Inspection day, ugh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspection day, ugh!

Well took bike in for state inspection today and holy chit! I knew the rear tire wasn't gonna pass so that was already part of what I was having done, but the mechanic comes out and says "you need a front tire as well for inspection". I'm like what, the tire on there barely has 5000 miles on it. Well turns out the side walls dry rotted, which is the same reason I had it replaced before.

Anyway after a little poking of the service department on whether the tire had any warranty or not, it turns out I was covered for the tire. Just out the labor for installation.

I have to say, the people at the dealership are great! They went the extra steps and they weren't the dealership I had the other tire put on at.
    HERD Member #114
    2007 FLHTCU Ultra Classic
    When all else fails, GET A BIGGER HAMMER!
    If common sense was so common, wouldn't everyone have it?

I had my annual done on Wednesday (before the rains came) & I must say that I was concerned about my front tire also. It went through, but before they started, I informed the tech that I noticed some cracking between the tread ribs on the front tire also. I really thought that he was gonna fail it, but to my surprise it passed this year. It is only 3 years old and has 4/32" tread remaining. The bike is usually parked in the garage or in the shade at work. Moral of the story is two fold:
    1) Tires aren't made like the used to be.
    2) Global warming IS real!
    Sucks for us, tires are not cheap & don't last for SH*T these days. At least they stick to the pavement!
    Glad your were able to at least get the tire covered. What brand was it?
    Bill
    Official HERD Member #0153
    Electra Glide Classic Touring 95th Anniversary #153/1000
    Charter Member-American Legion Riders Post #26 PA
    "You can NEVER have too much chrome!"

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

Comment

It's the same brand that was on the bike when I got it a Dunlop. The only reason I got the tire was because the date code on it was a recent code and I'm guessing it shouldn't have dry rotted.
      HERD Member #114

Comment

autually i've noticed most tires that are bought today were on a shelf for a year or two before you got them. theres a mark on the tires that tells which year they were made but i don't remember what it is now.
        Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

The date code is the last 4 digits of the DOT#. The first two digits are what week it was produced and the last two are the year so a tire made today would be 4110.
          Official HERD Member #00144
          Sponsored by: Rainrider

Comment

The end of the DOT code is the production date for the tire the first 2 are the week and the last 2 are for the year.
            IE: 0809= 08th week (February) 09=2009

Sorry, bricks beat me to it..........before I put up the post.
            Last edited by WAMMER; 10-15-2010, 11:59 AM.
            Bill

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

Comment

If a tire is sitting on a shelf out of the sunlight it shouldn;t hurt it at all for many many years...it is the uv rays that make it rot.

Thats what I have been told....I have some car tires that have been sitting in the basement for 12 years, looked at them a while ago and they are perfect.

So maybe its where you park the bike??? Same thing happening twice seems a bit of a coincidence!
              Official "Herd Booze taste tester!"

Member #0006 :babe

"Lead paint chips are chewy AND sweet......" In memory of Rick.

Comment

Well now it needs a horn! Bah, they is takin me to the cleaners today! I hate inspection day!
                HERD Member #114

Comment

Glad we don't have that...I be up the creek!
                  Official "Herd Booze taste tester!"

Member #0006 :babe

"Lead paint chips are chewy AND sweet......" In memory of Rick.

Comment

Thank God Indiana is a NON-inspection state
                    Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Glad I aint gotta put up with the state inspections BS either.
                      Herd Member #87
                      US Navy Veteran

Comment

My inspection is a few months out of date.... I guess I should get around to that..........
                        "Lead paint chips are chewy AND sweet......"

"Double secret agent 00019......"

"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I want in." H. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Well now it needs a horn! Bah, they is takin me to the cleaners today! I hate inspection day!
                          I got one of dem wit a squeeze ball on the end ya could use fer a while ifin' ya want to.
                          Bill

Comment

I with IH........inspections suck, suck an other way to cost us money!!! Florida has NO INSPECTIONS!!!!
                            OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
                            With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
                            FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
                            RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Yeah, I'm glad most of ohio doesn't!
                              Official HERD Member #00144
                              Sponsored by: Rainrider

Comment

Working...
                              X