Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well I tried the $1.59 lowering kit.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I tried the $1.59 lowering kit.....

So with a little advice from Dave, i took the extra set of front fork springs i had, chopped off exactly 3", then i took a nice thick metal washer and welded it to the end of the spring so it sits flat. Dropped them in the tubes, then added 1" long PVC preload spacers on each side.

IT actually lowered the bike the perfect amount, around 2", then i took it for a ride and it actually handles better now than it did before, just a hair stiffer, then i went down some real bumpy road and it didn't make any noise, no rattling and i tried as hard as I could but couldn't even get it to bottom out.

Maybe ill save my $120 and skip the progressive drop in kit for now.

Btw. The $1.69 was the piece of PVC pipe. Lol

That was a cheap fix for sure!
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

What weight fork oil?
      Official Herd Dumbass
      (Ask anybody)

MONK
      Crocified '07 XL1200C
      Herd #34

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
        What weight fork oil?
        Don't know, i was gonna go heavy but Dave said just leave it alone, so I didn't change the oil. Whatever was in there is still in there.

Comment

Sometimes, simple is better!!!

Most high dollar fork kit's have nothing but PVC spacers in em!
          OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
          With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
          FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
          RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric The Welder View Post
            Don't know, i was gonna go heavy but Dave said just leave it alone, so I didn't change the oil. Whatever was in there is still in there.
            That'd be the thin stuff, then. When we preloaded my forks an inch we went to 20 wt oil, too.
            Man what a difference - raised the front by an inch and made the forks work right... waiting to see if we'll need to put thin back in for winter riding.
            20 wt works great during 90+ days, might not when it gets cooler...
            Official Herd Dumbass
            (Ask anybody)

MONK
            Crocified '07 XL1200C
            Herd #34

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
              That'd be the thin stuff, then. When we preloaded my forks an inch we went to 20 wt oil, too.
              Man what a difference - raised the front by an inch and made the forks work right... waiting to see if we'll need to put thin back in for winter riding.
              20 wt works great during 90+ days, might not when it gets cooler...
              When I did mine I added the SE Heavy fork oil. Now that the weather is cooling off in the mornings, I can feel it getting a little bit harsh on the way to work. Time will only tell how bad it will be in the winter! Oh well its easy to change.
              Whatever doesn't kill me....HAD BETTER START RUNNING!

Official HERD Member #00130

Comment

good to hear. simple home done tricks work as good or better in some cases than "kits" you can buy
                Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Weren't all you guys telling me not to cut fork springs? Lol

Monk, maybe the thin oil feels good right now in mine because it was 45 degrees for my test run, I may want to go with heavier oil in the summer months.

Comment

Yep, I sure did and I'll stick by what I said Eric!

You got what cha wanted and it worked for ya, I just won't do it to one of my bikes!

I would have changed the springs instead of cutting!

I'm glad your happy with your result's!
                    OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
                    With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
                    FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
                    RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

i've lowered many vrods with the progressive kits for the front, all they consist of is the seal kits some pvc pipe a couple inches long and shorter springs. i've also cut springs, its been a while but if i remember correct the springs are "sprung" different on one side and thats the side you don't want to cut. i'm betting those that say its bad is the ones thats experienced the springs being cut wrong, therefor against cutting.
                      Crazy people don't know they're crazy, I know I'm crazy therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy.....

Comment

I may still go with the progressive kit, well see how this goes.

Big worm, i left the "tight"side alone. Chopped the top. From looking at the progressive kit my buddy has it seems as though they are just that, shorter springs with PVC spacers. The coil space seems to be the same too but who knows, Im not a "springologist"

Comment

Originally posted by Eric The Welder View Post
                          Im not a "springologist"
                          ...........but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night
                          Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

The progresives have the Progresive spring rate is all I know that could make a diference.
                            THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
                            How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

It's no biggie in any case Eric! We all know you're gon' end up with a springer on that thang sooner 'r later anyways...

Official Herd Dumbass
                              (Ask anybody)

MONK
                              Crocified '07 XL1200C
                              Herd #34

Comment

Working...
                              X