My bike is broke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My bike is broke!

Didn't mention this in my picture thread, but 1/2 way between Jerome, Az. and Bullhead City, Az. I lost my rear breaks. Rode it home with only the fronts, didn't have any problems. So, yesterday I put her on the lift to see what could have gone wrong.

Just in front of the clutch cover the clutch cable's stainless steel sleeve had been rubbing against the rear break line. I guess 22,000 miles of rubbing finally wore a hole in the line. I had 'squirted' all the break fluid on the way down the mountain from Jerome. 5 dealers close to home, and the best appointment I could get was the 14th! You ask why don't I fix it myself??? The bike is still under warranty. Parts would cost me a couple hundred bucks, and they wouldn't give them to me.
    Official Member #00149
    2 Stinking Trikes, '09 % '11
    Social Security and Medicare
    Qualified! 65 and still riding
    Official Bona fide Geezer

Two weeks for a brake line? Go figure....Either they are doing that much business out there or not enough and are running too lean of an operation! They won't give you the parts because they would lose the revenue for the repairs. They still charge Harley Corporate for whatever is done.
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Sorry to hear about that, I need to check mine out for that potential problem. Will they give you a loaner?
      HERD MEMBER #00027
      Riding for LT. Tim Campbell (LEO)
      In Memory of Rubberdown RIP HERD #00019
      In Memory of Betsy
      In Memory of Sabrina

Comment

Dang that really blowz,maby check egay for a brake hose,might get one cheap enough then when it`s warranty time put the old one back on.
        Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Two weeks is ridiculous! That's the time frame I was advised to allow when I need service at Sound HD! That's why I had my 1000 mile service done at another dealer; that's when I ended up with synthetic instead of conventional against my written instructions!

How the hell do you plan two weeks out? I might get a wild hair and ride a 1000 miles some weekend!
          H1E2R8D

Comment

Bet ya, iffin ya wuz a paying customer they'd have ya in tomorrow!!!!

Wanna bet yuh, yuh, yuh!!!

I'd call em and ask, hey I blew a brake line on the front of bike, can you fix it today or tomorrow and how much? Bet ya they say, "Sure we can, you need it towed"? $$$$$$$$
            OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
            With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
            FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
            RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

Same thing happened to a friend of mine about 2 months ago.....brake line wore through up front!!!!!
              OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
              2014 FLHXS
              U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

sounds like the MoCo is using some inferior brake lines
                Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                  sounds like the MoCo is using some inferior brake lines
                  Or some bad routing habits.
                  Ear Tag no. 00030

Comment

Ya, I was kind of surprised when I went looking. Pretty easy to find, stick your face in the general area and push the break pedal. The break line, clutch cable and a wire loom were all clamped together at the frame. I'm guessing every time I squeezed the clutch it scraped just a little. 22,000 miles later I got problems. It is all under warranty, the dealer is gong to get paid by someone, just not me! We are going to be at the Colorado River next week anyway so the delay won't hurt much. I'm just sure I'm going to take the scoot in and they will say "Yup, break line is leaking, Got to order the parts." I'm sure the line isn't something they keep in stock.
                    Official Member #00149

Comment

Really like to see a closeup pic of the failure, SB... err... know anyone with a camera..?

Serious about the pic, though. Like to see this one!
                      Official Herd Dumbass
                      (Ask anybody)

MONK
                      Crocified '07 XL1200C
                      Herd #34

Comment

10 days is unaceptable anywhere in the us period.being a brake issue they should have it shipped in 2 days max..could be there really isnt stock .this happened to me my throttle cables stretched beyond adjustment and the dealer went to replace them and the ones he had in stock were buggered so he ordered new ones and same thing the braze ons were incorrect so he ordered new ones each time rushed 2 day delivery..anyway harley checked there inventory and discovered they were all like that so 3 weeks later when a new batch were made i got my cables ,but the dealer took some off a floor model so i could ride untill my new ones came in..just a note the cables were covered by warrenty as they stretched far to much and to quickly
                        09 Softail Springer FLSTFBT "AKA" Heritage Fatbones Touring
                        www.youtube.com/user/bcvtwin?feature=mhee

herd #148

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                          Really like to see a closeup pic of the failure, SB... err... know anyone with a camera..?

Serious about the pic, though. Like to see this one!
                          Ask and ye shall receive. You can see where the steel braid on the clutch sleeve is frayed, and the shiny spot where it rubbed a hole in the brake line. The dealer 'played' with the clutch cable at the 5,000 mile service, said I had a leak in the line. Got the paperwork!!!

Ya, Ya, Ya, I spelled Shiny worng, and used the wrong brake. Engineers can't spell!
                          Attached Files
                          Official Member #00149

Comment

Originally posted by screwball View Post
                            Engineers can't spell!
                            I can! But I'm more of a field svc tech.
                            Thanx! Guess this proves there is a downside to braided cables.
                            Official Herd Dumbass
                            (Ask anybody)

MONK
                            Crocified '07 XL1200C
                            Herd #34

Comment

nuttin to do with bikes but i found lines rubbing the aluminum intake tubes on my F250 by a guy that posted a heads up on a problem....i'll be pokin around the bikes a bit closer lookin for premature line and cable wear..........thanks steve
                              Twenty First Herdster
                              * When Its All Said And Done, Will You Have Said More Than You Have Done?
                              ** How Old Would You Be If You Didnt Know How Old You Where?
                              99 FLSTF
                              03 FLHTCI

Comment

Working...
                              X