Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What air cleaner should I get for the sporty? And will I need to jet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What air cleaner should I get for the sporty? And will I need to jet?

so the bike came with a k&n stage 1 kit i belive, it has the filter, and that k&n velocity stack ring and all that. all fits under the stock cover.

im thinking either the screaming eagle heavy breather in black, i love these, but i have the same filter only chrome on my dyna. or maybe the screaming eagle stage 1 kit that i can run exposed with any circle air cleaner cover out there.

i dont know, you guys got any opinions or recomendations? i dont wanna spend more than $260 or so...

how would i tell if the bike was already jetted? it came with this k&n filter and drag pipes with torque cones. i got rid of the drag pipes and got stock pipes with SE slip ons. runs good as is, but i want a different (smaller) air intake.

I would change the filter, put in some new plugs and take a nice long ride on a preferably 75 degree day.
    (Not a necessity for 75 degrees, but I use that for a bench mark for tuning jets).
    Do a plug check and jet from there.

Drag-on Ed
    08 FLSTC - cus we likes to ride! HERD#146 - Thanks Classy! USN - Retired
    When I wear an "Old Navy" shirt, it is not a fashion statement, it is just a statement.
    Looking at life from the back of the HERD....All I see is...well, you know! :)

Comment

nothing wrong with that K&N Eric, unless you hate the look.....IMHO

I've had mine for about a year now, and I love it......g

Jet at 75 degrees as mentioned above, with a warm motor...

stock 883 is 42 pilot, 175 main....If you have a different number, it's been changed....
      U.S. Army "Retired"
      (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

actually the stock ham can and the forward controls are very uncomfortable, i need some thing slimmer or smaller. i decided on the arlen ness big sucker that uses any harley air cleaner insert as the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric The Welder View Post
          actually the stock ham can and the forward controls are very uncomfortable, i need some thing slimmer or smaller. i decided on the arlen ness big sucker that uses any harley air cleaner insert as the cover.

A great choice Eric.....and just for giggles, how much would you take for that stock ham can ?

I may need one for some mods I'm planning...backing plate included......g
          U.S. Army "Retired"
          (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

it turned out good, i dont think ill ned to jet as the filter i took off was the screamin eagle stage 1 kit, the big sucker should be about the same.

as far as selling the stock ham can, all i have is the cover itself, i sold the se kit already.

Comment

it turned out good, i dont think ill ned to jet as the filter i took off was the screamin eagle stage 1 kit, the big sucker should be about the same.

as far as selling the stock ham can, all i have is the cover itself, i sold the se kit already.
              Ah....no worries Brother.......I'm glad you got it done.....I'll bet it looks kick aazz !!
              U.S. Army "Retired"
              (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

I still don't see the need,,
                Other than for looks,,
                The box stock filter can be tossed In the dishwasher,,when the OL is away,,
                Those K&N's an all that oil work,,,too little engine is screwed,,,too much and Injectors is screwed,,plus the mess
                From what I've read,,the hp diff is minimal,, Mufflers do more,,
                But then again If I had a carb and could re-jet I'd prolly go for Big Air,,
                It's just so much money with EFI.
                A proper stage one for me,,,$1,000 No way Not this boy.

I really like the EFI,,But I see the drawback now.
                Herd #124
                Age 10 and holding
                Official Herd Poser

Comment

Originally posted by Osco* View Post
                  I still don't see the need,,
                  Other than for looks,,
                  The box stock filter can be tossed In the dishwasher,,when the OL is away,,
                  Those K&N's an all that oil work,,,too little engine is screwed,,,too much and Injectors is screwed,,plus the mess
                  From what I've read,,the hp diff is minimal,, Mufflers do more,,
                  But then again If I had a carb and could re-jet I'd prolly go for Big Air,,
                  It's just so much money with EFI.
                  A proper stage one for me,,,$1,000 No way Not this boy.

I really like the EFI,,But I see the drawback now.
                  just cause you heard it doesnt mean its true..efi bikes put out more power and work perfect all the time..i wouldnt go back to a carb'd bike ever..
                  id go big sucker 2 and a good set of pipes..
                  09 Softail Springer FLSTFBT "AKA" Heritage Fatbones Touring
                  www.youtube.com/user/bcvtwin?feature=mhee

herd #148

Comment

I clean my K&N once a year, and it takes 30 minutes tops...A small price to pay for a damn good filter......It's twice what that stock crap was...IMHO
                    U.S. Army "Retired"
                    (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Originally posted by gruss View Post
                      I clean my K&N once a year, and it takes 30 minutes tops...A small price to pay for a damn good filter......It's twice what that stock crap was...IMHO
                      I believe ya BUT,,,My stock filter got kinda dirty,,,bout half dirty with what looked like some clean area's at about 3,900 miles,,
                      Cleaned It,,,could feel the difference.
                      Had good luck with K&N In my truck,,no performance gain to speak of,,when It started getting dirty fuel mileage went to hell,,fast.
                      To clean and dry and re-oil per destructions,,,about 4 hours.
                      Damn thang failed right at 300,000 miles,,,Imagine that,,warranty was for that.
                      The cleaning kits once a year cost the same as one regular filter a year,,I would have used two per year.
                      I drive about 75,000 miles a year,,had to clean the K&N three times a year to keep the MPG's up.
                      Herd #124
                      Age 10 and holding
                      Official Herd Poser

Comment

i went with the big sucker, my only reason for changing is pretty much for looks, and the giant ham can was uncomfortable.

made my self a custom cover too.

Comment

i went with the big sucker, my only reason for changing is pretty much for looks, and the giant ham can was uncomfortable.

made my self a custom cover too.

Thaats a nice lookin cover,In My opinion anyhowz.
                          Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

I'll admit that IMO The Ham can covers way too much engine,,
                            Herd #124
                            Age 10 and holding
                            Official Herd Poser

Comment

Originally posted by gruss View Post
                              30 minutes ??
                              Took mine hours to dry so I could Oil it.......
                              I don't unnerstand?????????
                              Herd #124
                              Age 10 and holding
                              Official Herd Poser

Comment

Working...
                              X