harley with stage one or more tries to get
                      away from me,,they get up to say 60 mph an start lookin in the mirrors
                      for me,,then they see me in the next lane right beside them.
                      I had a Big boy on a Dresser try an pull away from me at 75mph,,
                      I danced,,,was way out front at 90mph, never shifted a gear, was In 5th
                      I won't go for top end. 103 Is my top speed, so If a big bike want's to
                      take It farther,,,he wins.

If I had the time to tour more than once a year I'd have a RK,
                      I don't,,and If I did,,I'd keep the sporty

2008 XL1200R,, R for Roadster XD
                      Herd #124
                      Age 10 and holding
                      Official Herd Poser

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                        The sporty is the ideal urban warrior. Four inches shorter than a Dyna and within about 100 lbs.

It takes a bit more rider interaction all the time to control properly, so can be somewhat more tiring on a long haul... 'specially on the interstate, but I don't live on the interstate, I live in the city.

And never forget the old adage... "Sportsters... leavin' BTs at the stoplight for 50 years."

Welcome RD!
                        agreed.............g
                        U.S. Army "Retired"
                        (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Originally posted by Rdking09 View Post
                          Jason, You are such a LUCKY fugger! (insert multi-bike envy here)
                          I rode this AM, it wuz beautiful!

:95:95:95
                          Bill
                          Official HERD Member #0153
                          Electra Glide Classic Touring 95th Anniversary #153/1000
                          Charter Member-American Legion Riders Post #26 PA
                          "You can NEVER have too much chrome!"

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

Comment

Damn, another one figgured it out.

I have ridden big ones and small ones ( Bikes, not Girlfriends , well maybe that too.) and I have too much fun riding Sportsters to ever stop.

Crazy Ed
                            08 FLSTC - cus we likes to ride! HERD#146 - Thanks Classy! USN - Retired
                            When I wear an "Old Navy" shirt, it is not a fashion statement, it is just a statement.
                            Looking at life from the back of the HERD....All I see is...well, you know! :)

Comment

Glad you have an alternative to ride!
                              2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                              HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Working...
                              X