Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to drill holes in heat shields?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to drill holes in heat shields?

so i like the look of the black stock exhaust on some newer sportys, with the "buckshot heat shields"

i have a buddy who is gonna give me a set of stock pipes and shileds, and some screaming eagle mufflers. i wanna drill holes in the heat shields then get the whole setup ceramic coated black.

but whats the best way to get nice clean holes in these shields?

also, does anyone have these that can tell me how big the holes are, and how far apart they are?

say it with me.. Drill Press. Unless you have access to a punch.

Take your time and measure twice, then check it again, lay it out with a sharpie marker and TAKE YOUR TIME. Nothing will F*ck up a project like this quicker than rushing it.

Take pictures so we can see, as this sounds like a cool DYI modification.
    Last edited by DevilDog; 09-27-2010, 01:52 PM.
    HERD # 00075
    08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
    USMC Veteran

Comment

YUP, but first cover the drill side with 3" masking tape,then measure,mark & drill.
      HERD MEMBER #0057

If i only had more time..............

Comment

Well I don't have a drill press. Only regular drills, I guess if it has to be done with a drill press, I'll have to bring it to a machine shop for holes

Comment

I'd paint the pipes. That way if you get a knick or a scratch you can touch them up. I painted my black ceramic thunderheader this past winter. It was 8 years old with some scratches and stuff. So far I like the results. Oh.. just reread your post. The pipes are probably chrome. I don't know about painting chrome. Maybe you can if you sand them. I'm not sure.
          Herd member #85

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eric The Welder View Post
            Well I don't have a drill press. Only regular drills, I guess if it has to be done with a drill press, I'll have to bring it to a machine shop for holes
            If you take it to a machine shop have them punch the hole's, much cleaner holes!

What are the holes for?
            OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
            With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
            FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
            RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Originally posted by Crocodile56 View Post
              ...What are the holes for?
              To look cool! You can possible do it with a regular drill but it will be a lot of work. Use a NEW carbide drill. You'll need to use a center punch to keep the drill from walking all over the shield. You would need to punch it onto a mandrel of some kind. You could use a pipe in a vise and wrap it with a couple of turns of duck tape to make it soft enough to get a good dimple on the inside.

Best bet is take it somewhere and use a drill press or better, have someone punch them. I would GUESS on the size as 1/2 to 3/4 inch holes, but it really is what you think looks best. Try marking them out with a stencil and black marker and see how it looks with different size holes.
              Bud
              HERD Member #84

(Guardian bell from hockeydawg12 and his wife, Jean!)

Comment

why not put a custom design in them or spell out the word HERD. then using a piece of stainless backing after you ceramic coat them, rivet the stainless behind the top shield so HERD shows through the black cover

this option will definitely take some time............but you will have the only set on the planet.......CUSTOM
                Twenty First Herdster
                * When Its All Said And Done, Will You Have Said More Than You Have Done?
                ** How Old Would You Be If You Didnt Know How Old You Where?
                99 FLSTF
                03 FLHTCI

Comment

Originally posted by doorgunnerjgs View Post
                  To look cool! You can possible do it with a regular drill but it will be a lot of work. Use a NEW carbide drill. You'll need to use a center punch to keep the drill from walking all over the shield. You would need to punch it onto a mandrel of some kind. You could use a pipe in a vise and wrap it with a couple of turns of duck tape to make it soft enough to get a good dimple on the inside.

Best bet is take it somewhere and use a drill press or better, have someone punch them. I would GUESS on the size as 1/2 to 3/4 inch holes, but it really is what you think looks best. Try marking them out with a stencil and black marker and see how it looks with different size holes.
                  OH........I forgot about the cool thing!

Comment

thant would be kinda cool, not with HERD though, what else would be cool....

also guys, i can use these pipes without the crossover tube right? it has been cut off and the holes welded closed. i figure there are tons of pipes out there without crossover tubes.

Comment

Just saying Eric, but I gots a drill press and punch out set here...........how long are your arms?

Comment

Not long Enough

Comment

Shit..... I just threw a pair out for a Dyna that were drilled...........

You wanna use a "Step Bit".

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00913378000P

Go get them from Harbor Freight for $13 for 3. I use them all the time.....on Rotors and brake carriers......They allow you to cut a hole, then bevel the entry of the hole with the next size shoulder.

Before:

After:

Rear brake drum:

Rear brake rotor ans caliper holder:

**Note: The technical info I provide is suggestive. I am not a perfeshunel.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

Originally posted by Eric The Welder View Post
                            Not long Enough
                            So you know my ex-wife ??...............
                            U.S. Army "Retired"
                            (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Originally posted by gruss View Post
                              So you know my ex-wife ??...............
                              :laughout:laughout:laughout:laughout:laughoutYa Killing Me Gruss!

Comment

Working...
                              X