Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do pipes with heat shields get as hot as pipes without?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do pipes with heat shields get as hot as pipes without?

    the freking drag pipe on this bike get so freaking hot it feels like my thigh is on fire after only 6- miles. if i threw stock sporty exhaust back on with some slip ons would the stock heat shields really help that much?

  • #2
    Yes, heat shields would help you out.
    Whatever doesn't kill me....HAD BETTER START RUNNING!

    Official HERD Member #00130

    Comment


    • #3
      what CLL said
      Twenty First Herdster
      * When Its All Said And Done, Will You Have Said More Than You Have Done?
      ** How Old Would You Be If You Didnt Know How Old You Where?
      99 FLSTF
      03 FLHTCI

      Comment


      • #4
        Yup, they still get hot... but not as.

        Also, they cool pretty quickly when you shut it off.


        Much faster than just pipes.
        Official Herd Dumbass
        (Ask anybody)

        MONK
        Crocified '07 XL1200C
        Herd #34

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Eric The Welder View Post
          the freking drag pipe on this bike get so freaking hot it feels like my thigh is on fire after only 6- miles. if i threw stock sporty exhaust back on with some slip ons would the stock heat shields really help that much?
          It not so much the heat shield itself Eric, its the air space between the pipe and the shield that makes it cooler! If ya just install a pair of shields on your present pipes you should be good!
          OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
          With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
          FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
          RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

          Comment


          • #6
            Shields make a huge difference Eric....I've considered new pipes, and losing the shields, but I havent wanted the extra heat, so I kept them on.......G
            U.S. Army "Retired"
            (Disabled Veteran)

            Comment


            • #7
              You could also wrap them....
              ALARCOGAILINIAKSKYMDMIMNMSMONENMNCOHOKPASDTNTXUTWV WIWYsm.jpg
              Josh #00042
              R.I.P. Dad 1951-2015

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by doublej View Post
                You could also wrap them....
                Pipes will crack.......you have to let the heat out.....IMHO
                U.S. Army "Retired"
                (Disabled Veteran)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Anyone wanna buy a set of black ceramic coated drag pipes?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Eric, just have a set of shields powder coated to match your beautiful pipes, install em and be done wit it bro.

                    But then again....it's your bike!!!
                    OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
                    With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
                    FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
                    RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Where the hell am I gonna find heat shields that are the same as these pipes?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        J&P cycle
                        they have so many different sizes and styles of heatshields it aint funny
                        Ride in Peace Wndchsr


                        www.my.doterra.com/jbush

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Crocodile56 View Post
                          Eric, just have a set of shields powder coated to match your beautiful pipes, install em and be done wit it bro.

                          But then again....it's your bike!!!
                          Sounds like a good solution Eric!
                          H1E2R8D

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yeah I burnt my bare leg on the heat shield,,,damn glad they were there !!!!!
                            wouldda been fugly without,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
                            Lesson lernt,,,DO NOT get on a hot bike with shorts on,,,,
                            yeah yeah I know I'm s stupid Poser,,,:babs
                            Last edited by Osco*; 09-25-2010, 04:09 PM.
                            Herd #124
                            Age 10 and holding
                            Official Herd Poser

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Osco* View Post
                              Yeah I burnt my bare leg on the heat shield,,,damn glad they were there !!!!!
                              wouldda been fugly without,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
                              Lesson lernt,,,DO NOT get on a hot bike with shorts on,,,,
                              yeah yeah I know I'm s stupid Poser,,,:babs
                              Stupid should hurt! Wearing short's on a bike....duh!!!
                              OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
                              With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
                              FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
                              RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X