Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy Crap.....another freakin' Leak!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Crap.....another freakin' Leak!!!!!!

Well, I went riding yesterday, and stopped by the dealer and picked up a chrome coil cover. I've been checking everytime I park to look for any leaks under the bike and havn't seen a one. I installed the cover,
    and started the bike up to make sure everything was good to go. I went inside and when I came back out...........a nice half dollar size
    spot of oil on the ground, in the same approximate spot as it was leaving before. I looked underneath and saw a few spots on the
    frame of drips getting ready to fall.
    I called the dealer even though it was after 5 o'clock and they said to bring it out. They pulled it in back and said they thought it might just be that it wasn't cleaned off before after the starter and o-ring repair.
    They cleaned it off, and started and stopped it a few times, and finally
    think they found where it was leaking................Transmission output
    shaft!!!! I'm really getting pissed. I still only have 620 miles on it,
    and now it's going to have to go back in and have it all dissasembled again.
    I told them I wasn't leaving it, it's going to be another 75-80 degree weekend just like last weekend that I missed because it was out there being repaired. I told them I'd bring it in Monday.

Is there any recourse??? They have no problem with repairing it under warranty, but I'm starting to feel like this fugger is a Lemon.
    It's pissing me off that I paid over 16,000 dollars for this bike and it's
    giving me all these problems even before the first service. I havn't talked to anyone up front about it, but I'm feeling like I made a Big Mistake.
    Regards Sonny
    2007 FLHX Street Glide HERD #35
    Route 66 "The Mother Road" Thank You Cyrus Avery!

I would'nt sweat the small stuff. In the early 80's a buddy of mine bought a brand new Wide Glide shovelhead. On the way home the thing started pouring oil out of two of the lifter blocks. I'm saying pouring not leaking! He turned around and went back to the dealer and they ended up keeping it for two weeks. Man was he bummed!
    Herd member #85

sigpic

Comment

unfortunately it'll have to be a whole hell of a lot worse to be considered a lemon, i hope it doesn't come to that. you know its only had the one leak, they just didn't find it til now. if that is the leak indeed. good luck, just be aware its leaking and ride safe
      Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

Sonny sorry to hear but if it makes ya feel any better i've had 4 leaks so far on my king. The way i look at it is let it happen while its under warranty and not after. Yea it irritates me but its not like my dealer is bein a jackhole about it, they take it and fix it with no questions asked. As for recourse, you'll just be wastin ur time and nerves. Good luck, hang in there, and get a damn loaner!!
        "09" King & "10" Forty-Eight(wifes)
        If u ain't ridin u ain't livin!!

Comment

check this info out....keep your receipts.

http://kansaslemonlaw.org/

Comment

Thanks guys. Well I just got back from a 150 mile ride today. Left oil spots everywhere I Parked, but screw it, I'm riding it. They told me to watch the tranny oil level, hell, I'm not
            even doing that. If it runs dry and burns up, too bad as far as I'm concerned. It's really not leaking that much, a couple of nickel sized spots everytime I park. Rode home last night
            from the dealer. Before I could get it into the garage, it leaked a little finger nail sized spot. I pulled it into the garage, and put a new piece of cardboard under it......sitting all night
            it didn't leak a drop. I've got the rest of the day to ride, and it's supposed to be nice tomorrow. I'm going to rack up the miles untill Monday. I've now got 800 miles on it, going to try
            and get as close to 1000 by Monday so at least I can have the 1000 mile service done and kill two birds with one stone.
            Thanks for the support eveyrone.
            Regards Sonny

Comment

I'm sorry to hear the bad news on these bike leaks...I think HD needs to check the quality of these engines.....In this day and age, a leak on a brand new machine averaging 20K, it "not" considered normal...IMHO

I would be all over the dealer on these issues, and if they cant do the repair to your expectations, find a new dealer, and if after 3 attempts in 6 months, it may qualify for the lemon law...At least it would here in Utah...

