• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, DAMN

Started out as a good Birthday. I've been noticing a few oil spots
    under the bike since about the first day I brought it home. Looked
    like it was comming out of the breather tube, so I figured it was just
    a little full. Well, the spot kept getting a little bigger untill it developed into 2 spots??? Both about quarter size and about 5" apart right in
    a row. Then I noticed they were getting a little bigger. I figured I'd wait untill I got the 1000 miles on it for the first service. I'm sitting on about 500 right now.
    I decided after having my Birthday lunch I'd ride to the dealer since it was so nice, and the predictions of 80 degrees all weekend. After
    about a hour they got a chance to check it out..........The only tech I really trust and a guy I've known for 35 years and whose been a Harley tech for almost 30 told me it was an oil seal where the starter mounts. He said it happens about 1 in 1000 bikes. He asked me if it had been lazy about starting. In fact it has, there's been a few times after riding where it's turned over slow, and it's gotten worse. He told me the starter was probably now full of oil and contaminated. The good news, of course Warranty will cover all of it, the bad news..........No starter anywhere in town. They won't have one untill Monday. So now I get to miss what will probably be the last really nice 80 degree days to ride for the year.
    Just my luck, first new bike in 23 years and I get this one.....
    Oh well. Hopefully this is not going to be a prelude to what this bike is going to be.
    Since the leak is right in front of the rear wheel, he was concerned about me riding it and having a problem with oil on the rear tire, or have it not start out on a ride. I agreed, I don't want dripping on my Garage floor or drive anyway, and definitely don't want to go down in a crash.
    Guess I'll get some work done around the house this weekend, LOL
    Regards Sonny
    Last edited by sonnyd; 10-07-2010, 07:58 PM.
    2007 FLHX Street Glide HERD #35
    Route 66 "The Mother Road" Thank You Cyrus Avery!

Fug the rear tire...what about the brakes?

One question Sonny, an oil seal on the starter? Where? I know that's two questions.
    OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
    With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
    FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
    RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Croc, I think he was talking about the O ring on the nose of the starter that seals it to the inner primary. It doesn't seem to be a huge problem from what I've read,
      but just a sporadic problem. that sometimes rears it's head
      Regards Sonny

Comment

Hey man that sucks,hope they can get you fixed up and running soon.
        2018 Road Glide
        Member #00014

Comment

Never seems you can be the 1 in 1000 that wins the car or hits the jackpot..........................sorry about the luck.
          There is a special place in our hearts... Carved out for our memories
          R.I.P. RubberDown
          R.I.P. James "Jimbo"
          Reese

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm not upset, but I sure am bummed!
            Regards Sonny

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyd View Post
              Croc, I think he was talking about the O ring on the nose of the starter that seals it to the inner primary. It doesn't seem to be a huge problem from what I've read,
              but just a sporadic problem. that sometimes rears it's head
              Regards Sonny

There is no seal any more, (lipped, pressed in, spring assisted seal) since 2006 when the inner primaries were redesigned. It's now an O-ring. It must have gotten pinched when the starter was installed at HD.

Thre's no O-ring any more either, where the inner primary housing attaches to the engine case, as it's been replaced with a gasket.
              Last edited by Dave63; 10-08-2010, 07:35 AM.
              **Note: The technical info I provide is suggestive. I am not a perfeshunel.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

Leak..? Croc can fix it.
                :cool
                Official Herd Dumbass
                (Ask anybody)

MONK
                Crocified '07 XL1200C
                Herd #34

Comment

Dave, When I was reading I saw the thing about the o-ring. I just got the transfer of the message from the tech, to the service writer. I don't know what's in there,
                  whatever it is though is letting oil into the starter and leaking out onto the ground, LOL. Just have to wait for a new starter now.. It was just a quick "look at and hazarding
                  an educated guess" type of answer as it was getting close to closing time. I just hope the starter gets there Monday.
                  Regards Sonny
                  Last edited by sonnyd; 10-08-2010, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyd View Post
                    Dave, When I was reading I saw the thing about the o-ring. I just got the transfer of the message from the tech, to the service writer. I don't know what's in there,
                    whatever it is though is letting oil into the starter and leaking out onto the ground, LOL. Just have to wait for a new starter now.. It was just a quick "look at and hazarding
                    an educated guess" type of answer as it was getting close to closing time. I just hope the starter gets there Monday.
                    Regards Sonny
                    The older primaries had a starter "jackshaft" that went through the inner primary, and rode on a seal that was installed "backwards" to prevent oil from leaking out of the primary from the inside out.

Now, HD has incorporated a simple O-ring, and ditched the seal, and added machined surfaces for the starte to mount to.

You just got "lucky".
                    **Note: The technical info I provide is suggestive. I am not a perfeshunel.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

Originally posted by Dave63 View Post
                      The older primaries had a starter "jackshaft" that went through the inner primary, and rode on a seal that was installed "backwards" to prevent oil from leaking out of the primary from the inside out.

Now, HD has incorporated a simple O-ring, and ditched the seal, and added machined surfaces for the starte to mount to.

You just got "lucky".
                      Yeah, that's what they said!.....off all the bikes I looked at and could have picked from, I got the "one", LOL
                      Regards Sonny

Comment

Hey sonny, just a thought since its sounds like ur gonna have great weather, why don't u call the sales puke who sold u ur bike and ask him if he can hook u up with a loaner bike till ur bike is finished. I'm sure if ur persuasive enough he'll go for it especially since u only have 500 miles on her!
                        Last edited by RDK09; 10-08-2010, 08:50 PM.
                        "09" King & "10" Forty-Eight(wifes)
                        If u ain't ridin u ain't livin!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rdking09 View Post
                          Hey sonny, just a thought since its sounds like ur gonna have great weather, why don't u call the sales puke who sold u ur bike and ask him if he can hook u up with a loaner bike till ur bike is finished. I'm sure if ur persuasive enough he'll go for it especially since u only have 500 miles on her!
                          jason, that's what my next door neighbor that picked me up from the shop and brought me home said. At first I was kind of bummed out about missing the great
                          weekend of riding, but several things have come up to help fill it up. I volunteered to help a friend move on Sunday, so that's going to take some time, and It will
                          be a good time to clean my garage so I'll have some good work space this winter.........for all those Mods!!!!!!!!!
                          Regards Sonny

Comment

Remember the Apollo Missions?
                            They considerd the mission jinxed unless they had one glitch soon after launch,,,
                            You just had yours,,,,,no biggie,,,
                            Herd #124
                            Age 10 and holding
                            Official Herd Poser

Comment

Update, my Baby is back home!!!!! and Better then new. 1 New Starter, 1 new starter O-ring, and one new O-ring for the Crank/Vehicle speed sensor. All under
                              Warranty of course. Sure is good to have her back!!!!!
                              Regards Sonny

Comment

Working...
                              X