No announcement yet.

Pondering life while avoiding work....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pondering life while avoiding work....

A week ago, while on my way home from visiting friends in MO, my bike broke down on the side of the interstate. Luckily I was only around 90 miles from where most of my family lives and my brother was able to come get me. What got me thinking was this. I sat on the side of the road, fiddling with my bike trying to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it for over 2 hours and the only 2 people who stopped was a sherriff's deputy and a really cool older couple in a chopped 46 Ford. At least 20 bike rode by without most even acknowledging me at all. I have almost no skills when it comes to bike repair, but I have never rode by a broke down bike without stopping to see if there was anything I could do to help. I wasn't too worried because I knew someone was on the way to get me, but it just struck me as odd that not one single person on a bike thought to stop. Maybe I just look scarry!!?? ed
    Tommy
    HERD Member #141

"To ride, or not to ride... THAT is a stupid question!"

I always stop for a bike, always
    Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

I always stop also, but maybe the cop glide scared em. lol
      HERD MEMBER #00027
      Riding for LT. Tim Campbell (LEO)
      In Memory of Rubberdown RIP HERD #00019
      In Memory of Betsy
      In Memory of Sabrina

Comment

Used to stop all the time. Got to the point I was stopping every 5 or 10 minutes for a guy stopped to smoke, scratch his ass, make a cell phone call.... Now, it I don't get eye contact, or they are obviously in trouble I'll wave and look for a sign.
        Official Member #00149
        2 Stinking Trikes, '09 % '11
        Social Security and Medicare
        Qualified! 65 and still riding
        Official Bona fide Geezer

Comment

Like u Tommy I lack in the technical dept but I at the least slow down and ask em if they need a phone to make a call!!
          "09" King & "10" Forty-Eight(wifes)
          If u ain't ridin u ain't livin!!

Comment

Well with just about anyone and everyone these days having a cell phone I think most people think why bother they probably already called someone.
            HERD Member #114
            2007 FLHTCU Ultra Classic
            When all else fails, GET A BIGGER HAMMER!
            If common sense was so common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Comment

The wife and I always at least stop as ask if they need help. Like screwball said, here when it gets hot you see tons of bikes on the side of the road taking rest/smoke breaks. But you can for the most part tell when someone is broke down... Usually fiddling with something.
              HERD # 00075
              08 Stage II 103 Ultra Classic
              USMC Veteran

Comment

I always stop to see if everything is ok.
                Dale
                Official HERD Member #00145
                Keep The Rubber Side Down

Comment

Like everyone else, I will always stop, or hit the horn and give a thumbs up to see if I get one back.
                  sigpic

Herd #132

Comment

I stop if it looks like they need help. 4 way flashers or a bandana on the mirror is usually what I look for.
                    Expectations managed for free

Comment

I usually make eye contact and get the OK wave before I move on. Sorry you did not have a better response from fellow riders.
                      2010 Ultra Limited/Merlot/Cherry
                      Official HERD Member #00134

Comment

I always slow, stop or get some sort of signal before passing by.
                        Those who say it can't be done should get in the way of those doing it.
                        Patriot Guard Riders # 209,359
                        Official HERD Member #00139

Comment

yep.. I always slow down and try to get a thumbs up or down.. too may times I have stopped to a guy rippin off his gloves tryin to make a run for tha woods.. lol
                          HERD MEMBER #00028
                          http://treadonthis.blogspot.com
                          How about STFU and have a glass of MOO
                          Member of the Moo Ton Crew- Ain't no Atheists at 100 up!!!

Comment

I was riding Friday afternoon and saw a bike on the sidewalk in between the road and a convenience store parking lot on a busy road out at the mall. The store parking lot had tall landscaping so the only way he could have got on the sidewalk was from the road at the crosswalk at the light. The concrete curb is lowered to asphalt level at the crosswalk for pedestrians. Dude was on an Ultra. While pulling in to the store parking lot to see if the dude needed help a Street Glide pulled in from the other entrance to see if everything was ok.

Turns out the guy was from Tennesee riding through town and had stopped there intentionally to take some pics for a ride report he was doing for H.O.G. magazine. So the three of us are standing there shooting the chit, and a pickup pulled up to see if everything was cool. Turned out I knew the dude in the pickup (he rides) so now there are four of us out there shooting the chit.

Man, it was hot that day so we all said later and went about our business. You break down up here, ya just might start a party. As long as it ain't too hot.
                            Herd member #85

sigpic

Comment

That's a funny story Strat! Too bad you will not be the centerfold for the next publication!

I also slow down for a signal to see if they are OK. Common courtesy!
                              2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                              HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Working...
                              X