Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you buy a used bike from a salt water area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you buy a used bike from a salt water area?

I've been looking at getting a 3 yr old Harley from a guy who brought the bike from Hawaii (one owner). The bike is a very low price because its just dirty from what I can tell. He is in med school and says he never rides it and can't justify keeping the insurance on it. I spoke to him and he said the front spokes and some aluminum pieces are a little oxidized. I asked if there was any rust and he said there wasn't any. I've very mechanically inclined so the whole thing (not motor or trans) will be torn apart anyway for maintenance. I don't mind a little work to get it clean but I don't want to pour a ton of money into it...at least not on cleaning it.

Anyone here live near a salt water area....whats it do to the bike? I know what is does to my boat but it's in the water.
    Whatever doesn't kill me....HAD BETTER START RUNNING!

Official HERD Member #00130

has he sent you any pics of the corrosion he's talking about. ive seen neglected bikes where the heads and much of the chrome had anodized and corroded the surface finish. i think once that happens all you can do is powder coat or re-chrome or replace

if the price is right, just figure what you'll spend to get it to "bike of the month" status or make it a rat bike
    Twenty First Herdster
    * When Its All Said And Done, Will You Have Said More Than You Have Done?
    ** How Old Would You Be If You Didnt Know How Old You Where?
    99 FLSTF
    03 FLHTCI

Comment

I've seen pictures but not very good ones. He said the front wheel (spokes) is the worst part. Luckily its a Night Train so there isn't much chrome.

Comment

I worked on the Miss. gulf coast after Katrina for a year and a half. I was in an RV but my bike had to sit outside under a cover. Polished the chrome way more than usual as I was aware of what salt air can do. I had TP engineering rocker boxes on the bike and they went to hell, pitted badly. The chrome air cleaner insert on my bike also pitted. Both of these parts are in my avitar pic as it is an old pic. So now I have $800 rocker boxes that can't even be powdercoated because they are pitted so bad. Amazingly enough all the HD chrome was unaffected, just the "show chrome". HD chrome does'nt have the mirror finish that the fancy chrome has but I will say it is much more durable. A little off topic but worth a mention.
        Herd member #85

sigpic

Comment

Thats good info Strat, thanks. Detailing is my thing so cleaning it will be challenging yet fun. If I get it most of the chrome will come off the get powder coated any way.

Comment

3 years old......even if the bike was kept right on the beach it should be fine!

3 years ain't bad.......5 years well that's a different story!

erboxerboxerboxerboxerboxerboxerboxerboxerboxerbox
            OLD SKOOL BIKERS RULE, WE DO WHAT IT TAKES AND LIKE IT!!!
            With age comes wisdom, yeah right!
            FIRST "HERD BIKE OF THE MONTH CLUB MEMBER"
            RIP Rick.....Ride On Forever In Our Hearts My Brother!

Comment

I've heard that the salt sea air can have some of the same effects as the road salt up north can have, but to Crocs point, it just may take a little longer.
              The hardest part about a Zombie Apocalypse, will be pretending I'm not excited!

Comment

first thing I would do is wash the entire bike with a mixture of water and baking soda
                Ride in Peace Wndchsr

www.my.doterra.com/jbush

Comment

paint wont be the problem it'll be raw metal that suffers inside the tubing and places that paint dont get too.
                  THE NEGATIVE ONE no better don't click
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
                  How's my Spelin, CALL 1-800-BOSS to report my bad spelizin

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                    first thing I would do is wash the entire bike with a mixture of water and baking soda
                    Good idea. I heard that water and vinegar works well too. Have you ever heard of this?

Comment

Where is the bike now? If it's local, lets ride over and look at it.
                      2010 FLHX - Street Glide
                      HERD MEMBER #00003

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss View Post
                        Where is the bike now? If it's local, lets ride over and look at it.
                        I wish it was here in town but its outside of San Antonio. I'm headed there in the morning to look at it and grab some great food.

Comment

Originally posted by CLL375 View Post
                          Good idea. I heard that water and vinegar works well too. Have you ever heard of this?
                          Depends what you are washin'..................................just sayin'
                          There is a special place in our hearts... Carved out for our memories
                          R.I.P. RubberDown
                          R.I.P. James "Jimbo"
                          Reese

Comment

Originally posted by CLL375 View Post
                            Thats good info Strat, thanks. Detailing is my thing so cleaning it will be challenging yet fun. If I get it most of the chrome will come off the get powder coated any way.
                            While it's apart, you could take a look at applying some oil spray, (drip-less) it can be sprayed in the frame tubes and nooks & crannys.

As stated, the bikes only 3 yrs old, tear it down,wash er up and oil spray the bare steel & yer good to go.Don't forget the swing arm assembly & pivot shaft.
                            HERD MEMBER #0057

If i only had more time..............

Comment

You said a
                              Vey low price right ??
                              Does the Bike pull your soul a bit,,,
                              If so go for it,,
                              Herd #124
                              Age 10 and holding
                              Official Herd Poser

Comment

Working...