Road Glide Ultra vs. Ultra Classic Electra Glide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Glide Ultra vs. Ultra Classic Electra Glide

So I went to my local dealership today and sat on a few baggers...cuz I have bagger envy.

Road Glide Ultra and Ultra Classic Electra Glide

sales guy tells me that the road glide is HD's hidden treasure and that it handles better than the Ultra Classic because the fairing is attached to the frame.

Question for those of you that have ridden either or both: is that true? is it a noticeable difference? I'm going back in a couple of weeks to demo both, but just curious about your opinions.

Thanks!
    Hoss

There is a difference from the fixed fairing. Not dangerously but the fairing on the electra does get the air tension as it hits it. Wait until they have the test drive a Harley which happens quite often and check for yourself.
    2010 FLHX - Street Glide
    HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

2nd that, I have a Ultra Classic, and I gotta be honest with you, I just cannot get past the fixed fairing, I also sat on a Road Glide Limited Tuesday and did not like how far the radio was from me, I am just partial to the Electra Glides. And yes I agree with Boss about the wind tension but I have learned to deal with it.
      Dale
      Official HERD Member #00145
      Keep The Rubber Side Down

Comment

And...let me mention the getting used the the FIXED fairing. The first several runs is FREAKY... You are turning and the fairing is fixed on the Road Glide and you are expecting it to mooooo've but it doesn't. A bit of getting used to it.
        2010 FLHX - Street Glide
        HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
          And...let me mention the getting used the the FIXED fairing. The first several runs is FREAKY... You are turning and the fairing is fixed on the Road Glide and you are expecting it to mooooo've but it doesn't. A bit of getting used to it.
          salesman said that it made the bike feel "lighter" and more maneuverable...I'll be the judge of that when I ride both, I guess

Appreciate the input....keep it coming...

Comment

So are you gonna have a new bike when we meet for beer & burgers on 9/19 Hoss?
            Herd Member #87
            US Navy Veteran

Comment

nope...it will be late next year or maybe even 2012 before I get a new bike

Between now and then I will look at these two bikes and ride both. When I pick the one I want, I'll demo ride it half a dozen times or more...then pull the trigger.

It will take me that long to get the approval from the wife...

Comment

Hoss,

The difference on the road between the Road Glide / Electra Glide or "Frame vs handlebar" mounted fairing is really kinda minor as far as performance and maneuverability. I have extended time in the saddle with both bikes, obviously more on the Electra since that is the one that I ultimately went with. Maneuverability or particularity low speed maneuverability I would lean more toward the Road Glide for the reason as the front end feels lighter as you do not have the weight of the fairing and all that goes with it on the handlebars and forks. With this said the EG is not a pig in the parking lot, watch any Police motorcycle handling contest and you see how it can really handle. But I personally could feel a difference even as minor as it was. High speed maneuverability in my opinion the bikes are pretty even. They are the pickup trucks of the bike world and will never handle like a sport bike and on the open road handling was pretty much dead even. Another area that I noticed a difference is at speed in cross winds. If you have a strong crosswind going from right to left the RG will push left when hit with crosswind. With the EG the crosswind will ever so slightly turn the bike to the right sorta keeping it straight, as the wind will somewhat steer the bike. You really notice in crosswinds or passing big rigs. IMHO I prefer this as the EG feels more stable in the crosswinds, just my opinion.... As far as wind and rain protection on both bikes, the RG does a better job of keeping wind off your mid section but to me that is a drawback in hot weather, and I like the idea of having adjustable side vents on my batwing to increase air flow.

To me the rest is personal taste as far as looks. Both bikes have the capability to be loaded down like U-Hauls and still get down the road. They only word of caution is you have to really look at a "Load Plan" when you pack for a run. I know when we were at HERDSTOCK my bike looked like it was packed like a Bedouin pilgrim, but a lot of thought went into the way it was packed to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. The do get unforgiving in the handling department when you load them down heavy.

Now this is just the world as DDB see's it.... Both are great bikes so you won't make a mistake no matter what you choose.

Good luck in what you choose, call me if you have any questions.
                Last edited by DevilDog; 08-28-2010, 05:06 PM.
                HERD # 00075
                08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
                USMC Veteran

Comment

I have never rode a Road Glide but I will say the new ones look a hell of a lot better than the old ones. I like the looks of the new ones quite a bit. Some of those older FLT's were downright ugly. I mean really ugly. The front end, the square looking dash, and then the enclosed rear chain... Fuggggggggggggg what were they thinking. OK, back to 2011 or 2010, whatever. To tell ya the truth I like the looks of both bikes.

I have not noticed the wind friction or buffeting as some call it on the forums. Then again I have'nt rode a Road glide either to feel the difference. Been riding baggers since 84 and I like the batwing fairing, to me it just looks the way it's supposed to. But man, that new Road Glide sure looks nice.

Myself? I would'nt let the wind issues even come into play when making a decision. Hell, I did'nt even know about em till I read about them. I'm usually going faster than the wind anyway LOL. Some day I would like to get or build a bobbed bar hopper. That would be cool! But if I can only have one bike it's a bagger for me.

I like taking stuff with me and being able to get stuff on the way home. Steaks , beer or whatever, I got the room.

One more thing..... BAGGERS RULE

Just noticed the new smilies too! I'm British. :uk And 1a
                  Herd member #85

sigpic

Comment

awesome write up, DDB. Thank you.

I actually like the look of the EG better..but will evaluate both bikes more as I ride them. My goal is to have a bagger by the time I ride to HERDSTOCK III. I'll be looking at maneuverability, storage, customizable ability, availability of accessories, and other "stuff" Price seems to be pretty close, so I don't think it will weigh on my decision.

Appreciate the time you put into the post. Hope to see you on the road soon...

Comment

I actually like the look of the EG better
                      That is pretty much what sealed it for me..... although the RG's are looking real nice lately.

Seriously I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I may be wrong but I feel more after market is available for the EG simply because there are more on the road. But I could be wrong as I typically do not look for RG parts. LOL

The first day I rode my bike to work, one of the guys met me in the parking lot as I was getting off the bike. He looked it over and said man you did a great job restoring that thing !! I told him that it was brand new and he said I would have thought it was a 1950 something buy the way it looks.
                      That is what I love about the EG, its classic styling.

But Strat is correct Baggers rule........ I like being able to go grocery shopping and being able to carry it all on the bike....
                      HERD # 00075
                      USMC Veteran

Comment

Another thing to consider after the DDB great write up...a Road Glide is meant for what it's called...ROAD GLIDE as they glide at higher speed. If you are going to be cruising at 60 - 70 MPH, the Electra would be your bike. If you plan on long journeys at 80+, you will definately see the difference.

My Street Glide at 80 starts getting light at the front end while a Road Glide lowers itself for a much better road control.
                        2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                        HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Will it do the 100 takn pics of your speedo better?
                          THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
                          How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
                            Another thing to consider after the DDB great write up...a Road Glide is meant for what it's called...ROAD GLIDE as they glide at higher speed. If you are going to be cruising at 60 - 70 MPH, the Electra would be your bike. If you plan on long journeys at 80+, you will definately see the difference.

My Street Glide at 80 starts getting light at the front end while a Road Glide lowers itself for a much better road control.
                            I'm a 70 - 75 mph guy....another vote for EG...

Comment

Originally posted by vlade View Post
                              Will it do the 100 takn pics of your speedo better?
                              I will let you know....... soon
                              HERD # 00075
                              USMC Veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X