Can you break down Sporty shocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you break down Sporty shocks?

i wanna powder coat my rear shocks black, just the springs, anyone know how to break them down and get the springs off?

Eric, are these stock or better question I guess would be what brand.

Comment

you have to have a shock compressor. You can try to jerry rig something and try it yourself, but be forewarned, wear a hard hat, bulletproof face shield, and heavy tactical chest protection
      Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

basicly (going by memory hear of stock sporty shocks)
        I think if you can find a way to compress just the spring, the top (or maybe bottom) disc will slide off, then take spring off.

just be careful man, be careful
        Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

I can rent a spring compressor no problem. I looks like you just compress the spring and pull out the little c-clip and the top cover should come off.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric The Welder View Post
            I can rent a spring compressor no problem. I looks like you just compress the spring and pull out the little c-clip and the top cover should come off.
            pretty sure this is correct. remember all you have to do is take the tension off you don't have to completely collapse the spring. i used 6 of the BIG ass zip ties to do it. tyhee hard part will be going back together and not scratching the new paint/powder coat.
            Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

and be careful I've seen springs go into orbit before trying sh!t like this..............
              Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

Originally posted by BigWorm View Post
                and becareful i've seend springs go into orbit before trying sh!t like this..............
                Oh the memories of the sore Jaw, and buying new shocks because I wasn't going to try it again HEHE..

Comment

You should do a play by play Eric style and post it up!
                  2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                  HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

correct....but be warned eric....no slips, or your head gets torn off.......
                    U.S. Army "Retired"
                    (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

I will use a spring compressor. No sense in doing a play by play if everything after "compress spring" never ends up on the board. Lol

Comment

I will use a spring compressor. No sense in doing a play by play if everything after "compress spring" never ends up on the board. Lol
                        Please be careful Eric, and FYI brother, those springs are seriously heat treated, and must be compressed equally from side to side, otherwise they break.......and it's not just a snap, it's a BOOM !!
                        Last edited by gruss; 10-07-2010, 12:27 PM.
                        U.S. Army "Retired"
                        (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

good luck man..i would come and help..ahh.but...i..im doin my hair that night! yeah thats it!
                          HERDSTER #00115
                          Herdstock II survivor
                          Herdstock III survivor
                          Herdstock IV survivor
                          Herdstock VI survivor
                          MOO TON CREW member
                          I like the dog. If he can't eat it or f**k it, he pisses on it. I can get behind that

Comment

Awe come on man. I need a big fellow to compress the spring, while I tie it down with speaker wire.

Comment

LMAO!! NOW DAT FUNNY... i can see it now..k Eric you ready..annnndd goooo! SPLAT!!:laughout
                              HERDSTER #00115
                              Herdstock II survivor
                              Herdstock III survivor
                              Herdstock IV survivor
                              Herdstock VI survivor
                              MOO TON CREW member
                              I like the dog. If he can't eat it or f**k it, he pisses on it. I can get behind that

Comment

Working...
                              X