I have a silly/stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a silly/stupid question

On my bike there is a power outlet. there's very little mention of it in the owners manual. It looks just like a Battery Tender pigtail. My
    question is, can you plug a battery tender into it?? I mean, is it hooked
    to the battery, like you do with a battery tender pigtail? I know it's fused just like a battery tender pigtail. I hate to pull the seat and all of that
    to check, because I'm feeling super lazy. I don't want to burn up some wiring on the bike by plugging in the tender. Does anyone know for sure, or has anyone plugged their tender into it??
    Thanks in advance for the answers.
    Regards Sonny
    2007 FLHX Street Glide HERD #35
    Route 66 "The Mother Road" Thank You Cyrus Avery!

Sonny, I ride every day so I don't use a tender, but I'm pretty sure that is what you are seein'. Is it coming from under the seat on the left side?
    H1E2R8D

Comment

There's no way that new bike should need tending at all at this point.
      Especially as much as it's gettin' ridden.

But a quick phone call to the selling dealer should clear up any questions..?
      Official Herd Dumbass
      (Ask anybody)

MONK
      Crocified '07 XL1200C
      Herd #34

Comment

I've got that pigtail on my 2010 FLHRC. The dealership tried to sell me a $40 tender the day I bought the bike! I declined, telling them my 2007 was three years old when I traded it in, with 38,000 miles and never been on a tender. Battery was strong.
        H1E2R8D

Comment

its for yer and

no really

what john n don said

was having a dinozzo moment...sorry

Twenty First Herdster
          * When Its All Said And Done, Will You Have Said More Than You Have Done?
          ** How Old Would You Be If You Didnt Know How Old You Where?
          99 FLSTF
          03 FLHTCI

Comment

What they said (except for toorglide). Don't know why they would give you a tender without telling you but I'd check if I were you.
            x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
            HERD member #66
            HS I Survivor
            HS II Survivor
            HS III Survivor
            HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

Comment

yes ,yes, i recant.........to be sure, pull the seat and follow the leads. they prolly do go to the battery. the only way to know for sure with out having to take someones word for it....especially some guy on the phone....juss sayin
              Twenty First Herdster
              * When Its All Said And Done, Will You Have Said More Than You Have Done?
              ** How Old Would You Be If You Didnt Know How Old You Where?
              99 FLSTF
              03 FLHTCI

Comment

I found THAT pigtail on my FLHRC AFTER I installed one for a battery tender. I believe it is for heated clothes and other accessories requiring power. Whether you can use it as an input for charging, IDK. As I said, I found it after I put one on, so it didn't matter much to me at that point.

Comment

Sonny, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Safest bet is to ask the selling stealership!!!
                  OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
                  With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
                  FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
                  RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

It's a factory Super-Smart, Battery Tender plug. HD has been installing them OEM since 2010, and it started in the colder regions. It's now standard equipment for 2011.

It's also used for HD's line of heated clothing. If you have older clothing, you can buy the plugs from Radio Shack to change it over.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US
                    Last edited by Dave63; 09-30-2010, 05:53 AM.
                    **Note: The technical info I provide is suggestive. I am not a perfeshunel.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys..........and Dave comes through again. I just like to keep all my stuff on a Tender. I do a lot of little short trips, especially now with the new bike and I don't
                      think the bike gets that good of a charge, mostly just a surface charge on these kind of trips. You guys would be surprized how much your batteries drain if your not riding 20 30 miles
                      every time you drive. Even the 4 wheelers are the same. I drive my car almost everyday, but usually not more then to run to the store or work, less then 5 miles. I took the car the
                      other day to work, and used our 1000 dollar battery analyzer on it. My battery health was about 90%, but the charge was about 50%. I hate replacing batteries, and spending money
                      on the "non fun" stuff, and I've found the Tenders do a good job. I've never had to replace a battery on a bike I've used a tender on. Last bike I sold was notorius for eating batteries
                      and I had the original battery in mine, and it was 6 years old. Only takes a few seconds to plug in, and it doesn't hurt a thing...... Thanks Dave for the info.
                      Regards Sonny
                      2007 FLHX Street Glide HERD #35
                      Route 66 "The Mother Road" Thank You Cyrus Avery!

Comment

Sonny, did they give you a tender with your bike or not. Just wondering with what Dave said if you still gave to buy the HD tender.
                        x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x
                        HERD member #66
                        HS I Survivor
                        HS II Survivor
                        HS III Survivor
                        HS IV,V,VI wanted to go.....

Comment

It's a standard pigtail for the tender. On my sporty, they had added it before putting it on the showroom floor and wanted to charge me for it (didn't pay for it) and used it with my non-HD Battery Tender last winter. When I got the Dyna, I asked if I had to add it and they said no, it now came standard. So that's what it is for. But it can also be used with a cigarette lighter type accessory so I can charge my phone or use my GPS if I want.
                          Bud
                          HERD Member #84

(Guardian bell from hockeydawg12 and his wife, Jean!)

Comment

Both of the dealers in my area put the Battery Tender pigtails on all of their bikes, have been for a couple of years now I believe.

Josh #00042
                            R.I.P. Dad 1951-2015

Comment

I would physically verify what its connected to before I plug anything into it. Never know.... it could be wire reverse polarity and some devices that matters, especially a battery tender.

I installed a battery tender on mine ( don't know why, bike never sits ) but I can run my air pump off of the pigtail, and thanks to Dave63's EZ Electrical Plug I use it as a power outlet also. Click - HERE - to see Dave's write up.
                              HERD # 00075
                              08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
                              USMC Veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X