Wrapping pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrapping pipes

Anyone here wrap your pipes? I am thinking about wrapping the pipes on my fatboy....
    Dane

'97 Fatboy - Screaming Eagle, Porker pipes, S&S carb, wide tire kit, custom Corbin, oil leak, etc.
    Official HERD Member #00147

Wrapping them why? Not trying to be funny, I just don't know.
    The hardest part about a Zombie Apocalypse, will be pretending I'm not excited!

Comment

Originally posted by JimP View Post
      Wrapping them why? Not trying to be funny, I just don't know.
      pure aesthetics. The more I see them the more I like them...My concern is though that there is no going back once I wrap the pipes.
      Dane

'97 Fatboy - Screaming Eagle, Porker pipes, S&S carb, wide tire kit, custom Corbin, oil leak, etc.
      Official HERD Member #00147

Comment

There was a thread about this some place else, other than if you like the looks there is no benefit to it unless you race and even then I think it was minimal, that was the gist of the thread. I personally don't care for the wrapped look.
        HERD Member #114
        2007 FLHTCU Ultra Classic
        When all else fails, GET A BIGGER HAMMER!
        If common sense was so common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Comment

Look at your scooter and see if wrapping goes with everything else that you have going on.
          2010 FLHX - Street Glide
          HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
            Look at your scooter and see if wrapping goes with everything else that you have going on.
            Agree with this. Some bikes look go with wrapped pipes then others just don't look so good at all.
            HERD Member #114
            2007 FLHTCU Ultra Classic
            When all else fails, GET A BIGGER HAMMER!
            If common sense was so common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Comment

Minimal performance. They look cool at first, when they get old they don't look so good.
              Herd member #85

sigpic

Comment

I have to agree with Strat, when they are first done it does have a certain look but after they have been on a while they tend to look like crap unless you re-wrap them every so often. Just my opinion only but I think they look good and an all blacked out, stripped down bobber but on anything else you might just take away from what you had already done. But, however that is just my opinion only. You do what you like as its your bike and not mine.
                Herd Member #87
                US Navy Veteran

Comment

Agree, never have understood the wrapping of pipes. My .02
                  Those who say it can't be done should get in the way of those doing it.
                  Patriot Guard Riders # 209,359
                  Official HERD Member #00139

Comment

Everyone knows what my bike looks like I think wrapped pipes would look good on mine too
                    Official HERD Member #00138

Comment

Your scoot has some trash look to it and it may look OK. On my bike....it would look horrendous with the vivid black....
                      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Your scoot has some trash look to it and it may look OK. On my bike....it would look horrendous with the vivid black....
                        Are you calling my bike trashy LOL
                        Official HERD Member #00138

Comment

Originally posted by Bullhurley View Post
                          Are you calling my bike trashy LOL
                          Herd Member #87
                          US Navy Veteran

Comment

Just a few tips...
                            Wrapping pipes is not too hard. I have seen some black wrap that does not look too bad on the older bikes and will stay cleaner .
                            Get the smaller wrap made for motorcycles, not the one for car headers unless you going for that look. The bigger wrap is a pain.
                            Using a clamp instead of the wire strap on the beginning and end of the wrap will ensure it will stay.

Pulling the exhaust will make it easier unless you have plenty of room around bents.
                            Not having too many beers before hand does help.

Good luck!
                            Last edited by Juiced; 08-10-2010, 06:04 AM.
                            08 FLSTC - cus we likes to ride! HERD#146 - Thanks Classy! USN - Retired
                            When I wear an "Old Navy" shirt, it is not a fashion statement, it is just a statement.
                            Looking at life from the back of the HERD....All I see is...well, you know! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Strat HD View Post
                              Minimal performance. They look cool at first, when they get old they don't look so good.
                              NO performance gains that you'll notice, feel or even see on a Dyno.

Wrapping mild chromed steel will shorten the life if the pipes to about 2 years, due to uneven expansion rates throughout the metal and higher exhaust temps. Be prepared to replace them.....

You can use DEI wrap and spray (silicone based) to keep them looking nice, but wrap on a street bike is for appearence only.

The wrap goes on 10 times better and tighter if you wet it first, then wrap the pipes, OFF the bike.
                              **Note: The technical info I provide is suggestive. I am not a perfeshunel.

"No two motorcycles should be the same. Your bike should be based on your creativity, and whatever's going on in your life at that time..." Jesse James

HERD Member #10

Comment

Working...
                              X