M'Dang Tree's Crooked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M'Dang Tree's Crooked!

Well I noticed when I first got my bike that my handlebars were just a smidge crooked in the clockwise direction. I could see the bars weren't parallel to the edges of the triple tree. No problem. I can fix that by loosening the risers and clamp and straightening the bars and re-tightening.

It wasn't until later (riding) that i noticed that the T-Tree is also turned slightly clockwise when I'm riding the bike straight. The bike seems to track fine and everything, but I'm afraid that it won't anymore if I loosen the forks and try to straighten them in the tree.

Any ideas? I'll probably just end up taking it to HD and let them take a look at it so I don't screw it up.

shit...I dunno....mine was like that after running into a car....
    Official "Herd Booze taste tester!"

Member #0006 :babe

"Lead paint chips are chewy AND sweet......" In memory of Rick.

Comment

Originally posted by V-Girl View Post
      Well whad'ja go and do that for? ;)

I don't THINK my bike's been wrecked. ?? It was a state trooper that I bought it from and he only put 2800 miles on it.

I was thinking it was like a Harley fit and finish thing. Now I HOPE that's what it is.
      Last edited by HoboCoastie; 09-24-2010, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Examine the fork tubes REAL closely just below the lower triple... if it's taken a front impact, one may be slightly bent back. That, or the front axle maybe isn't exactly straight.

Both pretty easy fixes, but a tube would probably cost ya $100.
        Official Herd Dumbass
        (Ask anybody)

MONK
        Crocified '07 XL1200C
        Herd #34

Comment

Originally posted by HoboCoastie View Post
          Well whad'ja do and do that for? ;)

I don't THINK my bike's been wrecked. ?? It was a state trooper that I bought it from and he only put 2800 miles on it.

I was thinking it was like a Harley fit and finish thing. Now I HOPE that's what it is.
          Ohhhh...mine was very new, had this 17 yr old with 1 week old licence do a U turn in front of me on a narrow road, locked up the front and back brakes....it started to go down, let off just before impact to let it go back up, was a bit of a mess!

So the car is a mess. the bike is down in the road, and I wasn't too happy with this young fellow, he starts cryin, and I say "Oh for fukks sakke!" etc..............

It might be a Harley thing , messed up from the plant, but a bike normally you should be able to let go of the handle bars and it should stay up and go striaght sorta....

The one I had crashed would never do that, the bars if you let go would suddenly go left and ready to go down, I still think the frame was bend, everyhting else was replaced!

Comment

It might be a Harley thing , messed up from the plant, but a bike normally you should be able to let go of the handle bars and it should stay up and go striaght sorta....

The one I had crashed would never do that, the bars if you let go would suddenly go left and ready to go down, I still think the frame was bend, everyhting else was replaced!
            I can let go of the bars and it'll stay straight, so whatever it is, it isn't too bad. It's just that I can see that it's like that and my OCD kicks in and I gotta get it right.

Monk, thanks for that advice. I'll take a look at it and see. When riding straight, it looks like the tree is turned to the right by about 2 degrees or so...drives me nuts!

Comment

whcih side is yur wiener on??? that coukd be makin things off sides..............

Comment

whcih side is yur wiener on??? that coukd be makin things off sides..............
                Y'know, I didn't even think of that! I do dress to the right when I ride...its warmer on that side. :D

Comment

If the bars look canted right, I'd expect a very slight bend in the left tube... it's not that uncommon.
                  Got a bud with a yellow '06 XL1200C that has the bars about 5 left, and the right tube is visibly bent back just a bit.
                  It's annoying, but he rides it anyway. Could be fixed in a couple hours with a new tube.

He says he pulled into his garage, put down the kickstand, forgot to hit neutral, popped the clutch and ran into the back wall at about 5 mph.

Kids.
                  Official Herd Dumbass
                  (Ask anybody)

MONK
                  Crocified '07 XL1200C
                  Herd #34

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                    If the bars look canted right, I'd expect a very slight bend in the left tube... it's not that uncommon.
                    Got a bud with a yellow '06 XL1200C that has the bars about 5 left, and the right tube is visibly bent back just a bit.
                    It's annoying, but he rides it anyway. Could be fixed in a couple hours with a new tube.

He says he pulled into his garage, put down the kickstand, forgot to hit neutral, popped the clutch and ran into the back wall at about 5 mph.

Kids..

This does not help much for HOBO, but I figured some one might need a laugh. Back in my younger days with the ink still wet on my Moto license. I went over to my girlfriend’s house, to pick her up for a date. Was sitting in her parents garage with her younger brother, I was playing with the throttle because he liked it when the engine rev'ed up. I decided to let go and sit there with out holding having my hands on the bars, and next thing I knew I was sitting in there living room, looking at there TV still on the bike. Long story short NO it was not in neutral. Besides my pride and ego being bent all to hell, front rim warped, I spent the next two days with my Dad replacing there garage/living room door, that I tore off the hinges. AHHH well live and learn, young dumb and full of $%^&.........Well enjoy your laughs and GOOD MORNING HERD...

:morning

Comment

:laughout
                      OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
                      2014 FLHXS
                      U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by HoboCoastie View Post
                        Well I noticed when I first got my bike that my handlebars were just a smidge crooked in the clockwise direction. I could see the bars weren't parallel to the edges of the triple tree. No problem. I can fix that by loosening the risers and clamp and straightening the bars and re-tightening.

It wasn't until later (riding) that i noticed that the T-Tree is also turned slightly clockwise when I'm riding the bike straight. The bike seems to track fine and everything, but I'm afraid that it won't anymore if I loosen the forks and try to straighten them in the tree.

Any ideas? I'll probably just end up taking it to HD and let them take a look at it so I don't screw it up.
                        Are you sure she' tracking right? Have someone follow you and ride her down a straight road, person behind ya will be able to see how she tracks........

Iffin it where me bike........I'd loosen the whole fork/wheel assembly, put it all straight, retighten everything, recheck it with someone following me.....but that's just me.
                        OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
                        With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
                        FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
                        RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Except nobody can keep up with you from behind...
                          Official Herd Dumbass
                          (Ask anybody)

MONK
                          Crocified '07 XL1200C
                          Herd #34

Comment

Well, I straightened up the handlebars, but it's been rainy all day today, so I haven't been able to get out and ride to see how the tree looks with the bars straight.

Comment

Ohhhh...mine was very new, had this 17 yr old with 1 week old licence do a U turn in front of me on a narrow road, locked up the front and back brakes....it started to go down, let off just before impact to let it go back up, was a bit of a mess!

So the car is a mess. the bike is down in the road, and I wasn't too happy with this young fellow, he starts cryin, and I say "Oh for fukks sakke!" etc..............

Went N got all soft on us after He started cryin didnja.:laughout:laughout:laughout
                              Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Working...
                              X