Size socket for fork caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size socket for fork caps?

Gonna put in shorter springs, what size socket do I need for the fork caps? I dint have many big wrenches.

Also, is it as simple as take off fork caps, pull out springs? Replace springs, replace caps? Should i loosen up the tripple tree clamp?

There is a special sockets for them. The springs will be under a little pressure when you take them out. You have to pull the forks out to pull the fork tube plug, so you need two sockets to do it properly in my opinion.
    Last edited by o8h0g; 09-19-2010, 12:40 PM.
    Dale
    Official HERD Member #00145
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

Comment

Where do I get this socket? I kinda wanted to do this now. Can just use a wrench?

Comment

You could probably use a wrench. I got mine from tedd cycle. I will see if I can find pictures and post them.
        Dale

Comment

Check this link, look at part numbers 16-0360 and 16-0670.

http://www.vtwinmfg.com/Catalog1/VTwinCatalogIndex1.htm

The page does not come up, enter page 1258 in goto page number. Hope this helps.
          Dale

Comment

Eric, you can use a wrench, I have an OLD MONKEY WRENCH that I use. The jaws are smooth and don't hurt the chrome/finish!

Becareful when removing the cap's.......they are under a load...they will pop up and git ya!!!
            OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
            With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
            FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
            RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Problem isn't taking them off it is putting them back together and getting the proper torque.
              Dale

Comment

I had a socket that worked. Came out easy. Problem is my new springs that came off a hugger are the same damn length, The are sopposed to be shorter!! Can I just hack off an 1 1/2"? Or what?

Comment

Not sure about that.
                  Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Eric The Welder View Post
                    I had a socket that worked. Came out easy. Problem is my new springs that came off a hugger are the same damn length, The are sopposed to be shorter!! Can I just hack off an 1 1/2"? Or what?
                    the spring rate should be different so eben if they are same length that doesnt mean the bike will sit or ride the same ..when i did my nightster the new springs were same length but also had pvc pipe spacer thought it would make the bike sit higher but it sat stock but the ride was awesome..potholes ,bridge expansion joints etc were barely noticable ..the job is easy shouldnt takle longer than an hour or so
                    09 Softail Springer FLSTFBT "AKA" Heritage Fatbones Touring
                    www.youtube.com/user/bcvtwin?feature=mhee

herd #148

Comment

Don't cut anything!!! What Colonelangus said is about right, its not so much the length but spring load rate, weigh the two springs, bet ya the hugger springs weigh less and look at how they are wound you should see a slight difference!
                      OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
                      With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
                      FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
                      RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

They look the same. I put them I'm anyway, And they didn't lower it at all and it rides the same. Maybe the 883r comes with the same front springs. The rear springs lowered it to the perfect height though, Now how to lower the front a bit?

Comment

You could get new forks that are -2", or look for a fork lowering kit, usually from Drag Specialties.
                          Last edited by o8h0g; 09-19-2010, 06:02 PM.
                          Dale

Comment

Working...
                          X