Sporty fork disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporty fork disassembly

Is breaking down the forks something i could do? Or am i better off paying a guy $100 to do it?

I just wanna get the lowers powder coated. But i gotta strip em all down first.

you can do it, but it's not fun
    Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
      you can do it, but it's not fun
      Agreed....

Some skill, and a few special treatments to the parts are needed Eric, but it's certainly something you can do yourself....If, you have a service manual....(grin)

Why do I keep coming back to that manual part ??

The book will tell you step by step, and how to avoid damage to the inner tubes as you dis-assemble, and re-fit the tube seals and bushings....

I did Motocross seals and bushings for years, and I wont lie, I buggered up a few inner tubes by not using a manual.....G
      U.S. Army "Retired"
      (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Is there a step by step or anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric The Welder View Post
          Is there a step by step or anything?
          Yep, service manual......
          U.S. Army "Retired"
          (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Eric, we can walk you through it easy enough...I didnt mean to sound like I dont want to help.....I just know how valuable a manual is.

Make sure the front of the bike is off the ground, stable, and you have at least 6 inches of space under the front tire..

(1) remove top caps from each fork ( danger ) !!!! these babies will fly at ya, and kill you unless you have hold of them !! Leave the forks in the bike for this, and drop the handle bars down and out of the way..

(2) remove the springs from the inner fork tubes, to include all spacers, washers etc. then remove the forks from the bike one at a time, and you can turn them upside down to drain the oil out. ( make sure nothing falls into the bucket, or you get to go oil swimming )

(3) once the forks are drained (overnight) you'll need to remove the bolt in the bottom of the fork tube. This holds the damping rod in place, and prevents the inner tube from coming out of the outer tube. do both sides, and pad your bench vise to hold the lower. Point the fork on a slight "up" angle so the damping rod will stay inside. It will also help to use an impact wrench if possible, as these bolts will likely need the "shock" of the wrench to break them loose.
            Leave the damping rod inside of the inner tube, until you get the tubes separated..

(DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PULL THE FORKS APART YET !!)

(4) remove the fork seal caps

(5) remove fork seal retainer ring from the inner edge of the fork tube..

(6) this is the tricky part Eric, and the point where most people screw up a good fork inner, and outer bushing, as well as the inner tube surface.

You will need to remove the dust seal from the outer tube, as well as the oil seal. You can use any number of tools to do this, but take care not to damage the tube by scratching it, or hitting it with a hammer etc..(Wrap blue painters tape around the tube if you have any doubts) If you plan to replace the bushings on the inner and outer fork portions, you can simply expand the inner fork tube inside of the outer tube, and the two will separate, bringing the oil seal with it. ( I DO NOT ADVISE USING THIS METHOD !!!)

But if you want to save the bushings, you'll need to remove the seal from the outer tube first, to allow the inner tube and bushings to pass the outer tube, and come apart. ( I ADVISE THIS METHOD !!!)

(7) once your inner and outer tubes are separated, turn the inner section upside down, and dump out the damping rod. Be sure to catch it before it hits the floor. set this item with the rest of the parts, and remember to keep your parts straight for the LEFT/RIGHT re-assembly.

(8) powder coat prep your lower forks.

Then we can talk about how to put them back together..

Eric, I offer this advice from memory, and strongly advise you to get the proper service manual for your sporty. I'm "not" an expert in working on forks, and offer this info as a basic " how to" based on my own methods. I obviously cant guarantee that this advice is entirely accurate...Perform work at your own risk.....G
            Last edited by gruss; 10-11-2010, 05:05 PM.
            U.S. Army "Retired"
            (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

maybe ill just wrinkle black the lowers. lot cheaper. and less work for my lazy ass

Comment

maybe ill just wrinkle black the lowers. lot cheaper. and less work for my lazy ass
                Not a bad idea Eric, and unless the forks are leaking etc. I would probably do that myself, as it does take a fair amount of time, and attention to detail to prevent damage. I re-built mine a few months back when doing the race-tech suspension mods. It went well, and If you should change your mind and decide to tear them down, PM me, and we can get it done...

But I would advise that you at least change the oil in the forks, if you have not done so already...G
                U.S. Army "Retired"
                (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Disassembling fork is very easy once you get the first one done. I can't tell you how many I've done. I say take them apart and powder coat the things. I have pictures of my SG and the spring compressor I made if you want to see them.
                  Whatever doesn't kill me....HAD BETTER START RUNNING!

Official HERD Member #00130

Comment

Is breaking down the forks something i could do? Or am i better off paying a guy $100 to do it?

I just wanna get the lowers powder coated. But i gotta strip em all down first.
                    its not hard and no special tools are required ..i didnt use a compressor just elbow grease did my nightster and my buddies rocker c
                    just used breaker bar on end with socket and it wasnt very hard at all
                    even a chick did it without a compressor

heres a link to that other site zena did exactly what i did she even posted a pic
                    http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ead.php?t=4190
                    Last edited by colonelangus; 10-12-2010, 01:54 AM.
                    09 Softail Springer FLSTFBT "AKA" Heritage Fatbones Touring
                    www.youtube.com/user/bcvtwin?feature=mhee

herd #148

Comment

Sure you can do it by hand on a Sporty with lowered springs but can it be done with standard length springs? I know you have to really really put some ass in it with full length bagger springs.
                      Whatever doesn't kill me....HAD BETTER START RUNNING!

Official HERD Member #00130

Comment

mine have 3 inches of spacer sticking up before capping them....I used all my weight to get them threaded down....I love a good mod on forks....
                        U.S. Army "Retired"
                        (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

crap with my shorter springs, when the bike is in the air the spacer dont even touch the fork caps. i got about 1" of space in there.

Comment

Originally posted by CLL375 View Post
                            Sure you can do it by hand on a Sporty with lowered springs but can it be done with standard length springs? I know you have to really really put some ass in it with full length bagger springs.
                            yup

mine were not lowering springs just progressive drop ins with 3 inch pvc spacer on top
                            09 Softail Springer FLSTFBT "AKA" Heritage Fatbones Touring
                            www.youtube.com/user/bcvtwin?feature=mhee

herd #148

Comment

Working...
                            X