Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how can i clean this gunk off my motor?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can i clean this gunk off my motor?!

so since im scared to take my pipe soff now to paint my motor black (remember the head stud issue) i decided maybe ill leave it silver, so today i got to cleaning, it was nasty dirty, the only part of the bike i havent touched since i bought it. anyway it came out really nice!!! its a real bright silver now. but there are two problem areas.

the first is the valley between the push rod covers. at onne time there must have been a leak there cause it is dirty, and the gunk engine degreaser dont do anything for it. it lightly touched it with a grinding stone, but looks like it will scratch it up to much.

the other, is the fins are so corroded they look like shit too. how can i clean the fins up?

herer are pics.

and the fins
    [imghttp://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/143/l_730f4a8d464b4ff0b33b35c52b29641d.jpg][/img]
    Last edited by E-Dubs Customs; 07-24-2010, 05:43 PM.

Did you try gunk with a small brush to scrub it.?
    Dale
    Official HERD Member #00145
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

Comment

Yeah I tries gunk and brake clean. It's a pretty good stain and ugly as he'll!!

Comment

Almost looks like an iron oxide deposite Try some oxylic acid I thnk if I got my rememberins right
        THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
        How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

Here's a thread from another site.
          http://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-g...r-clean-3.html
          Herd member #85

sigpic

Comment

Babs posted somewhere that a brass bristle brush will clean up the fins. I'm interested in this too as I have a little oil staining there too. I need to get a better oil breather system. Had TP Engineering provent rocker boxes and they did'nt do chit along with a Screming Eagle oil breather kit. Hell, they can get get oil stains outta concrete http://www.topoftheline.com/driveway-stain-remover.html think I would test try this underneath the motor first though.
            Last edited by Strat HD; 07-24-2010, 07:07 PM.
            Herd member #85

sigpic

Comment

Try Castrol's Super Clean. They describe it as a 'release agent'. I've used it on all my bikes, just not the painted areas. Even dissolves the carbon on the exhaust tips. About 7 bucks a gallon at Wal-Mart.
              Official Member #00149
              2 Stinking Trikes, '09 % '11
              Social Security and Medicare
              Qualified! 65 and still riding
              Official Bona fide Geezer

Comment

See if you can find some Colonel Brassy and use a cheap electric toothbrush.

Comment

I know this sounds funny, but had a guy at HD tell me he used Denture cleaner. Dissolve several tablets in water and pour into area little at a time and use toothbrush! He said it worked great!
                  OFFICIAL HERD MEMBER #83
                  2014 FLHXS
                  U.S. NAVY Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by vlade View Post
                    Almost looks like an iron oxide deposite Try some oxylic acid I thnk if I got my rememberins right
                    Mild acid, watch what else you get it on..??
                    Those who say it can't be done should get in the way of those doing it.
                    Patriot Guard Riders # 209,359
                    Official HERD Member #00139

Comment

Engine block is clear coated right ?
                      The stain may be set into the clear, and not the metal........
                      may need to remove the clear in that section, prep and re-clear the area.....just my .02.........g
                      U.S. Army "Retired"
                      (Disabled Veteran)

Comment

Working...
                      X