I'm sorry, but if I dropped 20k on a new bike, the damn thing better not leak...I mean C'mon, I bought a 2005 sporty with 7k miles on it, and it was dry as a bone !!.........g
              Last edited by gruss; 10-18-2010, 07:07 AM.
              U.S. Army "Retired"
              (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Just growin' pains, bro. It'll settle in soon!
                Official Herd Dumbass
                (Ask anybody)

MONK
                Crocified '07 XL1200C
                Herd #34

Comment

Check all them fasteners on the right side of the tranny and clutch cover if they loose thats yur leak and you cant tighten most of em with a regular set screw wrench and get the other couple with a sawed off one
                  THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
                  How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

Originally posted by gruss View Post
                    I'm sorry to hear the bad news on these bike leaks...I think HD needs to check the quality of these engines.....In this day and age, a leak on a brand new machine averaging 20K, it "not" considered normal...IMHO

I would be all over the dealer on these issues, and if they can do the repair to your expectations, find a new dealer, and if after 3 attempts in 6 months, it may qualify for the lemon law...At least it would here in Utah...

I'm sorry, but if I dropped 20k on a new bike, the damn thing better not leak...I mean C'mon, I bought a 2005 sporty with 7k miles on it, and it was dry as a bone !!.........g

Sporties is way less problem an proven out of their defficiencies
                    THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
                    How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

Thanks guys, gruss, you ain't wrong!!!!! It's even more depressing in that it was made right here in Kansas City!!!!!!! I've had quite a few new motorcycles in the past and this is the
                      first one that has been so much of a pain. It's also the most money I've ever spent on a motorcycel. Heck, it's just barely less expensive then the most expensive car I've ever bought.
                      It's getting embarrassing with all the leaking. Even more so when I have to get a ride home from the dealer again and explain to another motorcycle person that isn't a Harley rider that, "yeah
                      it's got another problem". He's already been there for the first one, and now I have to bother him again to drive another 80 miles picking me up, and then taking me back again.
                      My Sporty was flawless with no leaks even when I traded her in with 21000 miles on her.........I'm beginning to really to regret that trade. Any more problems of this nature, and this one is going
                      Bye bye!!!, if I take a loss or not. It's just unaceptable.
                      Regards Sonny

Comment

Originally posted by gruss View Post
                        It's just luck of the draw gruss!! Heinsite(sp?)is always 20/20. It seems that every bagger owner that i run into while waitin on my bike's leaks to be fixed never has a problem with theirs and they act surprised when i tell em all the problems i've had. It's very frustrating but there are lemons in cars, trucks, suv's and unfrigginfortunately bikes too!! This is the first brand new anything i've ever bought and probably the last!! :smoke....hey frank we need a po'ed smiley!
                        "09" King & "10" Forty-Eight(wifes)
                        If u ain't ridin u ain't livin!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyd View Post
                          Well, I went riding yesterday, and stopped by the dealer and picked up a chrome coil cover. I've been checking everytime I park to look for any leaks under the bike and havn't seen a one. I installed the cover,
                          and started the bike up to make sure everything was good to go. I went inside and when I came back out...........a nice half dollar size
                          spot of oil on the ground, in the same approximate spot as it was leaving before. I looked underneath and saw a few spots on the
                          frame of drips getting ready to fall.
                          I called the dealer even though it was after 5 o'clock and they said to bring it out. They pulled it in back and said they thought it might just be that it wasn't cleaned off before after the starter and o-ring repair.
                          They cleaned it off, and started and stopped it a few times, and finally
                          think they found where it was leaking................Transmission output
                          shaft!!!! I'm really getting pissed. I still only have 620 miles on it,
                          and now it's going to have to go back in and have it all dissasembled again.
                          I told them I wasn't leaving it, it's going to be another 75-80 degree weekend just like last weekend that I missed because it was out there being repaired. I told them I'd bring it in Monday.

Is there any recourse??? They have no problem with repairing it under warranty, but I'm starting to feel like this fugger is a Lemon.
                          It's pissing me off that I paid over 16,000 dollars for this bike and it's
                          giving me all these problems even before the first service. I havn't talked to anyone up front about it, but I'm feeling like I made a Big Mistake.
                          Regards Sonny
                          Dam Sonny, I thought I was the only one with problems like this! Hope they fix her this time for good!!!
                          OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
                          With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
                          FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
                          RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Thanks Jason, Thanks Croc.
                            Regards Sonny

Comment

Sonny, I dont think I would get too worked up over it. The dealer seems to be working to get it repaired and once they get it fixed right you'll nothing to worry about but racking up miles.
                              Herd Member #87
                              US Navy Veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X